1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Eastern Europe is NOT under-represented

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Saim, Jun 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ishon

Ishon Warlord

It seems you lack any historical knowledge so much that you see no choice but to refer to insulting other people here. And remember you came here complaining about people's low opinion of the average American's knowledge of world history.

Isn't this ironic?

2. LuKo

LuKo The Royal Guard

It's beautiful non OT post, isn't it?

Lithuania was still there and was much bigger than Poland ;)

3. dutchking

dutchking Deity

Well, actually, both the Netherlands and Portugal with their colonies are MUCH larger than Poland has ever been or will be. LastOne36, you said something like this one time:
    "I don't understand why people are still complaining about the HRE and Poland, I've gotten over it, why can't they?"
    That's not exactly it but you did say something like that on some thread. Honestly, I don't think you've gotten over it yet. But you've got to admit, the arguement is dead. You killed it. It is not breathing. It is dead. I'm tired of hearing all of this crap like:
    "Poland is more important than India."
    "Poland deserves to be in more than the Netherlands or Portugal or Spain or Germany or England or China or Mongolia or America, etc."
    It's making me sick and tired guys...:vomit:

4. Ishon

Ishon Warlord

Yeah actually the Muscovites weren't that strong in the 1400 A.D. either, I was thinking of a later period and it seems as if I meant the 1400 :p.

5. Ishon

Ishon Warlord

The Netherlands, India, Portugal, Spain, Germany, England, China, Mongolia and the United States are in the game.

I haven't seen anyone here who would say that we should kick Portugal out to put Poland in.

6. NyukXI

NyukXI Warlord

But remember, at the time that Prussia and Austria partitioned Poland with Russia, they were still technically within the HRE, it wasn't yet dissolved by Napoleon. At 1400, true the HRE doesn't have a whole lot. But over time they, along with Russia moved in on East Europe during the 18th century, which pretty much only comprised of Poland-Lithuania at the time.

7. Ishon

Ishon Warlord

Yes you're right, I think the most confusing factor here is that we are talking about the HRE and not about real countries. I somehow forgot that Prussia was also part the HRE.

It's just utterly stupid that the HRE is in the game, I think we're back to the very beginning now.

Honestly, I have never read or heard anything like "the HRE partitioned Poland". I've read damn many historical books, I've seen a lot of documentaries and this whole HRE mania sounds just totally strange to me.

8. Ishon

Ishon Warlord

That was not a state. The Catholic countries were technically ruled by the Pope, but we don't consider them all to be one civ.

This HRE is so extremely annoying. Napoleon did a good job, but that was much too late anyway.

9. TheLastOne36

TheLastOne36 Deity

I think this guy actually has his facts straight. :goodjob:

in size, but we know the story ;)

I am tired of this argument. I'm not arguing wether or not HRE is in or if poland should be in before it, I'm arguing against the people who keep on bashing poland.

10. dutchking

dutchking Deity

Alright, but just so you know theres always therapy...;)
    :joke:
    Just kidding...but if you really need one I know someone...:lol:

11. NyukXI

NyukXI Warlord

After the Thirty Years War most history texts seem to start referring to individual states (e.g. Saxony, Austria, etc.) within the Empire opposed to the HRE as a collective entity since what little power the Emperor had left was pretty much gone after the war. For all intents and purposes the Empire died after the Thirty Years War (it was scraping by even before then). Yet, the title of Emperor survived until Napoleon reorganized the German territories.

12. Duncan_Idaho

Duncan_Idaho Chieftain

Ok, Eastern Europe IS under-represented.

May be this is because Eastern Europe is not a good market.
    However, saying "There is the Byzantine Empire and Russia." is like saying "There is the Roman Empire, why add the English?". Or "There is Germany, why add the Dutch?".

Many eastern European countries had fascinating history which is not largely known due to the lack of interest in these countries. I myself am not acquainted with the history of many parts of the world - it just works thisway;) Before I played Civ IV for example, I had no idea about the Malinese history.

I am a fan of representing as many civilizations as possible though. I think the game will be more interesting with more civilizations. Amra's modpack is great in that sense, I've been playing it for a long time. :)

I think the Huns would be a good implementation to the game. Who wouldn't love to play the huns?:) Also Bulgaria (ancient history, cultural centre for Eastern Europe) and Poland (interesting history, many polish players perhaps?) could be added. Oh well, I'm happy that the Incas and the Mayan made it into the game, what am I complaining about:p

But seriously, Eastern Europe is underreprsesented. It's not a big deal but..hmm, western Europe is overrepresented :p

13. TheLastOne36

TheLastOne36 Deity

I agreed with you throughout your post. :goodjob:

14. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

hello... where has the Quote Wars gotten too?

15. TheLastOne36

TheLastOne36 Deity

the problem left and now we're agreeing with each other.

16. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

a peace treaty??? darn. someone go bashing at Eastern Europe or something say something obviuosly ignorant. :D

17. Mango

Mango Tasty Fruit

Whah whah whah.

I've yet to hear one single decent reason why Poland should be in that I or a number of other people haven't thoroughly refuted. The only thing remotely close has been "They are a major ethnic group that is unrepresented" but there are so many groups that have been lumped together in Asia or ignored completely in Africa that you really can't make that arguement. And what is this "fascinating history" business? If Eastern Europe was damn fascinating and wonderful you'd think we would have heard about it. I've never read anything particularly interesting about Eastern Europe. As far as I'm concenred the only reason Eastern Europe is underrepresented and Western Europe is overrepresented is because Western Europe and Russia have had a long history of power and Eastern Europe has had a long history of nothing except existing, getting conquered, etc.

That's going to piss off a lot of you Polish people, and maybe if Civ ever expanded AGAIN there would be room for the Poles, but not before they split the Chinese dynasties, include another South Asia and South-East Asian civ, a Polynesian civ, perhaps the Olmecs or Brazilians, Nubians... I'm not sure about the Huns, but from a purely financial standpoint I think they would attract more new players than a Polish empire. I just think some of you people are too busy trying to fill in dots in Europe and completely ignoring the rest of the world, and then you're justifying it with your stupid American schtick because we don't think Poland or Eastern-Europe warrants more representation.

18. Mango

Mango Tasty Fruit

Delivered!:crazyeye:

19. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

remember children (and not-children), "fascinating history" is just an opinion. i think Vietnamese history is more interesting than Polish history. seriously. whats more awesome than beating the **** out of a bunch of superpowers? that is opinion. :D

seriously, if they have the HRE, they should split China into the "Early Chinese" (Han, Tang, etc.), "Middle Chinese" (Song, Ming, etc.) and "Modern Chinese" (PRC). hehe.

i am in full support of representation, and an addition to Eastern Europe would be nice. if, in a third unlikely expansion, the civ list is something like this:

- Eastern European civ (Poland, Hungary, Bulgaria, etc.)
    - South American civ (Brazil, Venuezla, Argentina, etc.)
    - Polynesia
    - Indonesia
    - Maybe another SE Asian civ (Only VIetnam here! fine, maybe Thailand too)
    - African Civ (Congo, Swahili, Kanem-Bornu, etc.)
    - Central Asian civ (Kurds, Turkmens, Parthia, Bactria, etc.)

if the civ list was something like that, i think we would have a good and decent representation of the world.

but, of course, someones still going to have to complain. :)

20. TheLastOne36

TheLastOne36 Deity

to lazy to replie.

Mango do we really have to respond? Just look up polish hhistory on wiki.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.