Eastern Europe is NOT under-represented

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, it really is worth checking what you were taught in "grade school," since it is frequently oversimplified or span as nationalist propaganda

Also, it is often outdated - gods, some of the things I was taught in school would be laughed at now..... not making reference to any of the above of course!

also would it matter if i had part of my schooling years in canada?

No - and I already knew that... you've mentioned it enough times over the last 2899 posts!! :lol:

Polish Hussars dont beat Pikes.... they beat very thin formations of pikes (3 deep) used to protect muskets.

Against a full pike regiment? Even without schiltrom or other anti cav formations... utter slaughter - and very expensive slaughter at that... which is why they never did it.

Yah but it just doesn't seem the same anymore... And i know it could be camel, Mule, or elephant...
Well, there's a difference, yeah, but they're the same basic thing. After all, a horse archer functions as differently from a lancer as either do from a tank.

wrong, there's pictures done by Austrian painters during the battle of Vienna showing the wings. i have the picture somewhere. i have to find it.
You can't trust romantic renaissance painters for historical accuracy, they always dress things up. If you believed them, you'd think knights went into battle with crested tilting helms and full heraldic regalia.

Well you can call us poles the "european mongols" we lived to breed horses back then. i'd probably be in a horse breeding pasture if i was alive 600 years ago.
Well, really, you'd probably be a dirt-farming serf like everyone else. No offense meant, of course, so would I- I am, after all, Irish-Catholic- but this just seems like another example of inaccurate romantic nationalism, not least because it conflicts with your earlier assertions of late medieval Poland as a futuristic superpower... :rolleyes:

Well, really, you'd probably be a dirt-farming serf like everyone else. No offense meant, of course, so would I- I am, after all, Irish-Catholic- but this just seems like another example of inaccurate romantic nationalism, not least because it conflicts with your earlier assertions of late medieval Poland as a futuristic superpower...

the only reason why poland had serfs for so long was because of the partisans and russia.

here is an example of polish serfdom however:
The amount of serfdom required varied, for example in Poland in the 13th century it was few days a year; in the 14th century, one day per week; four days per week in the 17th century and six days per week in the 18th century, and early serfdom was most limited on the royal territories

the only reason why poland had serfs for so long was because of the partisans and russia.

My personal opinion on this comment is:

Most Western European countries had made it illegal sometime shortly after the Renaissance (except for France, and look at the trouble it caused them!!), the reason it remained so long particularly in Poland is actually actually due to the fact that Poland had long escaped the clutches of the Black Death. This had vastly undermined established social order and weakened serfdom considerably in the countries it affected.

Poland, as a bread basket of Europe had very much depended on serfdom to maintain production of basic foods - very labour intensive. Its poor infrastructure, large landmass and generally decentralised populace were probably the main factors in Poland avoiding the plague... and in turn the plague didn't disrupt the social order, thereby cementing serfdom more and more firmly.

Certainly, political considerations are part of this too when Poland fell completely under Russian rule in 1795 and ceased to exist as a state, but the partisans had little effect on persisting serfdom.

That's not the point- the point is that, for most of their recorded history, the majority of Poles- as with most nations- were sedentary agricultural labours, not horse-breeding pastoralists. Whatever the reasons for this are irrelevant- I wasn't blaming you, there's no need to be so defensive- it's just a fact.

That's not the point- the point is that, for most of their recorded historu, the majority of Poles- as with most nations- were sedentary agricultural labours, not horse-breeding pastoralists. Whatever the reasons for this are irrelevant- I wasn't blaming you- it's just a fact.

well i'm not arguing fact, so yah i postyed something stupid.

Ans spearthrower is right on the serf thing in poland the the black death,

You guys did 4 screens since yesterday. You're now officially out of control and deserve the :deadhorse:

Wodan

This topic is due for a :bump:

Besides just because we got a new topic, doesn't mean we can't forget about this topic! :D

OK this isn't getting much attention... Time to make an argument...

Poland and Venice were the strongest states in europe at one point.

And NO we did not charge tanks with horses.

Should any user get trapped?

I think,a thread is like child.You must take care for them.Love them...

Poland, as a bread basket of Europe had very much depended on serfdom to maintain production of basic foods - very labour intensive. Its poor infrastructure, large landmass and generally decentralised populace were probably the main factors in Poland avoiding the plague... and in turn the plague didn't disrupt the social order, thereby cementing serfdom more and more firmly.

I more or less agree but for different reasons. The problem is that you seem to have only superifical knowledge of European history. To call Poland the "bread basket of Europe" is a gross oversimplication. I agree that serfdom was a big factor, but in the 1500 and 1600 Poland was not merely a backward feudal society. You need to read more about this subject because you arguments are not very sophisticated or well informed.

I more or less agree but for different reasons. The problem is that you seem to have only superifical knowledge of European history. To call Poland the "bread basket of Europe" is a gross oversimplication. I agree that serfdom was a big factor, but in the 1500 and 1600 Poland was not merely a backward feudal society. You need to read more about this subject because you arguments are not very sophisticated or well informed.

DAMN STRAIGHT!!!!

lol.. :lol: :)joke:)

A superficial knowledge, not sophisticated or informed? And then you agree with me? :lol:

Dont worry Poppa, I wont rise to your obvious trolling that seems your only intent in all your posts.

A superficial knowledge, not sophisticated or informed? And then you agree with me? :lol:

I agree with some of your points, but not for the reasons that you gave. The reasons you gave were superificial. You should support your views on Poland with more sophisticated arguments, and read more about the subject of Poland.

Dont worry Poppa, I wont rise to your obvious trolling that seems your only intent in all your posts.

You need to provide valid counter-arguments. To say that disagreeing with you is "obvious trolling" is NOT a valid argument. Validity consists in inferring a conclusion on the basis of one or more premises, which, if true, would guarantee the truth of the conclusion. Your "argument ad trollum" is not a valid argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom