Easter egg?

Usually easter eggs are things that are revealed when you do something special or when special circumstances occur. In one of the Civ3 expansions (Conquests?) the King units got replaced by Elvis images on his birthday.

Stardog13 said:
In the Notre Dame Cathedral wonder video the river should be on the other side of the cathedral.
The Notre Dame is on an island is it not? ;)

Don't know how the water could be 'on the wrong side' of an island, though :p

I don't know if they qualify as real easter eggs, but it looks like they did some funny city naming thing again (also in Civ3 I think). You can look them up in the XML files. I don't have them at hand now, but I remember there being cities (usually the last name in a city list) that are dubious to have ever been real cities names: Apolyton, Le Bam, The Mumbles, Mable.

In case you happen to live in such named cities, my apologies :)

CurtSibling said:
The 'Never fight a land war in Asia' line is a reference to 'The Princess bride', methinks...!

:)

I think Douglas MacArthur might take issue with that. :)

chris8b said:
I think Douglas MacArthur might take issue with that. :)

I think he might have 40+ years ago ... he's not taking issue with much nowadays ;)

Not sure if it qualifies as an easter egg, but the little clip of music that plays when you complete the Theatre building (and other culture-providing buildings) is a clip from some of the dancing music from Pirates!

To Darkdude,

not sure about all the 'funny' names you mentioned there. Apolyton seems to be a reference to the strategy games fansite. But 'The Mumbles' is certainly a real place. It is a village on the edge of Swansea in South Wales (I live in this area, and from the beach near my house can look across the bay to Mumbles and it's lighthouse.) This was discussed in another thread about strange city names in the Civ 3 forums. If I remember correctly, although The Mumbles is in Wales I believe it has always been part of the English civilization rather than the Celts. The reason for this is that Mumbles is on the edge of the Gower, a rather attractive land in South Wales (the first protected environment in the UK) which has historically been captured and colonized by first the Romans, and later the English.

Top Bottom