1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Earth Map (180x87)

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Pre-made Maps' started by aeric67, Nov 20, 2005.

1. aeric67

aeric67 Chieftain

MAP RELEASE

*** Updated to 1.1 (Please see changelog below)

earth_mini.jpg

Download here:
    View attachment Earth_aeric67_180x87_1.0.zip
    View attachment Earth_aeric67_180x87_1.1.zip <-- CURRENT

Description

I've finally finished my own version of a Real Earth map. This map has been built completely from scratch using satellite photography, topographical maps, real world resource locations, and real native population groups as barbarian tribes.

The size of this map is 180x87, so it will strain your computer. I have 2GB of RAM and could play through mid- and end-game reasonably well. Rigs with less RAM may not be so manageable. You have been warned!

Many of you wonder why not make more small maps. I thought about it and actually started to make a small map of Earth (or a deformed version of Earth enlarging historic areas), but it just didn't "do it" for me. You will find this map to be to scale (including oceans). You may want to mod ocean-faring vessel speeds to compensate.

I used several online resources, including Wikipedia among others, to make sure game resource placement and native population groups are correct. Keep in mind, however, that this does take a back seat to playability and balance. So don't be disappointed if your favorite barbarian group is not as you expect (or is missing) or if resources are missing or added where you may not expect them. Earth maps are usually fairly unbalanced. This one makes an attempt to balance.

Also tweaked in this map are relationships between AI players (and toward the human player). This again is done for balance and realism. You can inspect the WBS if you want to know what is what, or leave it for a surprise when you play! Most should be as you would expect, but I didn't go overboard.

Civilization Starting Areas and Descriptions:

American:
    The destiny-driven Americans have settled on the Atlantic coast of a wild, but rich continent. Don't expect the huge North American continent all to yourself, however. You will have to contend with heathen Aztecs in the south and hostile indigenous peoples across the plains. Expect friendly relations with England and tensions from Japan and Russia.

Arabia:
    The Arabs have settled between the Persian Gulf and the Red Sea locked in a hot gulf of sand and sun. Plentiful oases dot the landscape and provide a perfect environment for these rugged desert dwellers. Expect tensions with Mali and neutrality with most other neighbors.

Aztec:
    The Aztecs start deep in the tropical heart of classic Mesoamerica. The Inca to the south and the Americans to the north threaten to stifle your growth if you let them. Expect friendly relations with the Incans and tensions from Spain and America.

China:
    The Chinese settlers start in some of the most fertile lands in the world. The widely varied terrain of the Eastern Asian landscape may be seen as unlimited. However, stay alert for hostile nations to the south like the Khmer and your always hostile Mongol neighbors to the north. Expect friendly relations from the Indians and tensions from Japan and Mongolia.

Egypt:
    The Nile River Valley provides an ancient cradle of life most would envy. The Egyptians have many possibilities from this strategic starting position. Expect friendly relations from Rome and tensions from Arabia.

England:
    Situated on the temperate British Isles, England has the luxury of early-game isolation from land invaders. However, only an expansionist mindset will allow you to survive the later epochs. The English can expect friendly relations from the Americans and tensions from India and Germany.

France:
    Napoleon and his French Empire find themselves in a crowded European setting. With Germany to the east and friendly Spain to the west, the only option is the Roman threat to the south, but don't forget about your old rivals -- the English -- to the north. May Napoleon's cunning prevail! Expect friendly relations from Spain and tensions from England and Rome.

Germany:
    The ancient Germanic tribes settle down in the area of modern-day Berlin. There are among two choices from this position: Squeeze past Mother Russia to the East to settle Asia Minor or triumph directly against Rome to the south. There's also always France to the west! Expect friendly relations from Greece and Japan and tensions from England and Rome.

Greece:
    Alexander sits ready to command the armies of Greece and Macedon! Do not hesitate and be content with the Aegean sea, but lay claim to your lands before the tyrant Cyrus gets there before you! Expect friendly relations from no one and tensions from Persia.

Inca:
    High in the legendary highlands of the Andes Mountains, Huayna Capac commands the beginnings of the Incan Empire. Expanding into South America isn't as easy as it might seem. Your isolation is sealed by the great Amazon Rainforest stretching below the clouds to the east. May the brave Inca survive and expand! Expect friendly relations from the Aztecs to the north and tensions from Spain.

India:
    Nestled in the Ganges river valley, the beginnings of the Indian Empire get a great start indeed. Mind the wall of mountains to the north and the hostile tribes to the southeast, then all you have to worry about is landgrab contention from Persia to the west! Expect friendly relations from China and tensions from Greece.

Japan:
    The mythical Japanese start at the far east of Asia on a long, fertile island. The limited space on that island will prompt you to make your move for the mainland quickly. Oceania is also yours to claim if you are brave enough. Expect friendly relations from Germany and Mongolia and tensions from China.

Mali:
    The largely unexplored African continent is home to the Malinese. South of the looming presence of the massive Sahara, Mali must forge their existance in the savannahs and jungles of West Africa. Riches are to be had in the south, but don't mistake your isolation as safety. Expect friendly relations from France and tensions from Inca and Egypt.

Mongolia:
    The terrifying horselords of Central Asia are yours to command. The cool steppes of Mongolia are vast and wide, but do not feel too secure in your intimidation of the lesser civs. Even a powerful king can get lost in Asia, if he does not get spread too thin first. Expect friendly relations from Persia and tensions from no one. The arrogant nations of the Orient will have no idea what hit them.

Persia:
    The budding Persian empire has a great land of opportunity before them in the heart of Asia. Babylonia sits ripe to the west, nestled in the Fertile Crescent, while Bactria and the wealths in the Indian subcontinent await you. Opportunism will be your success! Expect friendly relations from Arabia and tensions from Greece.

Rome:
    The seat of Rome is not for the meek. A crowded Europe sits to the north; one that should fall under the might of your Praetorian. the barbaric citystate of Carthage sits across the seas to the south, with the continent of Africa behind it. The might of Rome must spread -- it is inevitable. Expect friendly relations from Egypt and tensions from France.

Russia:
    On the fringe of Europe sits the newly settled Russia. To the east, expansion opportunities await, but those are not vacant lands. What the stifling chill of Siberia won't stop, the Huns and Bulgars will. Be wary and carry the might of The Motherland with you at all times. Expect friendly relations from China and tensions from America and Mongolia.

Spain:
    From the heart of Iberia comes the first royal line of the new Spanish Empire. Locked in the western fringe of crowded Europe, expansion is either through use of the sword or use of a ship. The unknown world calls for Spanish colonial power, so show it to them! Expect friendly relations from Russia and tensions from Rome.

Other Stuff

I've only done some minor testing with this. I've played most of the civs to at least past Classical Age to make sure there weren't any glaring balance problems. Please let me know if you find any!

Also, I've scoured the map for any bad resource placements (things on peaks, etc) and think that I've nailed them all. Let me know if you find stuff like that.

Changelog

Version 1.0
    • Initial Release

Version 1.1 (Current Version)
    Fixes:
    • Japanese starting on a peak was fixed
    • Babylonia strengthened to prevent early assimilation
    • Added missing starting techs for all civs
    Changes:
    • Moved starting locations of European civs slightly, allowing more space between those civs (also putting them on coasts)
    • Arabian starting area strengthened and shifted slightly
    • Japanese starting area strengthened
    • Added island of Cyprus
    • Added wheat to Nile Valley, removed some oases from the flood plains there
    • Extended Euphrates River farther into Asia Minor (Turkey)
    • Added many more tributaries to the Amazon River
    • Added more tributaries to the Congo River
    • Added more pig resource to rainforests
    • Added deer to Africa (to simulate antelope, etc.)
    • Added copper to Europe
    • Minor resource adjustments all over (including some reductions in places)
    • Adjusted polar ice levels and permafrost level in Siberia
    • Adjusted land structure in northern Canada to be more accurate
    • Babylonia renamed to Babylon
    • Added San Joaquin river to California

Future Plans

Might move civs around and rename and relocate them for better balance and less crowding. Even on a map this big, Europe is still crowded. While this is balanced by less barbarian activity and more concentrated resources, it is still a hassle if you like those civs. The only option is probably to remove some of them and use more generic names to describe them (use Celts to replace France and England for instance since the Gauls were really just Celts).

I'd love to hear any suggestions or future improvements. Also let me know of bugs and I will update.

2. Kudos

Kudos Warlord

Looks fantastic. Downloading now. :king:

edit: But why is only 1 leader per civ availible?

3. aeric67

aeric67 Chieftain

No reason other than it didn't work too well with NONE set as the leader in the WBS file. So basically, lack of knowledge on my part. If anyone knows how to allow all leaders in a set-location map like this, let me know :)

edit: heading to bed, will check this thread tomorrow.

4. Kudos

Kudos Warlord

I played one game as the Americans and was basically slaughtered by barbarians. They have a pretty difficult starting position.

I restarted as France and am certainly having a better game. I have more then double the closest competitor and eliminated Spain, Rome and almost Germany in about 15 turns.

Perhaps you should consider enlarging Europe a bit. France, Rome, England and Germany are at a loss since there is literally no room for further cities.

As Spain (or with the now French city of Madrid) you can advance into North Africa but England, Rome and France don't have as easy a time.

5. Gr3yHound

Gr3yHound Mr.MapView

good job

and it crashes MapView so it&#180;s very valuable for me outside civ aswell.

edit: omg, 82000 lines ;)

6. Karam

Karam Chieftain

Definately an interesting, accurate map. Well done for it, it reminded me of the well know 'El-Mencey's' earth map. I will not however be able to play with it the fact that my laptop is an AMD Athlon 512 MB ddr ram.
    Good job for it!

7. Flash1

Flash1 Prince

Thank you aeric67,
    Your map crashes in worldview. Which is a good thing. It means I can't run my 256 x 128 map, at least until patch time. I do have 768 Mb DDR RAM and 2GB Virtual and it still crashed. Thanks for the test.

8. aeric67

aeric67 Chieftain

Thanks for the initial feedback. I was just playing the Egyptians and noticed that European nations were once again having a rough time expanding. The AI always seems to have a hard time when it can't go by land. I will try to think of good ways to balance that out. Might start the Spanish and English with Sailing (if not already).

Also noticed that the Japanese settler starts on a peak (oops). It's not a problem since you can easily move off a peak, but it takes away that precious first turn, so it will be fixed in the next version.

I want to preserve the scale of Europe as it is. There are other maps with enlarged European areas or otherwise exaggerated land areas. I want this one to stay physically accurate and balance it in other ways. Although I may consolidate some of the European nations as a fix too (as mentioned in the Future Plans section) then add the difference as nations elsewhere on Earth.

edit: Thanks for trying it guys. Keep the ideas coming! :)

9. aeric67

aeric67 Chieftain

I looked into the difficulty of the American's starting position and decided to leave as is for now (until more testing can be done). I want to be careful to not allow unfettered expansion across that very rich continent. What you experienced, Kudos, is pretty much as intended. I played America as my first test (all on Noble) and found I was able to push west, but not without leaving all my cities well defended and always being on the offensive against those barbs (which simulated early America's actual challenge). America in this map is not meant as a "Simcity" position (as is normal for maps like this).

As for Europe. In the hands of a human player, it is meant to be conquered without extreme difficulty early. Rome did it in real history, and Germania, Hispania, and Gaul could have had it just as easily if in the right hands (and in fact they did all have their turn eventually). The problem is when a human isn't involved in Europe, then the nations all stagnate in peace. Thus one of the reason for the AI hate modifiers. My latest test game as Egypt (still using 1.0) showed quite a bit better fighting going on in Europe than in prereleased versions. In fact, France (which you seemed to experience as overpowered) ended up getting pounded and was extinct before 1700AD.

Anyway, keep playing it if you are having fun and let me know your experiences :)

10. Flash1

Flash1 Prince

Okay, I increased virtual memory. But still the editor crashes if I leave the initial map area of my civ.
    I can play the map, not sure how long though. What are Rome's starting techs? Editor doesn't stay open long enough to find out.

11. Gr3yHound

Gr3yHound Mr.MapView

;) i m so happy this map came, MapView now works for it and for all the files with that little issue that caused the problem.

now i´ll go and play some on your map.

12. tbear2520

tbear2520 Warlord

Holy crap, good job... I was looking into this and even started it but been to busy. You did a really good job on this. Dam memory leak. I can't by that its my system, it has to be Civ4. Half-Life2 in the highest quality and video settings doesn't even flicker on my system. I can't imagine this being more memory intesive than half-life2.

TBear2520

13. Gr3yHound

Gr3yHound Mr.MapView

jupp, lets hope the soon-to-come patch will make a decent difference about memory usage. took me ages to load the map. but a needed a potty break anyway ;)

14. aeric67

aeric67 Chieftain

All civ starting techs are the defaults right now in version 1.0.

15. Flash1

Flash1 Prince

The reason I asked was Rome did not have fishing or mining.

16. aeric67

aeric67 Chieftain

There are no modifiers to team techs in the WBS. You may have a mod active that is doing this. I'll double check on my end, though.

Version 1.1 should be out early this week, which will hopefully address European crowding a bit and some other fixes and balancing.

Edit: Doesn't look like anyone has starting techs that they should. I'll fix that in version 1.1. Sorry about that!

17. Flash1

Flash1 Prince

Aeric,
    I got the game working, and I'm the Romans. I have something like 7 cities. It is 680 BC.

This map is awesome. I'm building my military now.

18. Kudos

Kudos Warlord

That's decent rationale for Europe and I actually considered the same thing for America after posting that. Of course my reason for playing as America was the idea of unchallenged expansion (I even rushed a setller down to Mexico to block Aztec or Incan entry), so when my plan was crushed by barbarian hordes I was rather disappointed ;).

19. aeric67

aeric67 Chieftain

I think I may be releasing 1.1 tonight. I've spread out the European starting points a bit. Germany is not quite where Berlin is now, but is still within the historic "Germania" realm. France, Spain, and Germany are all starting next to coasts now. That was a bit of a mess up for nations whose only choice at the beginning is expansion through conquest or by sea. Anyway, all three of those civs should now be able to build two cities pretty easily before having to fight or sail (but not without a bit of contention -- after all, it is Europe!). Strategic resources will cause inevitable conflicts as well :D

Also in 1.1, I tweaked the Nile River Valley to balance it some more, strengthened Japan's starting point a bit, added more tributaries to the Amazon River, lengthened the Euphrates into Asia Minor (to make it more habitable), tweaked the tundra and snow levels in Siberia, strenghthened Babylon so it doesn't basically give a free city to the civ who gets a warrior there first, and a few other tweaks and stuff to resolve things I've noticed as I play tested it.

Also will be fixed are starting techs, which I'm amazed I didn't notice before!

Let me know if there is anything else. I'm glad you guys like the map!

20. kapitan

kapitan Chieftain

thanx a lot! this is really great! i was looking for a map like this daily (i really aint to good with computers, so i lack the skill to do this myself), so i was very happy to see someone did it, and VERY delighted to see it was done so exceptionally well!
    i play germany with noble difficulty (first try i was cautious), its around 1750 and i´m in industrial age. my infantry units control all of europe up to slightly beyond the ural, parts of the middle east, south africa and australia. compared to other games with the same difficulty i seem to do better, so either i had a real good day, or i should play this map with higher difficulty than i normally do. the only serious competitor seems to be america. while they do not yet control their whole continent (handful of barb-cities left) they are VERY populous, and rank second to me (slightly less than half my points). all the other nations will be no challange, i guess.
    i am just telling you this, in case you are still thinking about balancing this. my impression is, that the ai-civs have much more problems handling the barb-cities than a human player does - and there are a lot of those. (actually, conquering the barb-cities as a means of expansion gave me an enormous edge in the early centuries. i pretty much contained russia so i could deal with western europe before turning east...) is there a possibility to give the ai-civs (only them) an edge over the barbs?
    i also thought about the recources. is it correct, that europe has no copper at all? (after all, there was an european bronce age) i wasn't even able to trade for it until fairly late in the game (~1600) also there seems to be no norwegian oil fields.
    and when thinking about recources: i really loved the effect in some civ3 maps, when you had to worry obout getting strategic recources like rubber later in the game, either trading for it ore mounting very expensive conquest-expeditions around the globe ...
    i hope, my "mid-action-repurt" helps and is of interest to you.
    the most important thing i had to say, though, ist: great job, wonderful map! thank you!
    reminded me of gagarin:"i can see the earth. it is so beautyful" ;-)