[Vanilla] Earning a science victory

AlanH11

Chieftain
Basic game : I have read a lot of comments about how easy it is to achieve a science victory once you've built a spaceport(s), and my own experiences back this up. It's unsatisfactory that the last part of the game can be so dull and lacking in jeopardy when you know you'll win.

There is a solution that lies in the financial aspect to the game. It may have been mentioned before. If it has, I just haven't seen it.

IMO, two things need to happen to add jeopardy and excitement to the science victory:
1. Put back the ability to build the spaceport. It comes too early. There needs to be at least two more techs in the path. This would put the spaceport more solidly in the right era, and ensure the other civs were competitive - I'm thinking particularly of the nuclear aspect.
2. Tie in the building of the spaceport with a cost. (This would be in line with reality - what poor country ever built a spaceport?) My suggestion would be to have a fund to build the spaceport, then have a 'cost-per-turn' levy, with maybe an additional launch fee. Eg, to fund the first satellite project, an initial funding of (say) 1000 gold, plus (say) 20 gold per turn, and another 1000 to launch.
The moon landing would cost more, and the Mars projects would be expensive.

Viable?

Again, apologies if this has already been suggested, or if the add-ons, which I haven't got, cover it.

Top Bottom