1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Earth Fantasy Mod(EFM)

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Modpacks' started by unartis, Apr 13, 2020.

1. tjs282

tjs282 Socially distancing since 1975

As I understand it, the phantom-resource error only occurs if a .biq contains more than 32 Strat + Lux resources.

(This, BTW, is why I suggested using combinations of Strat/Lux resources for your buildings/Wonders, rather than a unique resource-type for each: 32 resources gives you (32^2 / 2) – 32 = 480 possible pairings, which easily covers all 256 available building-slots!)

Conversely, you can include as many (food-/ shield-/ commerce-) Bonus resources as you choose to — so in this case, RAR would presumably have a minimum of 20 Bonus resources, giving 52 resources (Strat + Lux + Bonus) in total.

Although AFAIK, if playing with a .biq which includes lots of different (Bonus) resource-types, on a randomly-generated map, there won't be many of each type of resource on the map, because the game engine is limited as to how many tiles it's 'allowed' to place resources on (relative to the number of Civs on the map at game start?).

On a prebuilt map (I assume) that's not an issue: the mapmaker (you) could theoretically put a resource on every tile if they (you) want to. Just... make sure you haven't set "appearance ratios" for any preplaced resources, because if you do, the game appears to remove "excess" resources at random — as @Nathiri and I (re)discovered when I playtested his mod, Thelen Epres Mrel Nelthelrinae (see this thread, and this post, specifically).

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    unartis likes this.
  2. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

unartis, yes it seems all download links for RAR (even a 'hidden one' for RAR 1.04) at CFC are not working any longer.

So you have to download the mod RARR (Rise And Rule Revisited) and the inofficial C3C expansion CCM2.50 for having a massively updated version of RAR (and of course of CCM2, too). You can find RARR here: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/rise-and-rule-revisited-epic-mod.549166/
    In the RARR thread there is the link for the needed CCM2.50 download, too.

unartis likes this.
  3. Civinator

The number of all kind of different resources (strat./lux./bonus) in C3C is limited to 256.

tjs282 likes this.
  4. Tigris of Gaul

Tigris of Gaul Warlord

Can workers irrigate? I haven't seen the advance "Good Things" which is a prerequisite for Fresh Water.

5. tjs282

IIRC, it's one of the (Era-None) starting techs, for the 'good' species. But to be able to Irrigate, you also have to hook a Freshwater source to your trade-net.

6. unartis

unartis Prince

@Tigris of Gaul
    The good things are only seen by a predetermined group, which group knows it(elves, dwarves, good humans), it sees fresh water on the map from the beginning of the game.

Irrigation should be developed if it is available afterwards can be irrigated.
    In that city you can irrigate which is connected to fresh water

7. unartis

unartis Prince

Can't I pick up more than 256 resources then?

I am now working on the problem to come up with the best possible solution while conserving resources.
    This is how resources are now (32 rows in 3 columns) I want to change this, I will post some options soon.
    Res_old.jpg
    I have 95 resources now that I will raise to 96 or 128 to have 32 multiples
    (If I understood correctly, it also matters that there must be a multiple of 32 in the number of resources.)

I was thinking of a solution that would bring together strategic resources that would have no problem if it appeared before it as a phantom resource.
    example: stone, marble and copper
    or hardwood, clay and charcoal

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  8. Civinator

unartis, as posted, the easiest solution is to set the strategic resources to the slots 0-31 (the editor starts to count with zero) and than to add up to 224 bonus resources. The older posts about the phantom resources bug (including my own) were written without the knowledge, that the total of resources in the editor is limited to 256.

9. unartis

unartis Prince

I understood that the phantom resource error will not occur until I exceed the 32 strategic and luxury resource quantity limits.
    In my mode, I went far beyond that. I feel that if I took back so many strategic and luxury resources, the basic idea would lose its essence. :(

I’m concerned with the solution to how I know how to find a well-functioning manageable solution while retaining more resources. I find no one has worked on this so far.

10. tjs282

Civ3 is a nearly-20-year old game, and as such it has various hardcoded limitations, which modders must work within, if they want their mods to function properly.
    But this is exactly what we've been talking about.

You have a lot of essentially overlapping/duplicated Strat/Lux resources here, that must be reduced to Strat + Lux = 32 in total, if you want to fix this problem — of tribes being able to build Wonders that they do not/ should not have the resources for. Bearing in mind that the (Firaxis) city-screen display is designed to show a maximum of 8 Luxes in total*, that leaves 24 available Strat-res slots. If you need more than 24 Strat-res, you will need to cut the total number of Luxes accordingly (but if you do that, you might want to ensure that at least one building per tribe has the Lux-happiness boosting flag).

*Although it is possible for a Civ to have access to more than 8 Luxes in total, the city-view screen — and the script.txt file — would also need to be adjusted to cleanly display them, up to 2 additional Luxes. And even then, the Lux-happiness multiplier won't go any higher than 4 Happyfaces per additional 9th or 10th Lux

So you will need to bite the bullet, and consolidate your Strat+Lux resources wherever possible to cut down on the redundancy. There is no other "manageable solution".

You need to go through that posted list, and for each of those resources, ask yourself honestly if it is truly necessary to the functioning of the mod, i.e. used by multiple different tribes/ required for multiple different buildings — or if it could be replaced by another, more widely-used resource (either alone, or in combination with a second resource) — or if multiple, similar resource-types could be combined into one. (Since unit-types can be individually restricted to specific tribes, unit resource-requirements are of less concern). With some care and attention, it should be possible to cut the excess down quite substantially, and yet still retain the distinctions between all the tribes, and hence EFM's essence.

Specific examples that occurred to me, looking through that list:

Why does EFM need a Dragon Cave, Dragon Scales, and Dragon Tooth resource? A single "Dragon [Cave]" resource-type could perhaps cover all of these, with specific buildings distinguished by requiring a second resource (or even a third, for units) such as "Bones" (which, BTW, could possibly also cover for the "Freshly Buried Tomb"), "[Phoenix] Feathers" or "Nest".

(Yes, you should probably consider consolidating those 7 different Nests + Huts into 2 generic resources, as well)

Similarly, Elephants and Mammoths could be reduced to "Elephants", Unicorn Hair and Unicorn Horn could be "Unicorns", Orcish Bullock, Mountain Buffalo and Cattle could be "Cattle", Mountain Goat and Chaos Goat could be "Goats", Marble and Stone could be a single "Stone" resource, and you could probably cut down to just one "Wheat" resource as well. That would be 6 Strat-resources instead of 13.

And all the precious stones (do you really need 10 of these?!) could be collapsed to "Jewels", "Gems" and/or "Crystals" — if 3 such generic resources were then paired with only the 4 "Mana" resources and "Blood", you would still have a minimum of 15 different "gem + mana" pairs (i.e. 15 buildings) — from only 8 resources, instead of 15 resources. Similarly, "Gold" and "Silver" could become "Precious metals" (though you would probably still need to keep the Iron, Copper and Mithril separate)

"Griffin" units (or buildings) could require 2 more generically-named resources, "Raptor" (renamed from "Eagle Nest") + "Lion" (as opposed to including a "Jaguar", "Panther" and "Sabretooth" [Bonus] resources). Likewise, "Phoenix" units could require "Fire Mana" + "Raptor"; while "Raptor" + "Nest" [generic] = Eagle and/or Raven units — depending on which of those units is available to any given tribe.

If you need a generic building or Wonder to require >2 resources in total (e.g. to make it exclusive to certain races, or good vs. evil factions), you could also use prerequisite (generic) buildings that themselves have tech-/resource-requirements which restrict them to only the eligible races. That way, even if a Wonder-resource needed to be so widely available that it could not be restricted to a single species- or culture-group, any given race would still only be able to build their 'building-permitted' Wonders.

Although less relevant to the Strat/Lux-resource problem, I also don't really understand why you've made a distinction between the "Deer" and "Reindeer" Bonus-resources: why not just "Deer" (but occurring in both Forest + Tundra)? (And out here in the real world, a "panther" is simply a black variant of a "jaguar" (or a leopard), so it makes little sense (to me) to include both of those, either)
    If I have understood correctly, this is neither true nor relevant.

Until you've fixed the underlying problem of excess Strat + Lux resources, the order in which the resources are listed in the .biq, is very much a secondary problem.

11. Tigris of Gaul

Tigris of Gaul Warlord

@unartis Really enjoying your mod and thank you for sharing it with us.

unartis likes this.
  12. Tigris of Gaul

Tigris of Gaul Warlord

I found a missing entry: "Scenarios\Earth fantasy\text\PediaIcons.txt"
    WON_SPLASH_BLDG_The_Source_of_Life

13. unartis

unartis Prince

Hi @tjs282
    I think i found the solution to the error and it was right there in front of my eyes, i just slipped over it :lol:

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/keeping-resources-in-check-no-phantom-resources.391951/page-3

The point would be that each species could build a 1 round upgrade at the beginning of the game that would allow air trading. If you have it, you could use those resources.

This would be similar to the condition of making magic books in the parchment workshop.
    Guild of Merchants (Good Things), Guild of Smugglers (Dark Things)
    Aan animal taming hut would be needed to build the residence of the beasts(Wolf Pit, Wild Boar Sty and Dragon Cave, etc.)
    A dwarf goldsmith master is required to build the dwarf rings wonders in the city.
    the existence of dark magicians and good wizards would be a condition for building magic orbs.
    and I could go on and on...
    The palace may also have to be set up as a building to support air commerce.
    So I don't have to touch on the amount of strategic resource that is fattened because the phantom bug becomes manageable.

14. unartis

unartis Prince

I'll check and then fix it ;)

15. unartis

unartis Prince

New _Earth_Fantasy_Mod_Beta1.34_pach available.
    patch information:
    Paddle barel icon image bug fixed
    WON_SPLASH_BLDG_The_Source_of_Life splash bug fixed

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  16. WildWeazel

WildWeazel Yeah, well... Supporter

I'm glad someone found that loophole useful, because I never did finish that mod.

17. Tigris of Gaul

Tigris of Gaul Warlord

Missing entry in PediaIcons.txt TECH_Advanced_Flight_LARGE

18. unartis

unartis Prince

Inserting the elements is going pretty well, I will upload the expanded new patch for testing soon.

19. unartis

unartis Prince

I fixed it, here is PediaIcons.txt

Attached Files:

20. unartis

unartis Prince

:goodjob:All Dear inquirers,

I created the fix pack that fixes the phantom resource bug.
    Some innovations have also been included in the mode, which will hopefully make the mode better.
    There have been quite a few changes to the mode, but there may be a bug in it, but the phantom bug is gone.

I chose the option of air commerce as a possible alternative. i think it works perfectly.
    Trade is made possible by 3 types of development (outside the palace).
    The marketplace, the wandering magic trade and the medieval wagon.

EFM_135_01.jpg EFM_135_02.jpg
    :mischief:I redesigned the city air trade icon, trade icon became a sign of a medieval wagon, which can be seen in the lower right corner of the city:
    EFM_135_02_medievalwagon_icon_trade.jpg