1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Earth 1000 AD, How To Get A Perfect Start

Discussion in 'Civ4 Strategy Articles' started by Col.D, Feb 25, 2006.

1. Col.D

Col.D Chieftain

First of all, altho you'll all say,"MONTY WOULD DESTROY YOU, YOUR STUPID, *nag nag nag*." You are forgetting he is 700 years behind you, like it really was. So your musketmen and Samuri will destroy their archers (by the end of the war if your slow he'll even have longbowmen! Omg!) and this is just one of many ways to win this scenario (you can play Lost Units with this, very good :D)

Chose the Japanese Empire, research the needed techs for Astronmy make a army of Samuri, send your Samuri which you get at the start to take over Pyongyang (Korea), it may be captured by Gengis, so just declare war :D . Then, if he has captured Yanjing (roughly 5 squares west and has a Shrine) to the west take it over (peace as soon as you can after this, his other cities are pointless). If it belongs to the Chinese Empire, who are VERY weak, (1 archer unit per city usually, and war with Gengis Khan) just declare war. By this time your army of Samuri (only 4 or so strong) will go in, and take over Dongjing, 3 squares south of Yangjing, it also has a Shrine, more income:goodjob: . After you have your Samuri army build Catapults, send these to the east coast of china, weaken it and let the Samuri do the rest. If you wish end the war do so now. If not send more Samuri to take the southern Chinese cities.

Now that you have the east coast of Asia build a 6 unit army of Samuri/Catapults.

Build your galleons as soon as you get Astronmy.You get your galleons, load them with your army and 3 settlers and head 3 squares down and the rest east. When you reach the south-west coast of America, monty will have a city built on the lower west coast of modern day america, raze it if your short on money, it has some luxurixes like gold and the very hard to find...Stone (How strange is that....) but it is too much desert and such, no food.. Then you head for the American/Mexican boarder, the city here will be in a perfect postion, altho no port it has fresh water, great resources and it became to be my captial with HUGE production. From here send a small army south to conquer Mexico, Monty's captial. If you want follow the east coast south to the barbarian state of Chicen Itza. The whole time your doing this you should be building reinforcements to keep the war machine going.

Head north of the American/Mexian boarder and build/conquer cities there until you get the the tundra, it's pointless really.... Next build cities east of all the ones that you already have. England will have some cities in north-east America.

Thats about it, but a good step to secure most of the world's oil would be to take the most easterly piece of land (which will be a barbarian state). It will have oil. Along with modern day Veneuzla.

Helpful pointers with research: Try to aim for Communist tech for SP, it'll save you LOADS of cash. 2nd is flight, this map is huge obviously and it would be much better to be able to airlift your workers and units instead of spending 10 turns on a boat. Next would be Combustion for your destroyers, navy is very importent for wars here so you can accually attack Europe. Marines with Industruialism for taking over coastal cities ASAP.

That's all :D

2. picardathon

picardathon Noobzor

Meh, a Japanese win is easy anyway, I just stayed on asia and made a nice 15 city empire conquering portions of China, India, South Asia Barbs, and India
    I've won with England, Arabia, and Japan, they're all easy to hold with.

3. moggydave

moggydave Warlord

You won with arabia?

altough they are the most powerful in europe at the beginning they have everyone at war with them

when i played i got kicked by the reconquista in spain and the crusades,

i havnt tried england and def not japan, what other civs are easy on it?

4. Col.D

Col.D Chieftain

Freddy is pretty easy, England have a good starting postion. I'mma edit my post a lil now

5. picardathon

picardathon Noobzor

I won on noble with the three groups
    The crusades is composed of six units, I just rerouted the camel archers in India to the west. I held Andalusia and stopped the crusades
    The holy roman empire is what I'm playing with now, it seems easy to cut apart the Byzantines and Vikings but the Russians are a cagey foe, you can't really conquer the whole thing (Just like real life!!!)

6. dennylynch

dennylynch Chieftain

100o AD Scenario: I've won with Arabia, Genghis, Spain, Japan, but the I would think india and the Masai maru would be nearly impossible. Are they?

7. Conquestador

Conquestador Chieftain

I'm doing my first try to this scenario with Mansa Musa (i guess you call him Masai Maru) on prince. Now it is around 1930 and i have by far the higest GNP, i'm cathing up on tech but i'm still behind in score (only tokugawa, asoka, monty e Hayuna are behind me ).
    I want to try a space victory ... i will see what happen.

8. Cheeze

Cheeze Civ Re-Re-Re-Addict

I've won with Saladin, Frederick, Qin Shui Huang (or however you spell it), and Montezuma.

Saladin is really easy, I've won with him twice. First time I was kinda passive, didn't expand much, won space in 2000s. Second time I got lucky with Cordoba, held it, and took all of India quickly. Jerusalem is easy to hold, you just go 0% research, move all Camel Archers except the ones in India and maybe West Africa, and move the Archer from Mecca. Upgrade the archers that survive the first turn and the one from Mecca. Also, you can expand a lot of good cities into eastern Africa (burning the barb cities that have terrible placement), and middle Asia is also relatively free. India is nice, becomes a later game production center and has room for founding some fishing villages and such.

Frederick, the easiest way is to get the Oracle, Gunpowder from the Oracle, and after taking Visegrade and Danzig (in that order) take on the French. Then the Byzantines. Often you can resettle the Viking area, as it is often burned.

China, fight off Mongolia, kill them and also take Pyongyang, kill barbs, expand, etc. India is an option, but I just ignored it.

Montezuma just expand really quick and concentrate on getting gold so you can expand and then research faster. Never get a state religion, you want everyone to love you. Colossus is nice, but Astronomy is great for the overseas trade routes, since you'll have a ton of cities. Try and shoot for New England first, because England colonizes it very quickly, as I found to my dismay. Stop expanding at the tundra, though. The great thing about Monty is you have gobs of resources: I believe at one point I was making twice as much gold by trading resources as I was getting from taxes. I was literally getting 150 gpt in this way. I suppose I could've gone for South America too, as it usually isn't colonized for a while, depending how much France and Germany are fighting.

I really want to try with Mansa Musa soon. Interesting to see how it will be different from the Aztecs, with worse land but meeting Europe a lot sooner.

9. Mesix

Mesix One of Porg

First off, I want to say that this is one of the most fun scenarios that does not require a mod to play.

I won with Japan by building a huge empire that spanned the South Pacific. I had three big cities on Japan two in the Philippines, and at least one on every other major island. I had six cities in Australia. Once I took Australia I corssed the Pacific to America. My Samurai made short work of the barbarians and civs that I found there. I had four cities along the coast of South America (on the Pacific side of the mountains). I also had cities in central America, Mexico, the Western half of America.

My first colony after getting sailing was in Korea. I did not have to conquer it, the land was still open for colinization. If I remember right there were two rice resources there which helped my city to grow fast.

I did declare war in Asia in the late game, just because Gengis Kahn was annoying and his cities were easy pickings. In hind sight, maybe your idea to push into Asia earlier would have been a good move. I don't think it is necessary though, unless you enjoy being at war. There is enough free land that you can sail to with ample resources.

10. Mulholland

Mulholland Happy New Year!!!!

when I played earth the other day on prince there was no english or aztec civilization. The New world was all barbs and the british Isles were all german. Wierd.

11. TCGTRF

TCGTRF Warlord

This is a specific scenario--Earth 1000AD. You're talking about the Earth Scenario that starts in Ancient times.

Tom

12. Solo4114

Solo4114 Prince

Any suggestions for starting as the English? Last night I managed to capture Jerusalem easily, then lost it just as easily, while trying to manage viking raids, which were rather a pain. I'd just started building up my military, and was planning on attacking Dublin and some viking cities but started thinking maybe taking an isolationist approach would be wiser.

13. Nefelia

Nefelia Prince

Well, I can't offer a perfect start, but I can offer a solution to the Mongol Keshik Rush that would otherwise cripple China. ;)

1st Turn:
    - Identify all cities that can pop-rush Spearmen, get them started on Spearmen. All other cities can start on Musketmen. Exception: Lin'an, which will build a Forge.
    - Move your Chu-no-ku from Yanjing onto the Iron. If you are lucky, you will take out two Keshiks.
    - Move all defence from their city to Yanjing, but keep one Archer in Dongjing, Chengdu, Qingzhou, and Lin'an.
    - Change civic to Slavery and Vassalage.

2nd Turn:
    - Pop-rush all of your Spearmen, even the one being built in Dongjing (which only takes 2 turns at this point. This is your last turn with Iron until the Mongols are beaten off.
    - By now Yanjing should have received one Archer and one Chu-no-ku to bolster the city defence. Leave them in the city and fortify.

3rd turn:
    - Your Spearmen have been built. The Spearman, Chu-no-ku, and 2 or so archers will keep Yanjing safe. Bring the spearmen from Dongjing and Guangzhou to Yanjing.
    - Move the spearman from Changsha two squares to the west to intercept the arbarian War Elehant sneaking up on you.

At this point, the initial Mongol Rush is petering out. Use your spearmen to mop up the rest. Persue the war if you wish, but Pyongyang and Hanoi have much better land, and are not that difficult to get.

DongJing, Changsha, and Guangzhou are pop-rush fodder. Barracks + Forge will make them perfect troop factories with Slavery.

Lin'an: Get Workers to chop the forest on the hill and then build a quarry on the marble. Build forge, and then Oracle, and then Lighthouse (Great Library is impossible, you get the tech too late). With a few wonders in this city, and the abundance of food resources, this makes an ideal GPP farm.

With the Oracle, get Liberalism. Lol. What tech you choose from there is up to you. ;)

14. bhinso

bhinso Warlord

I won with England on Prince Just last week. You only get two Knights on the Crusades to start with, I used them to take Cairo (weakly defended) and made peace ASAP. This gave me marble (and hence better access to wonders) and also the Pyramids as a bonus. Then built some marble wonders (Oracle, Great Library) and made a bee line for Liberalism.
    Then the game kept crashing because it didn't like Huge Map and lots of Civs in conjunction with my 3.6GHz PC and 9600 Raedon Graphics Card...

15. war65

war65 Chieftain

I know im new here but I won with France I tried freddy and lost but with French i killed salidin with spain then took holy roman empier russia to cause freddy dident take out byzatines and russia at full wasr were fighting a two front war(not good :D ) got masacred by me im trying russia now and my my my im getting owend faster than you flip a flapjack on sundays

16. war65

war65 Chieftain

OK I tried Russia again this time pretty good my empier is almost hit mongalia im still trying to expand i just reached industrial age cause i had to reaserch long milatarial stuff so Byzatines early attack dont ruin me but I got a preety good econimy going im planing to catch up in tech im plaing to take Byzatine empier soon as i got enough cossacks im plaining on cultral victory if saldin or anyone else surpases me im posting a pic soon

17. Tokugawa Pringl

Tokugawa Pringl Chieftain

War65, excellent strategy. However, I have a alternate plan that I am currently using. By the way, I'm a newbie to Civ 4, buying it two days ago. However, I am a professional at Civilization 3. After all, I started playing in 2003.

So, let's get started.

Like his nation, I chose to be Japan. I was peaceful. For a while that is, until Mao Zedong with a zit and China wanted me to go to war with Mongolia. With my troops, and my landgrabb techniques, I agreed. So, while I'm conquering Manchuria, Korea and the Himalyas- just to kill the Mongols. Genghis Khan is on the run.

After that, I shall aim for Matatma Ghandi- with a nuke. No one takes my Himalyan outpost. Not even with culture. My Samurais will quickly take over India and Sri Lanka, and I shall turn my eyes towards Oceania.

And then, who knows? It's fun. But, it's a good way of building up. Manchuria/Korea has a LOT of farming resources, especially right above China near the barbs. It's great for your population, and your future expansions.

18. war65

war65 Chieftain

Russia is very hard as I said above your attack by barbs byzatines which are anyoing but if you allly with saldin he takes care of them on his way up... so ya I think japan is too easy im gonna try India mabey take indo china(vietnam country) and hopefully not get my butt owend by saladin...

19. war65

war65 Chieftain

Man i got owend saldinds C.A's kicked my butt

20. seiya

seiya Chieftain

Thats what happened to me the first time i played the scenario with Russia... second time it didnt i played better i owned his camels with Cossaks.. i mean totally owned , he attacked with a load of camel archers + infantry but not as much infantry as camels... then i messed up by giving him peace for 500 gold... later i got owned cause he had gotten cavalry ;p oh well, not sure i wanna play with Russia again haha