Early wars

Aquaplex

Chieftain
How do yo u wage wars against AI in the first 3 eras? I play on king (5) difficulty and i barely have enough happiness to get first 4 cities up without going into red on happiness. I'm not sure how you can start wars and actually maintain them early. My last game i was Japan and got DOW'd in the first 50 turns and eventually everyone was declaring war on me. It just seems to me it's impossible to maintain happiness when you are at war early on. Not until you get your happiness producing infrastructure in middle game that you can even maintain wars. I remember i took over Assyrian capital in the first 60 turns and it took like 70 turns before the city stopped revolting (as a puppet). Looking for some advice on how to war early.

Also another quick question. I usually go tall (4 cities max) and puppet all other cities i conquer, unless it's a wonder city which i annex. Is that the right move?

Yeah, puppeting every city you conquer is the bad move. Since you're going tall you probably don't ever want to annex a city unless it is a truly spectacular city as far as producing things go (I'm thinking strong food/production with Alhambra built in it). You should only puppet quality cities, any of the junk cities the AI loves to build should just be razed. Razing cities that lack strategic potency or tactical importance will do a lot to aid your happiness woes.

Top Bottom