1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice

Earth map, good and bad, and a couple other things

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by AppleDumplingHead, Dec 22, 2016.

1. AppleDumplingHead

AppleDumplingHead Emperor

So, I'm playing as Gorgo on the new Earth map. It's very attractive and well done. However, there are no native villages. Is this by design?

I've noticed a couple things different, as well. I can't "discuss" with my Spanish neighbor to tell him to stop converting cities. We have not been at war, and it seems I was able to discuss this in the past, and we're "neutral". Did I miss something, or is this maybe a product of refined diplomacy? Maybe it's too early, we're only in medieval period?

In addition, my size 6 Greek capitol, which contains holy site and campus, is not allowed to build Acropolis. I thought unique districts didn't count toward district maximum. Is this consideration only when the district has been built? (i.e. build the district when population allows, and subsequently you can build an additional district) I guess, maybe, I've not been conscious to this before, never come across the specific situation.

2. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

There was a change concerning districts. Unique Districts also require population and count when the district limit is calculated. The patch notes say that this applies to most unique districts. Presumably, Baths and Mbanzas are still excluded from the count.

ales_ and AppleDumplingHead like this.
  3. AppleDumplingHead

Ah ha. I spaced that. Thanks.

4. AppleDumplingHead

I forgot to mention, I watched Spain send a great prophet exploring, 13+ tiles east to my border, only to turn around and head back. Barbarian scouts nearby ignored it. I thought this was both odd and bogus.

5. blasto

blasto Prince

I think its stupid that its locked to standard size.

6. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

They tooltip for Earth map in the select screen notes that there are no tribal villages, so it's clearly by design.

7. McGreggD

McGreggD Chieftain

I seen the same thing in one of my games. America built stonehenge and instead of founding a religion the AI sent the prophet exploring near my borders around 20 tiles away, this was on a random map so it's not the earth map that causes it. I got a screenshot of it because I thought it was funny but I'm using my phone right now to post.

8. AppleDumplingHead

I don't see this.

edit.. I see it now. There is a permanent check in the "no tribal village" in advanced options. Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  9. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

Just started my first post patch game as Poland on the Earth map. I started in Europe even, bonus, although more in Paris location and now Warsaw, but whatever.

Didn't realize no goody huts, no biggie, I will adapt. I should have increased number of civs though, still haven't found anybody.

So far I like it. While some of the random maps were good, I admit I'm an Earth map fanatic. Earth is just so... elegant. I'm one of those kids that spent a lot of time looking at Atlases as a kid. Planning my world domination. Ooops, shouldn't have let that out.

edit: The Aztecs are in the Middle East, so this will work out nicely. I don't like to leave them alive anyways, they attack me quite a bit.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
    Wr4ith and narmox like this.
  10. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

I'm finding the AI much more competitive on this map. Anyone else have the same experience? By competitive, I'm mostly talking about tech and civics technologies. They are still the same dysfunctional self militarily.

Overall, I'm finally happy to have an Earth map. Now if we could get it in tiny and large sizes as well... It's a decent enough map. Of course Scotland is way up in the upper reaches of the map. They must get cold in the winter. The "poles" are weird on this map, but I can live with it. No sense taking up half the map with ice.

11. Manifold

Manifold ModderProtectionAdvocate

The map remembers me a lot to the Civ 1 earth map.
    The map is nice designed no question, but the missing opportunity to play with true starting locations is a bit outdated.
    Also, that there are no goody huts, the main aspect of early discovery, is strange.

A simple 1000 AD scenario would have been very cool.

12. Mount Suribachi

Mount Suribachi Prince

Well that's just dumb. Why wouldn't you have it as an on/off option like every other map?

13. bladex

bladex Emperor

you can only play it on standard size so how useless is that!

14. stiiknafuulia

stiiknafuulia King

Your standards seem pretty low to me. I wouldn't play on this map if I were threatened with a radioactive stick. It is small, bland, lacking in Hills and Rivers, lacks TSL(!!), has 8 Civs max, has only random resources, and, most importantly, looks like it was drawn by Sid Meier's 4-year old niece between splashing in puddles and throwing food at the walls in Kindergarten. Imo, this map is worse than nothing, and a slap in the face of dedicated Earth map enthusiasts.

need my speed and bladex like this.
  15. oroniel

oroniel Chieftain

Wow, it's tiny...

need my speed likes this.
  16. Vahnstad

Vahnstad King

I started two times as America and it was on the same spot right in North America (michigan/midwest or trump country). Also, even if civs don't have a dedicated starting location, they will often be in a certain area thanks to tile restrictions and the lack of rivers on a map.

I didn't like it and America was quite isolated when I explored a while into central america before getting destroyed by barbarians after already kind of a bad start. (it's hard to reach south america because of the small land connection, rainforest and mountain tiles and the barbarians you need to beat.

17. Vahnstad

Vahnstad King

Weird, i started again as Russia and I spawned on present-day location of Paris.

18. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Not so weird. The Earth map doesn't include "true start location" functionality, so Russia can spawn anywhere on the globe (even in the heart of France).

19. BloodySunday

BloodySunday Chieftain

I wish they would have a true start option and then you pick the civs or atleast make it random. I don't wanna play Egypt in South America, chariots in the rain forrest with mountains isn't fun plus I want to settle on the nile. Also think like there should be a village option. I love the map but no villages and same start location that is only accurate for a few civs is not Earth to me. I changed cpu civs and tried like 6 times and everytime same exact spot in south america

20. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the Ursu Kingdom

Then get the the Yet Another Mappack, it's much more convinence since modders are more likely to keep it up to date than Firaxis.