1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Eastern Europe is NOT under-represented

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Saim, Jun 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saim

Saim King

1) There is a new Eastern European civ in BtS: not the Holy Roman Empire: the Byzantines! Whats wrong with that?

2) There are already the Ottomans (capital was in Eastern Europe...), Greeks and Russians if you dont believe there is a Southern Europe. If you do believe there is a Southern Europe, then Eastern Europe is so small that Russia is enough.

2. LuKo

LuKo The Royal Guard

Holy Roman Empire was in Eastern Europe and Charlemagne was it's leader. Are you from America?

3. Willowmound

Willowmound Wordbug

Neither of these are Eastern European. Eastern Europe is Russia and all the countries that was part of, or attached to, the Soviet Union.

4. RedRalph

RedRalph Deity

the UN has definitions, and Willows definition is correct according to them (Although I think Estionia might be counted as northern Europe)

5. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

Byzantines did heavily culturally influence eastern europe, but they were in no way part of it. even geographically, the Byzantines had not that much there. they were more "southern european" aka Mediteranean.

and...

as well as most of its European satellite nations.

6. Saim

Saim King

The thing is, the definition of Eastern Europe that you guys are using is so vaguely defined that it is a useless. So if you agree there is a Southern Europe... then the Romans arent Western European? Neither are the Spanish and Portugese? Then Western Europe is a small definition as well.

7. RedRalph

RedRalph Deity

Just saying east or west or whatever dosent make sense, in that case Iceland cant be western Europe as its so much further north than anywhere else considered west europe, or so much forther west than anywhere considered northern Europe. I always consider Ireland to be western Europe, but you could easily make the case for it being Northern.

Up til 89 there was a clear east west divide, which was more political than geographical (Greece) but its gone now and the lines are blurred

8. Mirc

Mirc Not mIRC!!!

First of all: I've never said Eastern Europe is unrepresented, or advocated for any civs there to be in.

But your post is... strange to say the least! Byzantium is Southern Europe and the near Asia, the Ottoman capital was HALF in EE and half in Asia, and they weren't European, the Holy Roman Empire was in Central Europe.

By the way, I don't agree with what definition of Eastern Europe people are using here. Geographically, if you just divide Europe in three, Poland, Hungary, Bulgaria, Romania, Serbia, Croatia, Germany are all in Central Europe. Russia, Ukraine and the nearby small countries are in Eastern Europe.

9. Angst

Angst Rambling and inconsistent

I'm sorry to say so, but this is just as worse as another Polish thread. :(

However, I agree with you in some points, even though I want Poland to be in in a next X-pack, which is propably not going to be there.

10. Willowmound

Willowmound Wordbug

It's not vague. I already told you. Eastern Europe comprises the countries that were on "the other side" of the Iron Curtain.

The term "Easert Europe", as it's used, has as much to do with geography as the term "the West". Australia is part of "the West" -- it's a Western country. That doesn't mean that Australia is in the Western hempsphere. It isn't.

11. Mirc

Mirc Not mIRC!!!

^ And since the Iron Curtain fell, we don't need that definition any more, so we should use the geographical one. Just my opinion!

12. Willowmound

Willowmound Wordbug

Oh, you opine away! :)

But this is how it's still used.

13. eric_

eric_ Emperor

One thing I've never understood is why Europe and Asia are considered separate continents. It's ridiculous.

14. Mirc

Mirc Not mIRC!!!

^ Well, geographically, Europe is a big peninsula of Asia.

It's because of the cultural differences, and resemblances between European countries, forming a common European fund different to the Chinese or Japanese or Indian one, though with more things in common with India than with others.

15. Willowmound

Willowmound Wordbug

As ridiculous as considering North America and South America separate continents?

16. Willowmound

Willowmound Wordbug

Mirc, you are a master crossposter!

17. Mirc

Mirc Not mIRC!!!

I know!! :smug:

18. eric_

eric_ Emperor

Slightly more ridiculous, especially now with the panama canal separating the two. But, even before that, how many miles wide is the strip of land that separates Asia and Europe? Where, exactly is that line, anyway? At least with South America, you go from like 100 miles across to thousands of miles across at the southern tip of Central America.

I mean, I'm pretty sure it's based on tectonic plates, so there's a geographical basis, but...there are myriad tectonic plates in North America. Maybe California should be considered a continent ;).

19. Saim

Saim King

So if there is South/East/West/North Europe, then I think in this case Russia is enough.

RE the "Related to Soviet Union" thing... then what about Yugoslavia? As well, in that case, doesnt Russia represent that (since Stalin is a leader)?

20. TheLastOne36

TheLastOne36 Deity

WELL, WELL. You had your little party before i came.

Your being as ignorant as Fireaxis. HRE and Byzantines are not in East Europe. HRE is in Central/West Europe (same as germany). Byzantines are in Southern/Mediterranean Europe. Ottomans are in Asia. There Capital was a Cross-Continent Capital.

Romans are in Western Europe as well as Southern Europe. Greeks are in Southern Europe.

And look at the population numbers. Russia is just a percantige of the population. Out of 710 000 000 people who live in Europe, 308 858 300 people live in East Europe. Take away 106 million from that number, you'll see that russia is just a fraction of the total population. (this is excluding Siberia and Asian Russia)

This is Eastern Europe if you wanted to know.

This is the europe who is unrepresented. Notice the huge bulk in slavic and eastern europe? (And places like iceland count as Vikings)

Then there's the argument that Non-Russian slavs would hate to be represented by russia and only russia. Adding Poland, Serbia or Bulgaria or Ukraine would fix this problem.

Not at all. That just makes thigns worse for all of slavic europe. (and hungary and Romania).

Plus when it comes to market. In America, A huge population is polish, around 7% of it's 300 000 000 population. which is huge. That's not even counting the huge amount of people who have Polish blood but aren't new immigrants. Similer deal with Canada. Poland is a marvelous choice when it comes to market.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.