Earth 2010 PBEM

Tigranes

Armenian
WELCOME TO TODAY!

Well, almost today... It is October 2010 AD. Planet Earth. The world as we know it. Chose to be the leader of USA, China, Russia, Europe, or Muslim World and chose your path to victory:

This PBEM game is based on my adaptation of excellent Earth 2010 BTS scenario by Barbarian King. I did few alterations with the original scenario, like made sure that every country starts with SDI (75% interception) to prevent overuse of nukes. Marathon speed, terrorists in few troubled places (including Osama bin Laden ;)), few changes with the map, etc...

Players have absolute freedom in the way they chose to win, Earth2010 does not have to be WW3 or Nuclear Winter :nuke:, as you can see we have 3 more Victory Options defined under "House rules". To preserve the balance there are only 3 additional house rules -- everything else is regulated by the game settings:

House Rule 1: Human leaders of USA, China, Russia, and EU CANNOT declare war on AI civs (vassal AIs are excluded).
House Rule 2: All Human players CANNOT trade cities with non-vassal AI civs. City liberation is excluded.
House Rule 3: Human leaders of USA, China, Russia, and EU CANNOT declare war (or bribe AI to declare war) during the FIRST turn.

Everything else is allowed, including 2 or more human players agreeing in private to act against the other human player (like leaders in the real world often do). I want total freedom of action for the players, as much as possible, even if it leads to chaos -- many times real world feels like a chaos anyway! Any particular exploit will be banned or new house rule will be created only after the vote of 5 players. Game must be able to enforce its rules. We would need at least 3 "for" votes to pass anything, so please be active. I suggest 48 hours max between getting an email from one player and sending it to another. I also suggest posting simple progress report in whatever format to make this fan for lurkers. Players will chose themselves what they will inform the World about after they played their turn.

And so... We HAVE 5 charismatic Human Leaders to make the World a better place as defined by the interests of the following factions:

Player 1 (kiwitt). American block: USA and Taiwan. US Vassals are Israel, South Korea, Iraq.
Player 2 (Luthor_Saxburg). Communist block & Iran: China. Vassals are Iran, North Korea.
Player 3 (Tigranes). Russian block: Russia with vassal Kazakhstan,
Player 4 (Eclipse4449) EU block: UK, France, Germany and EU as German Vassal.
Player 5 (Nighthawk419). Muslim block: Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Indonesia, Egypt, Libya, Mali. Resigned 02.25.2013.

Order of battle of USA, China, Russia and Germany is presented in the second post. No info is disclosed about the Muslim block :mischief:

If you are interested:

1. Download latest version of Earth 2010 and place it in your Beyond the Sword/Mods folder. If Gamefront fails you try Mediafire instead...

2. (Optional) Check out my adaptation by downloading and double-clicking the (regular) American save file attached bellow. You can also get familiar with the starting situation by downloading my WordbuilderSave file. Those files are not required for PBEM game. You will get your playable PBEM save file via email.

3. Chose your faction by posting here. I am reserving the USA for me but am willing to trade with any other faction.

4. PM me or post your email. Mine is atigr at yahoo dot com.

5. Have the greatest fun in this summer :goodjob:

Thanks to everyone! I had a blast for 1 year (62 turns)! :)
GAME OVER !!!

And the winners are :high5::

Attachments

• Barack Obama AD-2010-October.CivBeyondSwordSave
    840.8 KB · Views: 121
  • victories.jpg
    victories.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 862

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0076.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0076.JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 936
  • Civ4ScreenShot0074.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0074.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 944
  • Civ4ScreenShot0073.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0073.JPG
    114 KB · Views: 876
  • Civ4ScreenShot0075.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0075.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 871
Sign me up.

Really wanted the muslims... :(

Oh well... can I be China?

One question: what is your proposal for settings? I'm fine with most seetings but there is just one thing I don't like too much: espionage as it is overexagerated.

You want Muslims and you don't want espionage? :hmm: How are you planning to win, then? ;) I mean you are facing 4 other Humans with ICBMs... Only Pakistan has 2 Tactical Nukes and can build Nukes, just so you know...

Settings are: Marathon speed, Complete Kill, Raging Barbarians (formal setting as you never see them Raging on the map covered with culture from 35 civs), Espionage and Events are in, Vassal States are in, Random Seed, No Tech Brokering (trading your own techs is fine). Pretty much everything that makes sense is in :lol:

Espionage and counter-espionage are important realities of our modern World. AI is not good at it and I agree that Human player can sometimes abuse it with civic changes, but here he will face 4 other Humans. Plus we can always vote on some house rule preventing Religion changes, for example (it is not realistic for a spy to change official religion of the entire modern civ). This wonderful scenario has invisible no-nationality Terrorists, Spies and Special Forces. I assure you it is going to be fun with espionage.

So I am editing OP with you name for China? You sure about that? Lisbon is on the map :cooool:

Sign me up.

Really wanted the muslims... :(

Oh well... can I be China?

One question: what is your proposal for settings? I'm fine with most seetings but there is just one thing I don't like too much: espionage as it is overexagerated.

We NEED to have espionage in this game. I picked the Muslims solely for the fact that it will be fun to try a 100% espionage economy! Without that no one would want them... Espionage is only overblown if you don't know how to handle it!

I have chosen those 5 to make for a balanced game, but if instead you want Brazil we can do it as well... Remember, the country should have a National Corporation (Brazil has PetroBras) in order to be able to win Corporate victory (well, at least theoretically). Right now USA, China, Russia and Europe (UK, France, Germany and the rest of EU as German vassal) have more or less good balance. Muslim block is a little weak .. but they can declare wars on AI! Brazil has Cristo Redentor in Rio (one of the best wonders in the game) but has no nukes. We never know what styles will be adopted by the human players, but in the hands of reckless and aggressive US leaders Brazil will not stand a chance ... unless all other humans will help the rising star of our modern Planet.

So it is up to you -- I can make Europe controled by AI and Brazil by Dumanios -- but make sure that you will not complain about the lack of balance later ;)

So what is your final word -- Brazil or Europe?

Tigranes said:
Espionage and counter-espionage are important realities of our modern World.
I agree with that. It doesn't mean that I agree with how espionage is set up in the latest version of BtS.

I don't mind the active spying. You have to pay to use those so you make choices and you pay espionge points. What I really dislike is the passive spying, because without paying anything or doing anything you get to see (after a while) everything!!! So it reduces the potential suprise effect.

But ok, let's do it. Yes, maybe I am not good enough with spying... time to learn... the hard way! :dubious:

Tigranes said:
So I am editing OP with you name for China?
Ok, I guess... but does OP stand for?

Not having EU in human hands... won't that change the balance of the game?

Are you still looking for players? I am relatively new to this. Nighthawk's Earth 18 game is my first PBEM, but I find that I am enjoying it. I am available pretty much all the time, so I can take turns pretty much whenever. I'll have to download this mod but that wont be a problem.

If still recruiting, I'll take the USA, Russia, EU in order of preference.

I'll take Brazil. Will I be aloud to DoW against AIs too?

Yes, sure. But one non-nuclear country can be too little for you. Technically it is possible to place the following countries under your leadership: Mexico, Canada, Japan (has National Corporation, Toyota), Argentina. So just let me know if you need any other country than Brazil :yumyum:

By the way, in my test games Argentina vassalize peacefully to Brazil on the turn 1, just an info ;)

Ok, I guess... but does OP stand for?

Not having EU in human hands... won't that change the balance of the game?

Passive spying is kind of "CIA factbook" -- represents the (semi-)visible side in Intelligence Agency's functioning. Spies on the ground represent special operations and secret agents.

OP -- Opening Post :)

Without human player Europe will be controlled with 4 different AIs. This might emphasize disunity of Europe a little too much and give Russia and US certain advantages. But with the house rule about not declaring on AI we should be safe...

I mean I don't mind to have 6 human players, but I am afraid the game will get too slow and disorganized :dunno:.

Are you still looking for players? I am relatively new to this. Nighthawk's Earth 18 game is my first PBEM, but I find that I am enjoying it. I am available pretty much all the time, so I can take turns pretty much whenever. I'll have to download this mod but that wont be a problem.

If still recruiting, I'll take the USA, Russia, EU in order of preference.

I can trade America with you and take over Russia, no problem! I wanted US because it is the first civ and I am hosting the game... But I can send you the American save without touching anything or setting a password -- you just need go to Your details and type in the desired password.

@All: Looks like we are all set! OP is edited accordingly. I just need majority vote on the issue of 5 OR 6 human players. 5 players means Europe will not be a major united player in modern World, which is a little disappointing for me. 6 players means long waits and difficulties in organisation...

I hate to seem like an idiot, but I am having a little trouble with the mod. When I try to load it, I get a steam error saying "the application is already running" or some such. Any one know how to overcome that?

My vote is for 6 humans... the difference from 5-6 isn't really all that much when it comes to moving the turn along. I can send a quick email to another player I know who might be interested. Also I am a fan of "the more the merrier"... I mean I am the guy currently running an 18 human PBEM game! lol Also, having a consolidated EU player will definitely help the balance.

I fully expect to get crushed in this game... I don't know HOW I can possible take the terrorist countries with generally bad land and somehow win... but it will be fun to try going nuts with spies and terrorists!

tdy99 emailed me that he likes 6 player idea as well. I would agree. That means we have 3 votes out of 5. Well, lets find one more player then. I have private messaged like 10 different guys I know, we will start the moment we find a leader for the united Europe!

@Nighthawk -- the reality can be much different. Not every Muslim country starts with "State sponsored Terrorism" tech. Saudi Arabia would have to finance rushing units in the countries like Libya and Pakistan, while researching that tech. It all depends how the big guys will behave ;). Personal diplomacy is very important factor in the games like this.

@ALL -- We almost ready to go. I am about to send the game to tdy99 (Player 1) -- by the time we play US, China and Russia -- somebody will come to lead Europe. I will always try to keep Opening Post updated about the general information. Just wanted to share with you the international trade routes of New Orleans (home to Walmart, since New Orleans is the closest city to represent Bentonville, Arkansas). Feels like West Southerners only like to do business with "-burg" cities --- I can't think of any other city which is ending on "-burg" and is not on this screen shot. BTS engine does silly things sometimes :love:

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0071.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0071.JPG
    139.7 KB · Views: 832
I would like the U.K. Slot please
-5GMT
Eclipse4449 at gmail dot com

Great! We all set then!

...It is not just a UK. You will control 3 Human civs -- UK, France, Germany. AI EU is Germany's vassal.

Top Bottom