1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Eastern Europe is NOT under-represented

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Saim, Jun 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. injeKT

injeKT Chieftain

You can read a topic on something completely random and it never fails that at least 1-3 people from some other country will pop in and spout some anti-American rhetoric full of the same cliched buzzwords that we have to deal with daily. For the most part we just laugh it off as listening to some Frenchie or Englander go off on how 'bad' America is has lots of comedic value. They never see the irony. They go off on how American's supposedly know nothing of history outside of their own country but know not that they are showing the same generalizing like that.

I can't believe how xenophobic Europe is on the whole.

2. injeKT

injeKT Chieftain

WOW! What part of "Charlemagne's crowning KICKSTARTED the HRE" are you having issues understanding?

3. Angst

Angst Rambling and inconsistent

injeKT, you are generalizing yourself.

4. Ishon

Ishon Warlord

He was NOT a leader of the HRE and he had no idea such a thing as the HRE we have in the game would ever exist.

What is referred to "the Holy Roman Emperor" in English is mostly referred to as "the German Emperor" in Polish. What is "the HRE" in English is often referred to as "the First Reich" in German. Why? Because in fact it was Germany.

The fact that Charlemagne coined the HRE term (what you call "kickstarting") does not mean that he led the HRE. He was a Frankish king.

Charlemagne's death "kickstarted" France and Germany, what about this?

5. injeKT

injeKT Chieftain

Ugh. You're dense.

I have some Pole jokes. Wanna hear some?

6. injeKT

injeKT Chieftain

No, I was talking about a specific kind of poster on the forums. Not lumping entire nations of people into a pot and offending them.

7. Ishon

Ishon Warlord

It seems you are not even able to respond to what I told you.

Charlemagne was never a leader of the HRE we have in Civ 4. If the HRE made any sense in this game (which I believe it does not, because we already have Germany), it should be led e.g. by Otto I.

8. NyukXI

NyukXI Warlord

Judging from the map on wikipedia alone (which only shows the HRE in the 17th century) the HRE controlled pretty much all of Slovenia. All of what is now the Czech Republic, Pommerania along the North coast of Poland, and a strip along Southern Poland, near the border with the Czech Republic. All of which is territory that falls within what is called Eastern Europe. And I would definitely say it's a lot of land. Did they control most of Eastern Europe? No. But did they control a lot of land in East Europe. Especially if you consider how the Ottoman Empire was encroaching from the South and Russia from the East, the controlled quite a bit of what was left of the area we call East Europe. Poland was essentially all that was left.

I do not know of whom you speak specifically, but even assuming that some American did say something extremely ignorant, that in no way reflects on every American, a majority, or anything else of the sort. Especially considering that we're largely talking about History, which at least in my experience most of my peers find history, of any sort including American (I'm American) to be boring. So assuming that most people on this site are just casual gamers and not Historians ignorance is largely excusable. But if someone says something ignorant, then correct them. Their intelligence shouldn't be insulted, let alone that of their entire nation.

9. Angst

No, you just talk about entire continents. :rolleyes:

10. injeKT

injeKT Chieftain

It doesn't matter. . .. .. .. .. .ing about it on the forums isn't going to get you anywhere. Don't like that HRE is in the game? Don't play as HRE.

Simple as that.

11. injeKT

injeKT Chieftain

You ever been to an international soccer game?

12. Angst

No, I don't appreciate Soccer much. Why?

13. injeKT

injeKT Chieftain

I'm not saying anything is wrong with xenophobia. In fact, on the contrary, really. I wish America was more xenophobic. It would bring us closer together as a people...but that will never happen as America is chock full of immigrants that feel they should never swear fealty to the land which they have migrated to.

14. TheLastOne36

TheLastOne36 Deity

Yes so why are you here? To bother us? We are here to discuss East europe's underrepresentation in the game. You have nothing here to discuss with us. Please leave enless you feel like you like to discuss with us about east europe.

15. injeKT

injeKT Chieftain

The people above are just as off-topic, bro.

Anway, meet me online and let's play an epic game of CIV4. GOGOGO!

16. aelf

aelf Ashen One

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Wait, why are you still here?

17. injeKT

injeKT Chieftain

18. Ishon

Ishon Warlord

You aren't right here. Look at the map of Europe in 1400 A.D.: http://www.euratlas.net/PHA/history_europe/europe_map_1400.html

Eastern Europe is everything East to Germany. The HRE only controlled tiny territories such as Slovenia (totally irrelevant), Bohemia, Pomerania and Silesia. That's a tiny part of Eastern Europe, not much of it. Much of it was controlled by Poland and the Muscovites. If you call the Balkans Eastern Europe (we call it Southern Europe here), then the Ottomans would be the third party here. Even Hungary alone controlled more of Eastern Europe than Germany (I mean: the HRE) did.

19. TheLastOne36

TheLastOne36 Deity

the only post above is yours. and yes you are of topic.

20. injeKT

injeKT Chieftain

You were dropped as a child, weren't you?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.