1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Earth 192x120

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Pre-made Maps' started by Carter, Jul 17, 2007.

1. ChicagoNik

ChicagoNik Chieftain

i downloaded the map and it is amazing! however when I try the random map I always start in the same spot, does anyone know why this is? and how to fix it? I also wanted to see if I could somehow combine this mod with varietas delectat, anyone know if thats possible?

2. Atum

Atum Chieftain

I'm not sure about the random map thing, but you can use this map with Varietas Delectat. That's what I do. There are a couple of XML files that are used by both so you just have to make sure that they are either the same or that you merge the differences into the file that you use. Then I put the files (merged, map, and VD) in a mod together and use that mod. I don't remember specifics, but this generally it.

3. 0Artur0

0Artur0 Chieftain

So, big maps are hard on computer... but how hard? What kind of computer do you need to play 32 civ map without coffee break every turn? I guess the most important thing here is CPU power?

4. Leiche

Leiche Chieftain

It runs on an AMD Athlon X2 7850 with 4GB RAM pretty smooth :)

5. Woerkilt

Woerkilt Chieftain

A possible solution for folks trying to get the extra civs to run in 3.19 is to simply download Lt. Bob's 40 Civs .dll file. It allows all 34 playable civs, plus six colonies. Version 6 is updated to patch 3.19. Just replace the .dll used in Carter's Mod with Bob's file.

Next, go into the private maps folder and open Carter's 32-civ map file in either Windows notepad or in an XML editor. You need to make sure that the map accounts for all 34 civilization slots. I only have Carter's 18 civ version, so I can't tell you what the expanded map holds, but it should list 0-33 civ slots for Lt. Bob's .dll to work. If it doesn't, just copy one of the civ slots, paste it at the end of the list as many times as necessary to cover the missing slots, and then adjust the data accordingly.

I.E., Carter only has 32 civs, numbered 0-31, so copy and paste the last slot twice, then renumber them 32 and 33 respecitvely. You'll also have to fill in the fields with either the two missing civilzations, or just type "NONE". This will get you the 34 slots needed for Bob's .dll to work in 3.19. Oh, and finally, if you add the civs instead of "none", you'll also need to type in starting location coordinates. These can't be over water, or on top of another civ's start location, or you'll lose the game as soon as the map loads.

For more detailed steps on editing map files, just check the mod and editing forums.

6. Woerkilt

Woerkilt Chieftain

I usually played these Giant maps at Epic speed with the Extra mod and 24+ Civs, which means minute-long turn cycles and Memory Allocation Failures out the wazoo by the Industrial Era. This was on Windows Vista 32-bit with 3 GBs of PC-5300 667 Mhz RAM. I just upgraded to Windows 7 x64 and 4 gigs of RAM, so I'll let you know how that works. I would prefer if the developers simply made a more stable Giant mode with official support for more civs on that map size, but that means waiting for CIV 5, probably.

RAM matters as much as CPU, if not more so. Remember that BTS is a 32-bit program, so it can only use about 3.25 Gigs of physical RAM. Even if you have a 64-bit machine with 4 gigs, or 8 gigs, BTS can't use the full amount. Finally, make sure your files are defragmented and tidy, especially on an XP machine or older. Vista and Windows 7 seem considerably more stable in this area.

7. JiimBV

JiimBV Afro Samurai

Hmm... I'm suffering from a very bad problem. The mod doesn't even TRY to load. Not even a simple "ERROR" sign.

This has nothing to do with my game and it's mod-loading capabilities, as all other mods work. My BTS is upgraded to v3.19. Is that the problem? Someone please help. :p

The only thing that might be it is it's such a huge mod that it will take 30 minutes to just start loading (which is what happened with CIV Gold).

8. Woerkilt

Woerkilt Chieftain

This mod uses a custom .dll that is not updated to 3.19. I have another giant map mod that wouldn't load, and didn't give me an error message, just like yours. But when I loaded the 18 Civ map from the worldbuilder folder without activating the mod, it was fine. I'm pretty sure you just need to replace that CV_Core.dll with a new one--see my instructions above.

9. Atum

Atum Chieftain

Post #236 has files that are updated to 3.19.

If you downloaded the files in the first post and are running 3.19 it won't work.

10. blithe

blithe Chieftain

Hi people!

I've downloaded the mod for BTS and placed the mod under BTS/Mods. However, when I want to load the mod for 24 civs or 35 civs, the game exits to desktop to load the mod, buıt it never loads it!!! I can only play this mod with 18 Civs.

Can anyone help me?

thanks.

11. stljeffbb

stljeffbb XML Journeyman!

I had a quick question.....what is the land to ocean ratio? I've been playing around with some planet generators that offer an option like "More than 70% ocean", and I simply wondered what this map was...if no one knows, I will count the tiles by hand and report back....thanks again Carter for your fine work! :)

Regards,

Jeff

12. mentok

mentok Chieftain

This doesn't work with BUG mod, is there a way to get it to work?

13. NiRv4n4

NiRv4n4 King

I have a problem. I am able to load the mod, and after I get everything set up, I go to launch scenario or whatever. While the map is loading, it crashes and I get the "send error report" message. I am using BTS, and I really have no idea why this is happening.

14. republic-an

republic-an Chieftain

I followed your steps but I don't see anything in the txt of the map that even mentions civs, just plots. No 0-31. I tried to upload the txt file as an attachment but it's 2.01MB in size.

Never mind. I'm an idiot. Right there at the beginning.

I'm not sure I understand. I copy and paste to make new slots for the new civs. But what do I put in for the names of the civs and whatnot? How do I know what starting techs to give the new team slots or does it even matter?

Or do I only need to edit this at the beginning:

EndTeam
    BeginTeam
    TeamID=33 (34, etc.)
    Tech=TECH_FISHING
    Tech=TECH_MINING
    ContactWithTeam=2
    RevealMap=0

And not worry about the civ specific section?

EndTeam
    BeginPlayer
    Team=0
    LeaderType=LEADER_SALADIN
    LeaderName=Saladin
    CivDesc=Arabian Empire
    CivShortDesc=Arabia
    CivAdjective=Arabian
    FlagDecal=Art/Interface/TeamColor/FlagDECAL_Arabic.dds
    WhiteFlag=0
    CivType=CIVILIZATION_ARABIA
    Color=PLAYERCOLOR_LIGHT_GREEN
    ArtStyle=ARTSTYLE_MIDDLE_EAST
    PlayableCiv=1
    MinorNationStatus=0
    StartingGold=28
    StartingX=130, StartingY=16
    StateReligion=
    StartingEra=ERA_ANCIENT
    RandomStartLocation=false
    CivicOption=CIVICOPTION_GOVERNMENT, Civic=CIVIC_DESPOTISM
    CivicOption=CIVICOPTION_LEGAL, Civic=CIVIC_BARBARISM
    CivicOption=CIVICOPTION_LABOR, Civic=CIVIC_TRIBALISM
    CivicOption=CIVICOPTION_ECONOMY, Civic=CIVIC_DECENTRALIZATION
    CivicOption=CIVICOPTION_RELIGION, Civic=CIVIC_PAGANISM
    Handicap=HANDICAP_NOBLE
    EndPlayer

I hope I am clear in what I am asking?

15. republic-an

republic-an Chieftain

Okay, I've edited the team section to add the extra civs, 0-39 for a total of 40(though not the techs just yet):

BeginTeam
    TeamID=32
    Tech=TECH_HUNTING
    Tech=TECH_MINING
    ContactWithTeam=32
    RevealMap=0
    EndTeam
    BeginTeam
    TeamID=33
    Tech=TECH_HUNTING
    Tech=TECH_MINING
    ContactWithTeam=33
    RevealMap=0
    EndTeam
    BeginTeam
    TeamID=34
    Tech=TECH_HUNTING
    Tech=TECH_MINING
    ContactWithTeam=34
    RevealMap=0
    EndTeam
    BeginTeam
    TeamID=35
    Tech=TECH_HUNTING
    Tech=TECH_MINING
    ContactWithTeam=35
    RevealMap=0
    EndTeam
    BeginTeam
    TeamID=36
    Tech=TECH_HUNTING
    Tech=TECH_MINING
    ContactWithTeam=36
    RevealMap=0
    EndTeam
    BeginTeam
    TeamID=37
    Tech=TECH_HUNTING
    Tech=TECH_MINING
    ContactWithTeam=37
    RevealMap=0
    EndTeam
    BeginTeam
    TeamID=38
    Tech=TECH_HUNTING
    Tech=TECH_MINING
    ContactWithTeam=38
    RevealMap=0
    EndTeam
    BeginTeam
    TeamID=39
    Tech=TECH_HUNTING
    Tech=TECH_MINING
    ContactWithTeam=39
    RevealMap=0
    EndTeam

Just wondering what to do with the "Player" section which was my original question for the new slots 32-39.

16. republic-an

republic-an Chieftain

Oops, just realized I was supposed to stop at 33 to allow for the colonies which makes this considerably easier but still needing the info for the extra civs under "Player" details. Thanks again.

17. republic-an

republic-an Chieftain

Okay, I really need to start over today. I see where you mention writing NONE for the missing civs but I'm still not clear how you would input that information correctly.

18. republic-an

republic-an Chieftain

BeginPlayer
    Team=32
    LeaderType=NONE
    LeaderName=NONE
    CivDesc=NONE
    CivShortDesc=NONE
    CivAdjective=NONE
    FlagDecal=NONE
    WhiteFlag=NONE
    CivType=NONE
    Color=NONE
    ArtStyle=NONE
    PlayableCiv=1
    MinorNationStatus=0
    StartingGold=0
    StartingX=NONE
    StateReligion=
    StartingEra=ERA_ANCIENT
    RandomStartLocation=false
    CivicOption=CIVICOPTION_GOVERNMENT, Civic=CIVIC_DESPOTISM
    CivicOption=CIVICOPTION_LEGAL, Civic=CIVIC_BARBARISM
    CivicOption=CIVICOPTION_LABOR, Civic=CIVIC_TRIBALISM
    CivicOption=CIVICOPTION_ECONOMY,

Civic=CIVIC_DECENTRALIZATION
    CivicOption=CIVICOPTION_RELIGION, Civic=CIVIC_PAGANISM
    Handicap=HANDICAP_NOBLE
    EndPlayer

???

Am I on the right track or totally screwed up?

19. republic-an

republic-an Chieftain

Copied this from another forum but I notice the info is truncated compared to what's on Carters (i.e. Carter's civ player information contains more data as I posted above):

BeginPlayer
    Team=32
    LeaderType=NONE
    CivType=NONE
    Color=NONE
    ArtStyle=NONE
    Handicap=HANDICAP_NOBLE
    EndPlayer
    BeginPlayer
    Team=33
    LeaderType=NONE
    CivType=NONE
    Color=NONE
    ArtStyle=NONE
    Handicap=HANDICAP_NOBLE
    EndPlayer

Results: CTD, No string given for crash (which is kind of weird but seems to be the norm in Windows 7). I attached a jpeg of the screenshot anyway in case I'm missing something obvious. I'm really wanting this to work and know I must be making a novice's error.

Attached Files:

20. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Even when you want the places 34-39 to be empty and available for colonies you have to add these entries in the same way like your examples for 32+33.