[Vanilla] Easy games are hard enough...

poiuyt

Chieftain
At times I like to play custom games at the Settler level: Gaul, Cree, abundant resources, Legendary start, small continents. Often, what I get is a lousy start, with hardly any room for three cities, scant resources, no rivers, lots and lots of deserts, no natural wonders (ever), and far from the sea. Why? All I want to do is spend a couple of uneventful hours, drink my tea and go to bed.

These kind of games are a meditation of sorts. Even when I'm ahead in the space race and Shaka wants to nuke me, and I have to launch armor across an ocean to stop him. It's no different than Tibetan monks building a Mandala.

So, I'd like to ask, what part of Settler don't they understand, what part of abundant is a mystery to them, what's legendary about tiles with no food or an 8-tile mountain range in your territory?

For Civ 7, there better be a meditation mode.

Lousy starts are SO easy to get on small maps or in crowded environments.
Suggest you go larger, split your game into 2+ evenings.

You could try a mod: Forever peace.

There used to be Always Peace setting in some earlier installments, at least in Civ IV, along with a great many of other possibilities to set up a game to your preferences. It's a shame that FXS lost this kind of knowledge.

Lousy starts are SO easy to get on small maps or in crowded environments.
Suggest you go larger, split your game into 2+ evenings.

Would you consider standard size with 8 civs large enough not to get lousy starts? 'Cos i have done a lot of restarting in these settings aiming for the legendary location I asked of the map generator.
It seems to be harder to get legendary locations after I fully upgraded my base game with all the DLC.
For reference legendary, for me, means at least more than one different luxury resource within the 2nd circle of a city!

Would you consider standard size with 8 civs large enough not to get lousy starts? 'Cos i have done a lot of restarting in these settings aiming for the legendary location I asked of the map generator.

I play on a large map with four civs. I mean for it to be easy, yet have to do restarts and I have to settle for what FXS thinks is balanced.

You could try a mod: Forever peace.

There used to be Always Peace setting in some earlier installments, at least in Civ IV, along with a great many of other possibilities to set up a game to your preferences. It's a shame that FXS lost this kind of knowledge.

War does not bother me as much as the pressures and tensions of normal games, trying to keep ahead of everyone. Lately I can't build the pyramid wonder or the great library. Sometimes I miss the wonder by a single turn. I sense FXS high-hand in this; the FXS that equates misery with balance.

Start locations seem to be very buggy for quite some time. This was being discussed in another thread, but the way the game determines start locations seems quite arcane and seems to give very little actual weight to start biases. Many are expecting one last patch to tidy up the bugs before the game gets shelved so, if we're lucky, maybe the strange starting positions that have plagued the game for over a year now will be fixed in that. Maybe.

I, too, happen playing Settler games, for the sake of being able to build every wonder ever possible. (at least until I win a cultural victory) And you know what ? I've being able to build ALL wonders (again, until I win) only once or twice... Just spawn near stone (Stonehenge) and build Oracle ASAP I suppose...

It seems to be harder to get legendary locations after I fully upgraded my base game with all the DLC.
For reference legendary, for me, means at least more than one different luxury resource within the 2nd circle of a city!

I don't know about legendary specifically, but I feel like any additional Civs or City States in the starting config tends to through the starting locations off (or even more off than they already are).

Legendary start is a weird setting. It just means you'll have a good combo of starting resources specifically at your capital. No impact on nearby settling spots. And everybody gets a legendary start, not just the player. So you could have the worst spot of the top 8 or whatever your map is set for.

I find if I want an easy game, balanced is the better option. You start on an even footing and that "legendary" spot might be where you get to drop your second city. Oftentimes it's the 2nd and third cities that matter because the capital gets a lot of bonuses in its own.

Legendary start is a weird setting. It just means you'll have a good combo of starting resources specifically at your capital. No impact on nearby settling spots. And everybody gets a legendary start, not just the player. So you could have the worst spot of the top 8 or whatever your map is set for.

I think it depends on whether legendary brings more resources to or near the start location without depleting other locations of said resources or not. I don't mind AI getting legendary starts as they will have to manage as I will how and when to explore them. I prioritize selling that extra luxury resource, they go apesh*t for campus...it's balanced:)

I think it depends on whether legendary brings more resources to or near the start location without depleting other locations of said resources or not. I don't mind AI getting legendary starts as they will have to manage as I will how and when to explore them. I prioritize selling that extra luxury resource, they go apesh*t for campus...it's balanced:)
Oh, I use it often too. I just meant if the Op is looking for an easy meditation type game legendary really won't do that.

I've moved away from Legendary start games as I've noticed that often it means city-states will spawn close to natural wonders (and since I rarely war with city-states, that basically removes those wonders from use). As pointed out above, I think balanced generally works better overall.

Tried on one of those "2:1" maps for the first time today, a Standard 2:1 and I got so much space for myself while still having two Civ neighbors nearby. It made the expanding process so much less stressful and more fun as I had more options. Not sure if that is a mod or not, if it is then its Yet (not) Another Maps Pack.

I never pick Legendary. My custom game setup is always mostly everything default except for having Quick Movement+Combat, no time limit and a random start position. I think the complete random aspect of Civ is what makes it more fun.

Top Bottom