1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Earth Map (180x87)

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Pre-made Maps' started by aeric67, Nov 20, 2005.

1. kapitan

kapitan Chieftain

thanx a lot! this is really great! i was looking for a map like this daily (i really aint to good with computers, so i lack the skill to do this myself), so i was very happy to see someone did it, and VERY delighted to see it was done so exceptionally well!
    i play germany with noble difficulty (first try i was cautious), its around 1750 and i´m in industrial age. my infantry units control all of europe up to slightly beyond the ural, parts of the middle east, south africa and australia. compared to other games with the same difficulty i seem to do better, so either i had a real good day, or i should play this map with higher difficulty than i normally do. the only serious competitor seems to be america. while they do not yet control their whole continent (handful of barb-cities left) they are VERY populous, and rank second to me (slightly less than half my points). all the other nations will be no challange, i guess.
    i am just telling you this, in case you are still thinking about balancing this. my impression is, that the ai-civs have much more problems handling the barb-cities than a human player does - and there are a lot of those. (actually, conquering the barb-cities as a means of expansion gave me an enormous edge in the early centuries. i pretty much contained russia so i could deal with western europe before turning east...) is there a possibility to give the ai-civs (only them) an edge over the barbs?
    i also thought about the recources. is it correct, that europe has no copper at all? (after all, there was an european bronce age) i wasn't even able to trade for it until fairly late in the game (~1600) also there seems to be no norwegian oil fields.
    and when thinking about recources: i really loved the effect in some civ3 maps, when you had to worry obout getting strategic recources like rubber later in the game, either trading for it ore mounting very expensive conquest-expeditions around the globe ...
    i hope, my "mid-action-repurt" helps and is of interest to you.
    the most important thing i had to say, though, ist: great job, wonderful map! thank you!
    reminded me of gagarin:"i can see the earth. it is so beautyful" ;-)

2. aeric67

aeric67 Chieftain

Map updated to version 1.1! See first post.

Also keep that feedback coming and thanks for all the remarks :)

3. panza105

panza105 Chieftain

:goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :king:
    Great Job !!!

4. guspav

guspav Chieftain

great job! I really love this map though AI turns are VEEEEERY long and I do have some suggestions (I played with the aztecs until modern age in map version 1.0):

- in the real world there were no horses in north or south america, they were all brought from europe. (there were not any cows either, but there were buffalos so I guess cattle is alright)
    - copper and iron are waaay too scarce from central to north america, whereas silver and gold are a lot more common (isn't it the other way around?)
    - from the us west coast to panama there isn't a single drop of oil anywhere, not even on the sea, that's very inaccurate (I myself am a mexican and my country's primary export is oil.. so there..)

I'm not sure if it was made on purpose, but it seems all resources are very scarce (excluding corn).. did you intend to do a civ3- style gameplay?

ok, that's all for now

all in all great job! keep up the good work :goodjob:

5. Kudos

Kudos Warlord

Here's an update on my game on the 1.0 map.

As the French I have conquered all of Europe and Northern and Western Africa. I will probably end up with a domination victory, unless my time runs out.

But most importantly; it runs fantastic. Better then a huge, 18 Civ, map (and there are still 15 civs left in my game, since Greece and Germany both escaped with little nothing cities in Kazahkstan and the Sahara). I am close to the modern age (I just got Tanks) playing on noble. My specs are: 3ghz P4 HT, 1gig ram and 6600GT with 77.77 drivers.

When I'm done with this game I'll give the new version a try. The great part about world maps is the experience is completely different for different civs, which can't often be said for random ones.

edit: One thing I'd like to see in 1.02 is all leaders available, if possible.

Edit2: Naturally, the game runs beautifully yesterday but now that I've talked about it it takes 10 minutes to load the game and, when it does, is unplayable. :mad: :mad:

6. aeric67

aeric67 Chieftain

Thanks for the feedback!

For the resources, I asked myself these questions before placing:

a) How plentiful it is in the area?
    b) How easily is it extracted?
    c) Does it mess with game balance being there?

Typically, if the answer to (a) is "a lot" and (b) is "very easily", then I will place the resource (sometimes more than one). If the answer to (c) is "yes", then I may not place the resource, I might place only one, or I might shift it to a place that would be threatened by an enemy more easily.

So for horses, cows, oil, silver, whatever. I only used real world locations as guides. I tried to think to myself, "Could this deposit of copper support several armies of spearmen?" If not, then I probably didn't place it.

Cows could definitely simulate the buffalo, but also the fact that cows today on the Great Plains are self sufficient and thrive there without outside help. So I guess the same might happen in this game once those areas are settled.

Horses I almost didn't place in North America. But then I started reading about the large populations of feral and wild Mustangs there today and just had to place them. Plus there's a lot of popular culture of American cowboys and Indians fighting it out on horses. There may not be a lot of contact with Europe until horses become obsolete (or close) so I thought adding horses would be a good idea for game purposes.

Same goes with oil. I picked the bigger producers of oil from my own research with game balance in mind. I almost think the map has too much oil though. :lol:

Not to say that some things don't need tweaking, but thats my reason for the way they are now. As long as you are having fun, that's all that matters to me! From your comments, though, I will go through and make sure stuff is fair... I'll take another look :) At this point though, I'd probably only change things if they are glaringly bad (like no copper in Europe, which was fixed in 1.1). I hate to give you a reason NOT to download patches because they nerf or change things a lot ;)

One thing I'd like to get just right, though, is terrain features. That's why 1.1 had so many terrain fixes in it. So please keep your eye on them as you play. Let me know if some areas (particularly the area you live or have been to) are way off so I can fix. I used a lot of satellite imagery to place mountains, forests, and such, but it doesn't substitute actually going there and seeing for yourself!

7. aeric67

aeric67 Chieftain

Oh almost forgot. Kudos, I am glad you like the map. However, I don't have any idea how to add multiple leader choices to a fixed starting location map like this one.

I will eventually look into the Python side of things and maybe make a map generation script (like the ones that came with the game), except one that always generates Earth as it is in this map, but then allows multiple leader choices.

Also if I do that I might be able to randomize resource placement as well (and goody huts). So that certain areas have resource, but the exact placement and quantity is different each game. If anyone knows how to do this, I'd love your help!

8. spider_hip

spider_hip Chieftain

Can I play it with hot seat mod..?

9. sickre

sickre Warlord

I get a crash to desktop every time I try and load - 1gb ram as well :(

10. Flash1

Flash1 Prince

weird, i have 768 MB DDR sdram and I can run the map.

11. mayonaise

mayonaise Chieftain

Just wanted to thank the creator of this map. It is by FAR the best Earth map I have played.

My current game I am playing English, and I am using the slow tech + other balances mod. The two together have made a game that ended up being almost perfect. The inclusion of the barbarian tribes was absolutely brilliant. It stunts the growth of certain civilizations and adds tons of flavor. There was nothing cooler than sacking trondhiem and the resulting war with russia over the valuable iron there. After I had secured that, I remained aloof from the various European wars that broke out. While my civ was small, it was very advanced and so I was keeping up tech-wise.

Later on, I decided to check the new world out, and to my suprise and excitment there was America spread out with several large cities.. protected by ARCHERS. At this time I had musketmen, it was ~1550 a.d. I can't tell you how fun it was loading up 4 galleons with musketmen and capturing the new world from americans and historically named indian tribes too! Halfway through my conquest of the New World, I got redcoats, an upgrade I really needed because the more western barbarians were bringin it on strong with horse archers... and alas, my game crashed.

Just wanted to say it was definitely the best and most enjoyable map I have played to date, thanks for your hard work! One thing I would change is slightly more copper/iron in Europe. I believe germany was the only nation able to build anything but archers until 1500's!

12. aeric67

aeric67 Chieftain

Wow thanks for the feedback. I think you may be right and I will have to surrender to the iron/copper demand. I will evaluate it again for the next version of this map. Until then, keep having fun :)

13. canucksrule19

canucksrule19 Chieftain

can you made a Canada MOD compatible version containing Canada? the entire north is uninhabited (except by barbarians) so there should be room to add another team

14. DesertWolf

DesertWolf Chieftain

@canucksrule19: problem is that there is a hardcoded limit of 18 civilizations in cIV

but you could manually edit the file (i only changed china leader top qui something i cannot keep in my mind ;) as i like playing with his traits) and remove one civ and replace it with another and set the starting position to the place you want it to be

but i agree with the others, its the best world map so far

btw: how can you place cities (in thsi case for the barb cities) with the world builder? couldn't figure that out yet (it might be a bit off topic, i know, but i am curious)

15. Kudos

Kudos Warlord

How do you edit in your prefered leader :confused:? Just open the map in notepad or something?

16. aeric67

aeric67 Chieftain

I didn't use the World Builder at all, except to examine the map for errors and such when in the game. I used BMP to WBS converter and Photoshop CS almost exclusively.

But like others have said, you can always open up the map with Notepad (or Wordpad as I would prefer), then look at a plot with a barb city on it, then copy it to the plot you want (changing the name, etc). Also change your leaders that way. Oh yeah, make sure to use names for cities that are not on any of the city naming lists for the civs, otherwise they won't appear.

As far as mods go, I plan to remake this map as a scenario with a mod that combines possibly the slow-tech + balance mod and elements of the Superciv mod, then spread out the civs a bit more replacing stock civs with more generic names for those civs. So some form of Canada may make it in. Although probably not named Canada since that is a very new country. I don't even like the idea of "America" being in the game for the same reasons.

Which brings me to another point maybe someone can help with (but probably not until the SDK comes out). If we can get a mod that allows civs to be made from other civs through civil war, that would be something I'd be very interested in. I can see a list of sub-civs that you associate with a master civ (like the city list for a civ), which is basically a list of possible civs that get created from that civ through civil war. So England (or Bretagne actually) might have America, New Zealand, Australia, etc as its sub-civ list. France (or Gaul/Celt) would have Canada as one of its sub-civs. Then as a result, make civil disorder resulting in civil war a bit more common (especially for distance cities).

Anyway, big thoughts for a future thing.

17. winddbourne

winddbourne Prince

Just took a look at this map in the world builder, and it's looking pretty good. I did note two things that may be glitches though. First it doesn't look like england has any room on it's land mass for a second city without wasting turns moving around, and certainly not without overlap. adding a few tiles at the north and south and starting "england" on one of the tips could make a big difference here, even if it isn't quite as historically accurate. So could adding a piece of land connecting ireland to england diagonally, showing that very early peoples could travel between the islands without difficulty.

The second one is easier, it doesn't look like you can circumnavigate the mape at all without use of a "gateway" city in mesoamerica. This may be intentional as it WAS a very hard thing to do, and we did wind up with a panama canal, but I figure it's something worth pointing out.

Also for England adding in the small island to the northwest that was always included in CIV III world maps might help as well, so would a strip of better fishing and green coast on the tip of greenland where the vikings put there settlement, perhaps with a barbarian tribe to guard it.

18. kapitan

kapitan Chieftain

i just played the 1.1 version to the end, and have to say, its great. the new starting locations do much to improve balance - i played as germany and was not able to lock all of europe with a few moves as i did on the first version (accidentally, amof). also, your positioning of recources is very well planned.
    alltogether certainly the best map around :goodjob:
    england did very well in all my games, usually with 3 cities on their island. small but advanced and powerful. later on they tend to settle overseas, usually first iceland, later north and/or south america or the caribbean. strangely they NEVER tried to settle ireland (lucky irish ;) ) may that be because ireland is to CLOSE to england? maybe moving it just one tile west would give the english another island to settle, not initially, but early in the game ...
    i also wanted to make another suggestion: what do you think about using mainly ancient civilisations in the map? i refer to the americans: admittedly they playd a very important role in the 20th century, but it always feels kind of strange to see american knights on the great plains in the middle ages ;)
    (pls dont flame me, this is NOT against the usa, after all there IS already a map that includes them...)
    you could replace them with a native american civ. england usually tries to colonize america anyway... all other civs have been there since ancient times (to a various degree with egypt or china beeing there right from the beginning, while germany beeing little more than barbarians until fairly recently) also you could replace the french by the gauls, but then "ancientizing" all the civs (like germany, spain, russia etc) would be to much work. well anyway, its just an idea ...
    thanx for your great map :goodjob:

19. aeric67

aeric67 Chieftain

kapitan, I agree with you about some civs not quite belonging, particularly America. But many people like to play that civ so if I were to take it out and "ancientize" the rest of existing civs, it would probably be in a different map altogether, not a rev to this one (actually probably the same map, just a different release and probably more of a scenario than a map). After all, the game was made in the USA, so America is many people's favorites. Not only that, but the civ's name isn't USA, it's America. So that could represent almost any of the Native American tribes that were present there before Europeans. Although the fact that the leaderhead is composed of people of white European decent, I guess that possibility is obscured.

So I'd probably keep this map and that scenario separate if I did something like that. Any of you are welcome to do what we are talking about if you are so inclined :)

20. Tossy

Tossy Chieftain

One small fix to European crowding would be to move the Germans to Poland and call them the Prussians, since they are historicaly older than "Germany".