1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Earth 18 Civs start

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Goblin0136, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Goblin0136

Goblin0136 Chieftain

Hey guys this is my first post. :king: And I was wondering what are the better starts in earth 18 civs and why do you think the starts are good? Thanks in advance.

2. Amao

Amao King

German/Roman/Persian/Chinese are the easiest. There are discussions here and in the sub forum.

3. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

Earth 18 is pretty simple due to close spots

Europe (except England)-- kill all your neighbors and get LOTS of great land
    England-- Tech without interference, ignore everyone, and overrun Europe at your leisure
    Russia-- Overrun Europe with your horses
    Egypt-- Overrun the Middle East, laugh at Mansa.
    China-- Kill Mongolia, and expand like a beast across Asia. Great wall can help.

4. GGracchus

GGracchus Tribune of Rome

Welcome to the forums Goblin0136:cheers:. IMO, the best starts are China and anything in Europe(particularly Rome and Germany) because of the land you can get easily(by taking out everything else in Europe bar cathy/lizzy or GK)

Try reading the KOTW(King of the World) series games here, as they cover various starts of various leaders, they're hosted by Neal.

5. Kid R

Kid R Emperor

Montezuma's start is also ridiculously good although it's not so much like shooting fish in a barrel as some. It requires focused settling and empire management to go with any warmongering.

Oodles of empty land, huge variety of nearby resources. Great position between two peaceful and not overly-expansionist neighbours who you can trade with or conquer as you want. First dibs on amazonia, all sorts of ways to play it.

Only downside is it requires later-era play to win from the old world so it needs a decent PC.

6. stimpyhoek

stimpyhoek Warlord

if u mean offline then I would say Germany. Easy to rush neighbours, freakishly good land and philo abuse.

7. coanda

coanda Emperor

In rough order of how easy I consider their starts...
    Anything in Europe can take over all of Europe with early aggressive play and possibly one or two mop-up wars once catapults are available. Tons of land, and tons of resources, means you get an easy coast to victory from there.

Qin Shi Huang gets a lot of really nice food-heavy land on the coast of China; take out Mongolia early, expand into SE Asia, then crush Japan at your leisure. You'll have no threatening neighbors and lots of land to work with.

Montezuma gets an easy start... expand to 2-3 cities, then jaguar rush Roosevelt. Easy sailing from there... fill in North America at your leisure; you'll easily be way ahead of everyone else in land and population when you meet the Old World. Roosevelt can do the same, but his start is weaker and Monty builds more units, so it's a little trickier to pull off.

Hatty and Cyrus both can make good use of their early UUs to take over everything from Cairo to Delhi. You're left with two uneasy neighbors - Alexander and Qin Shi Huang - but you should be able to handle it at that point.

Asoka has some reasonably nice land to work with. An early REX into SE Asia to block off China can give secure you enough land for victory if played well.

Tokugawa and Genghis Khan both have to deal with China, but having killed China will find it easy to take China's place as eastern superpower.

Saladin... you almost have to chariot-rush either Cyrus or Hatty. Having achieved that, you're in a position to start thinking further ahead, but the game is still far from won.

Huayna Capac has a tough start for the impatient. It's all about tedious micro for about 300 turns while you chop, farm, and cottage South America. Expect to be behind in tech when you meet the Old World, but you'll catch up quickly with tech trades, then pull ahead thanks to your strong economy. Once you get to Communism, you can put down workshops in place of some of those cottages if you want for a huge late-game production advantage over anyone else. Space-ship wins are fairly straightforward as HC, as are nuclear domination wins.

Mansa Musa... have fun. Definitely the toughest start in Earth18. Play it like the Moors - migrate to the north coast of Africa, take over that area plus Spain, and try to push your way to victory from there.

And I'll second GGracchus - welcome to the forum!

8. whats a navy

whats a navy Prince

If you are playing multiplayer the island civs, Japan and England, are very good but in single player its china, persia, and any of the four europeans, Spain, France, Germany Rome, because they can warrior rush easily.

9. GGracchus

GGracchus Tribune of Rome

In the case of warrior rushing you need to turn off city razing: i forgot in a game as JC and accidentally razed Paris.

10. kensington888

kensington888 Warlord

Also with the greeks built lots of their UUs and conquer all other European civs.

11. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

Yea, bascially, if you're in or near Europe, your goal is to turn the Mediterranean into your own little pond.

12. Army of Scouts

Army of Scouts Noble Cheater

Rome is :king: on this map. You get iron and wipe out europeans take izzy's holy city for economy. paris is godly good lizbeth is trapped. next go for suez for chock point there's flood plains around the suez, get astronomy and conquor america....... Do I need to keep going?:D:D It's just brokenly good.

13. Silverbow

Silverbow Prince

Any European civ can rush the rest of the continent easily. France, Germany and Rome are probably best positioned for it.

14. dalamb

dalamb Deity

A first post deserves a celebration :band: :woohoo::beer::dance:

A warrior rush in Europe is so easy that even I could do it back when I was barely competent at Noble. Rome's Praetorians make expanding out of Europe easy for quite a while, but I managed fine with Spain which is arguably the weakest of the continental European civs. If you don't play Russia you have to watch out for them expanding eastward and getting so much land they give you trouble.

It's a huge map, though, so conquest and domination can take a very long time. I forget: is there enough Old World land for a domination win without warring in the Americas?

15. Ataxerxes

Ataxerxes Deity

I did Earth18 as Rome on Noble one time. I stopped the Prat rampage when India capitulated - I couldn't find the island he was left with. You do want to relocate London or it conflicts with Paris too much.

Remember, on higher levels the AI's don't start with Archery on Earth18. The only hard starts are Mali and Inca. You can get huge as Roosie or Monty but can't tech trade until Optics. You rush your neighbor as anybody else.

16. Amao

Amao King

@dalamb, the domination limit is 51% on Earth 18civ. So, it's very doable in the old world alone. But you do need to take out almost everybody there, and to maintain around 90 cities.

17. Sir Penguinboy

Sir Penguinboy Chieftain

I always like to use russia. Lots of land to expand into and its filled with recourcess and not much competition. Just keep an eye on europe to prevent people from getting to much power and challenging you. Especially Germany who you need to seal off in Scandinavia so they dont go east.

18. MarigoldRan

MarigoldRan WARLORD

As Rome, you can take out Germany and France with your initial warrior at Marathon. If the warrior spawns next to the Alps, just move it straight at their capitals.

Or you can start as the French and immediately take out the Germans.

1. The Germans start with hunting, so they don't have a warrior.
    2. The French like to send their warriors in random directions, because the AI is programmed to "scout" in the early-game, allowing your warrior to beeline to their undefended capital.

19. whats a navy

whats a navy Prince

That would work, except the AI gets free hammers at the beginning of the game for a warrior which defends their capital and is built on turn 2 no matter what. Now unless it is multiplayer, where humans don't get the bonus, it will not work.

20. coanda

coanda Emperor

I've seen it work. That particular game was on Emperor, so maybe on Deity they build it on T2? I don't know what conditions there are, but it certainly is possible to take a vacant capital with your starting warrior on Earth18.