Eastern European Woes

3 suggestions for this
1. Give France an addition settler, archer, and Catholic missionary at start - their first UHV is tremendously difficult, and way to RNG-luck dependent.
2. A lot of civs start with fewer missionaries than settlers - please add missionaries as needed to balance with the number of settlers
3. Please make Silesia potentially Stable for Germany - there's no reason for it not to be, as it was German until 1945
1. Actually the starting army of France was increased multiple times in the last few versions.
I don't think it's hard in it's current form. What everyone else thinks?

2. That's intentional. Religion wasn't that stable/established for most nations at their spawning time.

3. If anything, Silesia is a great example for a contested province.
Between HRE/Bohemia, Poland, Prussia, Austria, and even Hungary (under Matthias Corvinus).
With even some periods/potential for an independent Silesia.

Last edited:
France UHV 1 is not that difficult, i tried like three times and then achieved it even with some years of advantage. It's just a matter of city placement and being a little lucky, however, and after you complete it you have already won :D you can just smash burgundy and germany almost on spawn ( and also genoa and venice), it became soo easier UHV after all the fixing imo.

1. Actually the starting army of France was increased multiple times in the last few versions.

2. That's intentional. Religion wasn't that stable/established for most nations at their spawning time.

Between HRE/Bohemia, Poland, Prussia, Austria, and even Hungary (under Matthias Corvinus).

1. The hard part is that in addition to building up an army to conquer all the land, you also have to defend against a lot of barbarians and build like 4 settlers. Another settler at start would help a lot.

2. Fair enough.

3. Yes, but Germany already has a lot of issues with stability since both Catholicism and Protestantism tend to remain in German cities after the Reformation, no matter what. Also, Warsaw should be a border/outer/contested province for Germany.

I only did France UHV1 a while ago (when it was harder) and it was doable for me.

I disagree about Poland for Germany—the HRE never controlled the heartlands of Poland, nor did it really claim them.

1. The hard part is that in addition to building up an army to conquer all the land, you also have to defend against a lot of barbarians and build like 4 settlers. Another settler at start would help a lot.
Planning which cities to conquer and which to settle really helps here. You have to go for cities that have high production early on. Second city should be a city that can work Iron mines. So going east first is quite obvious.
3. Yes, but Germany already has a lot of issues with stability since both Catholicism and Protestantism tend to remain in German cities after the Reformation, no matter what. Also, Warsaw should be a border/outer/contested province for Germany.
Germany has stability issues? :eek:

I know, right? If anything Germany’s too strong and stable at the moment. Now that I think about it, Hungary too...

Who’s too weak or unstable? Austria, maybe?

Austria seems quite stable to me. Played a game on Viceroy difficulty recently and gained some 120+ stability as Austria. Triple-digit stability is very unusual, even on Viceroy. Late-game Austria can be a very solid growth monster.

Austrian 3rd UHV (highest score in 1780) can be very difficult in its own peculiar way - one can easily "lose" by winning Domination victory. To avoid "losing", I had to hand out my cities to Germany and others and destabilize my vassals (especially Turkey) using spies and privateers so that they would suffer territorial secessions to independents.

Start by founding Paris, Langres (on the wine hill in Champagne) and Aix-la-Chapelle (1N of the wine in Lorraine), all next to the iron resources for max production. Grab Normandy at the start then use your first axemen to defend. Don't rush, you actually have plenty of time, just make sure to leave some troops at home to stop your iron being pillaged to keep the economy up. Fortify axes on the iron hills and they will act as magnets to the barbs, then give them hill promotions so they can defend well.

Once you have enough extra axes take Lyon then Provence. Build a second force and take Nantes and Bordeaux. Once you research to swordsmen switch production to them and the UHV is pretty much done. Send the forces from Provence to take Milan once you are stable. At the last minute grab Barcelona, Ausburg and Tuscany, as they will probably turn you unstable.

You only need additional settlers for Orleans and Saxony, although it is probably easier to build one for Picardy than wait until the city spawns with accompanying crossbows. Settle Saxony in the last few turns to avoid the instability.

Suggestions:
1. Strengthen Colonialism, such as speed up the production of colony or no stablity penalty for Colonalism (or have a wonder for +1 colonal stablity or even can choose to occupy other country colony will be quite funny). Now the Imperalism is too strong.
2. For historical Protestant Country (Denmark, Norway, German, English, Sweden, Prussia) the city should be more willing to change from Catholic to protestant and kick out the catholic. To enhance the stablity of this country. Also the founder of Printing Press should unconditional change ALL the catholic to Protestant It is quite impossible for Portugal to change to Protestant unless they get the wonder of choosing Tolerance.
3. Create some random event, just like DoC. It will be interesting.

Last edited:
Suggestions:
1. Strengthen Colonialism, such as speed up the production of colony or no stablity penalty for Colonalism (or have a wonder for +1 colonal stablity or even can choose to occupy other country colony will be quite funny). Now the Imperalism is too strong.
I find lategame stability to be too easy, especially for smaller colonial nations.
On the other hand, I'm thinking about adding a small production bonus for colonies with the civic, but that feels a little redundant (Portuguese UP for example).

Also, for wonders I already have something related to colonies:
- New wonder: Torre del Oro - +4 culture, chance for a small (2-3 turns) Golden Age on colony completion, +2 GPP (Great Merchant)
2. For historical Protestant Country (Denmark, Norway, German, English, Sweden, Prussia) the city should be more willing to change from Catholic to protestant and kick out the catholic. To enhance the stablity of this country. Also the founder of Printing Press should unconditional change ALL the catholic to Protestant It is quite impossible for Portugal to change to Protestant unless they get the wonder of choosing Tolerance.
Historically protestant countries are already much more willing to change to protestant (and have better chances for religion spread in their cities).
I'm not convinced the founder needs further bonuses. Might be fun for flavour though, especially for the human player.
3. Create some random event, just like DoC. It will be interesting.
I'm going back and forth on random events.
Sometimes I think they are great for an RFC-style mod, other times I don't see enough benefits for adding them.

I find lategame stability to be too easy, especially for smaller colonial nations.
On the other hand, I'm thinking about adding a small production bonus for colonies with the civic, but that feels a little redundant (Portuguese UP for example).

Also, for wonders I already have something related to colonies:
- New wonder: Torre del Oro - +4 culture, chance for a small (2-3 turns) Golden Age on colony completion, +2 GPP (Great Merchant)

Historically protestant countries are already much more willing to change to protestant (and have better chances for religion spread in their cities).
I'm not convinced the founder needs further bonuses. Might be fun for flavour though, especially for the human player.

I'm going back and forth on random events.
Sometimes I think they are great for an RFC-style mod, other times I don't see enough benefits for adding them.

I think it is little bit strange for the Colony cannot be attacked by Other Europe Country. Especially in DOC Netherland have a mission that need to occupy other Europe colony and actually they success to do so in real world (Malay and Cape of Good Hope). So I suggest for example if you can break all the Atlantic route (or even block all the rival ocean territory for more difficulty), you can "re-build" the colony for your own.

I wanted to share this save game. its an 1200AD start, on viceroy! I did all i could to do my best. still cannot catch up on science. any idea what to do????
Yes you can achive your UHV's but thats not the point. I want to be on par with techs.

Attachments

• Ivan IV AD-1596 Turn 348.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1.1 MB · Views: 104
I wanted to share this save game. its an 1200AD start, on viceroy! I did all i could to do my best. still cannot catch up on science. any idea what to do????
Yes you can achive your UHV's but thats not the point. I want to be on par with techs.

I think you should try to capture the city with Wonder??? BTW Russia cannot catch up the science is totally reasonable as what history happened.

First, there are no cities with relevant wonders.
2., its not totally historical, Russia's disadvantage started in later times, not when they start the game.

I belive its mostly due to the big untouched land. You have to cultivate so much land for your cities...like 20% of the map. And you do it alone and with less time available.

Top Bottom