1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Earth scenario - lack of strategy (for this scenario :-)!) in these forums

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Tossa75, Nov 4, 2009.

1. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

You can but it isn't necessary. The peak bottleneck screws the default AI so Monty won't attack you, leaving you scott free to settle all of south america untouched by anything but barbs. But your UU owns early barbs, and you have easy access to copper anyway. The jungle land is rough to clear but very powerful once you've done so.

Probably the hardest start is Mali. Japan can get 3 cities then go GLH + spam cities into asia (a little) and down the phillipines into australia with just galleys. Working colossus coast is also an alternative and gives you triremes to spank the barb galleys away too. Mongolia would be hard but you can just blitz China for the good land...kind of like most of Europe. Of course, the winner of monty vs roosevelt gets very good land also.

But mali gets a terribly slow start due to poor initial tiles and has to contend with egypt for africa...which is weak compared to the other continents (even south america!) and probably better than only australia and the south pole ^_^. On the bright side, you know where Egypt is and can run over there and skirm rush them to death on most difficulties, giving you a crack at ALL of Africa, which is quite doable at least.

2. Sicky

Sicky Chieftain

Umm... sorry for the silly question, but how can I change the Civs/Leaders that appear on the map? I'd really like to make my own version with leaders I wanna have there.

thanks

3. I-imp

I-imp Warlord

My way might not be the best way, but its certainly time consuming.... I just remade the map with two versions open. Vanilla for the map, and BTS for the one I create.

4. dalamb

dalamb Deity

I posted a draft of directions on how to change ONE civ in madscientist's recent George III RPC. There ought to be a better way...

There's also an old thread, recently revived, with a lot of advice on how to play this map; I'm not so sure it's a good idea to duplicate all of that here.

5. BarrageQueen

BarrageQueen Warlord

What I do is just edit the "Earth18Civs.Civ4WorldBuilderSave" Mine was in the public maps folder. When opened with notepad etc, the file has info on the leader, civ, starting location, handicap, starting tech, etc. Just change those around and save the original file somewhere if you want.

Example:

BeginPlayer
    LeaderType=LEADER_MEHMED
    CivType=CIVILIZATION_OTTOMAN
    Team=0
    PlayableCiv=1
    StartingX=71, StartingY=45
    Handicap=HANDICAP_DEITY
    EndPlayer
    BeginPlayer
    LeaderType=LEADER_JULIUS_CAESAR
    CivType=CIVILIZATION_ROME
    Team=1
    PlayableCiv=1
    StartingX=61, StartingY=46
    Handicap=HANDICAP_DEITY
    EndPlayer
    BeginPlayer
    LeaderType=LEADER_ASOKA
    CivType=CIVILIZATION_INDIA
    Team=2 ...

6. Infantry#14

Infantry#14 Emperor

yea, that's the way to go. But the starting position is a bit tricky. You probably need to worldbuilder on your first turn and manually move the new civ's settler to their historical position.

7. BarrageQueen

BarrageQueen Warlord

Actually, I've been fine with just using the (x,y) coordinates for locating the settler(s) et al.

As for which civs/leaders to bring in and which to eject, I like to replace Roosevelt with Washington in NA for one. You'd be shocked just how much better the AI Georgie does vs. Monty. Europe, I pretty much leave alone except bringing Izzy 1E to the plains hill coast site. Swapping Greece out for Mehmed can be interesting as well. The continent that really needs some work is Asia, though, as Qin becomes way too powerful in the standard map. I've tried bringing in Suryavarman and/or Wang K in place of Toku and that seems to be effective. Oh yeah, try dumping Mansa for Shaka in Africa too.

8. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Correct, it works very easily if you wipe starting units.

I usually use a tank/panzer/etc to serve as a place holder for where I want a new civ, which allows me to easily identify the correct X/Y in the world builder text and assign that to the leader. Of course that unit gets swept out by removing beginunit there after that.

Sitting Bull should hold up vs monty reasonably well too BTW.

9. Sicky

Sicky Chieftain

Ok, now I've opened it in notepad, changed a few things, saved it but it doesn't appear in the custom scenario menu.

After doing the changes, I saved it as a new file (instead of replacing the "earth18civs.civ4worldbuildersave"). Now it appears in the PublicMaps folder as .txt file.

What can I do to actually play the map?

10. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Don't save it as a text file. Keep the original save format when you change the name...

11. Sicky

Sicky Chieftain

Thanks. But now I have a new problem: I started the map, and entered worldbuilder.
    I noticed that Hattie and Asoka were in their right starting places, but others were completely messed up. Toku started where Persia should have, Persia where Rome etc. Now it souldn't be too difficult to just move the settlers, but I also noticed another issue: In the notepad, I replaced Julius with Augustus, and now Rome doesn't appear in the map at all.

*sigh* this is getting ridiculous

EDIT: Nevermind, solved the problem. And many thanks to BarrageQueen and TheMeInTeam for helping me out :)

12. BarrageQueen

BarrageQueen Warlord

There's couple things you have to be careful of when editing the WB save.

1) The civ/leader ordering. If you look, each have a team #, but not only that, they have the starting techs enumerated separately. Mess up the ordering and you'll get chaos. Not matching up the starting location coords with the right leaders will naturally lead to snafu as well.

2) Leader names. Julius Caesar is JULIUS_CAESAR, but Augustus Caesar is AUGUSTUS only. I found this out the hard way as well. Mao is CHINESE_LEADER for whatever reason.

It's not the easiest editing process, but keep the details right and you can enjoy the game the way you want to.

13. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Also WB save files are case AND spacing sensitive...so you better have that PlayableCiv capitalized as such, because playableciv won't work :sad:.

14. pigswill

pigswill fly (one day)

Mali works fine if you head north and settle Timbuktu on the Carthage site then rush Egypt.

15. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Yeah. Between Africa and an easily attained South America You can get pretty huge without TOO much trouble then, but it's still probably the hardest of the starts.

16. cudfather

cudfather Prince

Well, I won it once with the Romans - it wasn't hard at all. When I conquered Europe, I had so big production that I didn't stop building units. I attacked Russia, Egypt, Arabs, Mali, Cyrus, Asoka, Qin... (Mongols destroyed by the Chinese). I left Japan for the end.
    Then I built about 10 transporters and filled them with tanks, rushed Roosevelt (5 coastal cities taken in first turn of war). After dealing with him, I attacked Monty and then isolated Incan (easiest part). Then I moved all my units onto the transporters and sailed near Japan. I took al their cities, leaving just one - on a 1-plot-island on the Pacific. I waited for japanese cieties to stop the revolt and then i killed the las GRENADIER :lol:

Now I play with Mongols. I destroyed China in about 600 BC, then upgraded all the cities and settled Sibieria. Now I'm training riflemen to attack Cyrus - I have obout 1400 pts., second civ (I don't remember which one) under 900 :cool:

So it is really easy. Though I have never played with Incas or Mali, I have to try them out after conquering the world with Mongols :D

17. KeloGBites

KeloGBites Warlord

Inca are do-able, in human hands. The AI can't do :):):):) with them. Arabian start is pretty rough as well, Cyrus with his great production start and fast Imperialistic settlers will usually beat you to Mesopatamia, Alex really likes Turkey but you can beat him there if you send your second settler there, but then you are gonna get some very crippling distance costs for so early in the game.

Moderator Action: Language - warned
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

18. JoeHollywood

JoeHollywood Warlord

as arabia, if you warrior rush persia, you're going to win that war 9 of 10 times.

19. Kid R

Kid R Emperor

Re. Inca, actually Monty *will* attack on galleys as early as maces, but only if he's buddies with Roos, which happens maybe one in 5-10 times in my experience. He'll only become buddies if he gets a religion and roos adopts it, in which case everything hinges on whether you get it too (adopt and yr safe).

I got a bit obsessed with the Inca start when Vanilla came out, trying to find a way round into the sweet green stuff in reasonable time. FWIW I'm almost certain the best way round is the south way, as the city sites down there are much easier to get established and pumping out settlers/units/workers. (/workers/workers/workers/workers/workers/workers ;))

20. Verto1

Verto1 Chieftain

Oh yeah the South way for sure, its an interesting game although a tad on the boring side. Kinda like playing as any of the American Civ's on the map. Heats up at the end when you can join the rest the world, hopefully as a super power.