1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Eastern European Woes

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall: Europe' started by cmakk1012, Mar 20, 2018.

1. cmakk1012

cmakk1012 Chieftain

Two separate strategy conundrums, but both are situated in (North) Eastern Europe

1. How do you acquire enough culture for Lithuania UHV1? It seems like the answer is to go on a massive conquest spree but it’s difficult to know how or where to expand

2. If I’m loading Muscovy starts, what’s the best situation to try to get? Strong or weak Poland, Lithuania, Novgorod?

2. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

I know a little about the first:

It was long ago, but as far as i remember my tactic was that capitol built Infinit bajoras, got some good rng, all other city built pagan and culture, and i spreaded as thin as humanly possible, and then a bit more. So finally i got it. Then build up economy and also i lost some border city afterward. Weak novgorod is a must. But maybe it was before nov/prussia update. Anyway you push mainly south-east to kiev and any city that not foreign is good. Hope it helps.
    Ps: to do it u realy need some luck...

cmakk1012 likes this.
  3. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

It has been a long time since I last played with them. The Lithuanian UP might also need some adjustments.

4. cmakk1012

cmakk1012 Chieftain

I’m going to try Lithuania again and see what I can do. It sounds like the name of the game is rapid, rapid expansion, which fits UHV1 and 2.

On the bright side, I’ve played through most of a Muscovy game—it’s a fun one. Controlling so many cities is a crazy experience, beating up Novgorod and Lithuania (Poland died early) was not too difficult. I vassalized Denmark (peacefully) and Prussia (by war, messed it up by giving them back land because I thought it would still count for the 20 percent). If I trade for Denmark’s Atlantic Access does that work for UHV3?

5. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Thanks!
    For the "Warm waters" UHV you need an Atlantic Access inside your cultural borders.
    It's more about establishing a permanent port than about the access itself. So trading for them isn't enough.

6. cmakk1012

cmakk1012 Chieftain

grumble grumble

Guess I’ll go up against the Ottoman doomstack, then.

This makes me wish for an EU4-style vassal annexation mechanic lol

7. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

Long ago i did it with muscovy, and i went for Istambul as well, since the atlantic coast was way too far and too dense, nor did i have a good costal city to build that much ships. But i doubt that you can do that now. uhv 1 is a close call, and you do need some luck! 20% land is ok, not a big deal, but you are way behind in techs, thats make conquest very harnd/nigh-on in any stage.

8. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

i tried the Lithuanians, and it seems its the same as i did before. here is a save game to see what i mean spread thin, you can check how it happened. and how to improve. so its a strong tr :)

Attached Files:

cmakk1012 likes this.
  9. Osakasayama

Osakasayama In decline

I realized this in the midst of a conquest spree with Lithuania, but can't you just tech / trade for Education and get unlimited Artists out of Apprenticeship?

10. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Sounds like an interesting strategy :)
    Not sure if it's possible in time for the UHV.
    Report back when you finished your game!

11. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

I doubt. Just too many crappy cities, slow growth ect. Also few contact to trade with. Most of the neighbours hostile or holds "your future land". So i find hard to trade at all. As you can see, my strategy works regardless, if yu are pushy and get some luck...
    But yes, pls go on, we are curious how does it works!

12. Swarbs

Swarbs Chieftain

1. Lithuania is just conquest, conquest, conquest. +2:culture: per city and you get +1:culture: for every religion so expand as fast as you can whilst staying stable

2. The key for Muscovy, imo, is a weak or contained Hungary. Novgorod is usually weak enough to be conquered as they lack horses, and Poland and Lithuania can be easily contained. You don't need to conquer beyond Vilnius to get the 20% UHV goal in my experience, just expand all the way north and south.

Hungary is the one that usually sends an SOD as soon as you come into contact with them if they are too strong. If they are behind the Carpathians and not too strong you should be fine, if they have begun conquering Moldova and Ukraine then worry.

13. Osakasayama

Osakasayama In decline

I've already succeeded when I replied on Saturday :hammer2:
    I traded Education from either Hungary or Venice around 1360, and went from ~1000:culture: to >>2000:culture: by 1386.
    Spoiler Screenshot from 1392 :

14. rfcfanatic

rfcfanatic Mercantilist

Lithuanian culture UHV is similar to Burgundy in my experience. Expanding as much as possible and as quickly as possible is the key.