1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Eastern Europe is NOT under-represented

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Saim, Jun 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lance of Llanwy

Lance of Llanwy King

I would like to point out that I am of purely European descent. I am Scottish, Irish, English, Italian, Swedish, and Austrian. I just try to keep a more worldly view of things. All history belongs to everyone.

In any case, it would be cool to get some reps for South America as it was. Bolivar has always intrigued me, so I'll probably mod 'em in!:)

2. PW90

PW90 Warlord

This is what Wikipedia says about eastern europe

3. LuKo

LuKo The Royal Guard

4. Ishon

Ishon Warlord

Brazil has also almost no history in comparison to Poland, to note. Brazil is nothing but a former European colony. But at least those guys are referred to as Brazilians, in contrast to the Germans in the HRE.

So I would say even that would be a better choice than the HRE. Well, almost everything would.

5. Grimz101

Grimz101 King

Like 'Merica, Seems if your in the top 10 in todays world you should be on the list, since thats the only real reason why America is here :crazyeye:

6. TheLastOne36

TheLastOne36 Deity

You've obviously made your most ignorant post in this forums history.

Poland is Slavic. GERMANY CAN'T REPRESENT US IN ANY WAY! Mainly because they are germanic. We have a completely ddifferent Culture, And the only thing similar between us is, We're Human, We're White and we live on the same planet.

Russia can't ever represent any slavic country other then itself, Ukraine and Belurose and the last to are a stretch to say to. Russia has been Poland's greatest enemy for such a long period of time it's almost impossible to think someone has such an ignorant view of poland.

You my friend are one of the Ignorant people who only learn the american president's in history class as Ishon says.

Your being ignorant again. West and South Slavs repectivly.

7. Ishon

Ishon Warlord

What's more, that "bubble" is not tiny, that space was filled by a major European power which is not represented in Civ. Germany is double-represented.

8. injeKT

injeKT Chieftain

Well, that's it, folks. I've been here at these forums for quite some time (lurking...only recently made an account here) and there is one thing that I've noticed more than anything: Most of the people outside of America are nothing but cantankerous, vindictive, blathering, soapbox standing, jerks.

I can't take this site anymore with people like this CONSTANTLY using a . .. .. .. .ing CIV4 forum for their anti-American . .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ..

I'm out.

9. Mirc

Mirc Not mIRC!!!

Very few people here are anti-American, take a look in the OT. :)

I'm not anti-American at all, and I'm not from America. :cheers: And I like to believe that I'm not a jerk either. :p

10. TheLastOne36

TheLastOne36 Deity

Well maybe because your fellow americans don't know a thing about history outside america and western europe. Heck they actually think charlemagne ruled the HRE.

11. injeKT

injeKT Chieftain

This is why I said "some". Please read my post a little closer next time.

12. injeKT

injeKT Chieftain

Thank you for proving my point. Thank you SO much.

13. NyukXI

NyukXI Warlord

He already explained his logic. While I don't agree with it, it hardly warrants such insults. If someone made an off hand comment about England or France representing Canada because at the height of their colonial expansion they controlled that territory, I think that at best there would be civil disagreement (if disagreement at all). Likewise Poland was split between two Germanic states and a Russia at the height of their respective powers. Russia arguably represents the tatar and mongol populations that fall within it's borders even if they have no Russian identity and don't consider themselves apart of the Russian nation.

Your repeated animosity towards Americans is disturbing.

14. Angst

Angst Rambling and inconsistent

Well, if you are to comment in that way, you might consider why some of us find Americans ignorant in some perspectives. You can look at your own post, declaring the Non-Americans stupid. It is just as unintelligent as the people calling all of the Americans historically incapable.

However, my own opinion says that many Americans are somehow ignorant to the fact that some modern nations have previously been superpowers, and they attemp to take the modern view, as America is a very modern nation. That action is understandable anyways, as the American 'real' history begun in about 1700, and at that time some countries, as Poland, was suffering a major decline. So some Americans considers Poland to be not-so-powerful.

15. Mirc

Mirc Not mIRC!!!

You said most not some. :)

16. injeKT

injeKT Chieftain

By the way...Charlemagne's crowning by Pope Leo III KICKSTARTED the HRE. So, in short: You're the ignorant one.

Note how I didn't lump you and your 'people' all into one big pot and offended them. Maybe it's because I have a modicum of class.

17. injeKT

injeKT Chieftain

Irony, huh? My point remains the same. Nothing has changed.

18. TheLastOne36

TheLastOne36 Deity

You might of not. But many Americans in particular did. (see topic history)

19. Ishon

Ishon Warlord

I don't think it's animosity against the US, this low opinion of the American education system as far as History and Geography are concerned is prevalent in Europe.

Opinions such as "the HRE controlled much of Eastern Europe" sound extremely primitive. Some American guy here confirmed that the historical knowledge among Americans is very poor.

Please distinguish between anti-Americanism (willingness to do harm Americans just because they're American, a strongly negative attitude towards Americans) and low opinion of some aspects of the American education system.

This opinion is really well grounded, I know a lot of people who studies in US high schools and colleges and I've heard amazing stories.

But I also have a lot of American friends and politically I'm pro-American, too (just like most of Poland is).

Please accept this criticism, because it's coming from your friends, not enemies.

I think we could compare the popularity of the idea of adding Charlemagne as a leader of the HRE (= a second Germany in Civ 4) among American and European players, the Americans would generally accept this more often than the Europeans would.

20. Ishon

Ishon Warlord

Injekt, Charlemagne did not rule the HRE. He was crowned as the "Holy Roman Emperor", but he did not lead that project that is in your head when you think "HRE". The HRE that we have in Civ is in fact the First Reich = Germany, and it was formed when Charlemagne was long in a tomb.

Charlemagne was in fact a Frankish king.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.