"Easy way to stop smoking". Why did it take so long?

Leha

ooseepoosee
First, I hope it is not called promotion or ad or whatever and is not against forum rules. If it is I apologize.

Recently (about two months ago), I've read Allen Carr's book describing the easy way to quit smoking, and I don't smoke cigarettes since then. And never will, I'm positive about that. Also, as I understand, you have chance of 95% to quit smoking after reading this book. (I'm sure it is not a lie as I see my family members, co-workers and friends quit smoking one after another after reading this book)

But there is something strange here. This book exists over 10 years already. It is very cheap if you compare price to modern pharmaceutical inventions for smoke-quitters. It is WAY, WAY more effective.

So....why did it take so long for this book to find readers? Is that possible that tabak industry was trying to prevent it's widespreading?

The Last Conformist said:
It was suppressed by an evil conspiracy of nicotine pad manufacturers.

:lol:

No, I'm not conspiracy paranoid, but think: governments of different countries invest HUGE amounts of money into useless anti-smoking compaigns, into research of nicorette, nico-aid-you-name-it, impose smoking restricting laws, when they just could invest into promotion of this book, save LOTS of money and people lives. It seems amazing revelation to me. :)

I find it most likely because it really doesn't work that well. The 95% could easily come from a biased sample, your family could be a fluke or most likely they just got the book and have sucessfuly quit for a few weeks but will relapse after awhile.

Perfection said:
I find it most likely because it really doesn't work that well. The 95% could easily come from a biased sample, your family could be a fluke or most likely they just got the book and have sucessfuly quit for a few weeks but will relapse after awhile.

:)

I encourege you to type the name of the book in google, read feedbacks and figure success for yourself. You'll see it is actually 100% and for a long time. The only people who fail to quit - those who didn't read book till the end, because they were affraid they'll have to quit after they finish reading.

EDIT: BTW for me example of my brother quitting to smoke was enough of evidence, he was very heavy smoker and his only successfull attempt to quit smoking in the range of 20 years lasted....15 hours.

Leha said:

I encourege you to type the name of the book in google, read feedbacks and figure success for yourself. You'll see it is actually 100% and for a long time. The only people who fail to quit - those who didn't read book till the end, because they were affraid they'll have to quit after they finish reading.
Sure the people might quit, but for how long? Long enough to credit the book with sucess may not mean that they won't relapse.

Leha said:
EDIT: BTW for me example of my brother quitting to smoke was enough of evidence, he was very heavy smoker and his only successfull attempt to quit smoking in the range of 20 years lasted....15 hours.
How long has this attempt lasted?

I have quit smoking last autuum after reading one of Allen Carr´s books. It a really good method and I think everyone can quit smoking with it. But sadly none of the smokers I know, wanted to try it. :(

Perfection said:
Sure the people might quit, but for how long? Long enough to credit the book with sucess may not mean that they won't relapse.

I didn't like to post it, some people could think it is some kind of advertising, but here you can find sucess rate for different method of "quitting" compared to this book. You'll see huge difference.

http://www.theeasywaytostopsmoking.com/success.htm

How long has this attempt lasted?

My brother doesn't smoke three months. Don't laugh please. The thing is - he has no, ABSOLUTELY NO urge to smoke (so am I). And in case of my brother three months is really amasing success.

Syntherio said:
I have quit smoking last autuum after reading one of Allen Carr´s books. It a really good method and I think everyone can quit smoking with it. But sadly none of the smokers I know, wanted to try it. :(

I can say more. I have the guy on my work, who, seeing success of the book, don't want to reed it, because he is afraid to live without smoking.
Isn't this amazing?

Syntherio said:
Do you still have nicotiene cravings?

Leha said:
I didn't like to post it, some people could think it is some kind of advertising, but here you can find sucess rate for different method of "quitting" compared to this book. You'll see huge difference.

This is the kind of data sheet that is easily prone to abuse. There's little statement of sample size, most of these are client anecdotes with limited veracity, and there's tons of oppertunity for cherry-picking (only counting the clients that had good results, neglect all those with bad resuts). I don't trust for-profit self-help books aimed toward the private consumer and corperate market to give good results, especially in the format they give it. Give me independantly conducted medical research by a group that works in this field and I'll believe you.

Leha said:
My brother doesn't smoke three months. Don't laugh please. The thing is - he has no, ABSOLUTELY NO urge to smoke (so am I). And in case of my brother three months is really amasing success.
I am highly doubtful of this.

Perfection said:
I am highly doubtful of this.

Again, read reviews of people who bought this book.The absence of bad feedbacks speaks for itself. Can't provide more info. :)

Edit: when I first was told about this book, I thought "wow, another crook brings people "wonderful cure"". That could be one of the reasons book doesn't spread too fast, too. But you hear about it more and more this days.

Narz said:
Congrats Leha.

Thanks. Actually, I've managed to quit once for one year, but exactly as an author of the book, thoughts of cigarettes and constant tepmtation to smoke one, made this attempt futile from the start.
Now I'm feeling absolutely different. I'm feeling free.

Leha said:
Again, read reviews of people who bought this book.The absence of bad feedbacks speeks for itself.
Just because the company chooses not to post bad feedback on thier website doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Perfection said:
Just because the company chooses not to post bad feedback on thier website doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Hey, Perf, what's the matter with you today? You usually are more composed. :)
I never told "check feedbacks from their website". I posted "check feedbacks"
Try for starters EBay or Amazon, see feedbacks of people who bought this book.
Then there are all kinds of forums where you can find independent feedbacks.

Leha said:

I am not knocking this, it sounds like it is a useful book and I may try it myself.

However, that page is quite aufal. It gives a load of "references" such as "Antidepressants for smoking cessation, Hughes, Stead & Lancaster, 2002" but does not give the full reference (what jornal for instance). That with the fact that so many are so similar indicates that there may be something funny going on. Also it does not give any decent references about its own success rate, just anecdotes.

I guess the thing I find most disturbing is that this sort of pseodoscience actually sells stuff, instead of putting most people off.

Samson said:
I guess the thing I find most disturbing is that this sort of pseodoscience actually sells stuff, instead of putting most people off.

This book is not pseudoscience. :) If you are a smoker and want to quit - give it a try. You will be surprised.

Leha said:
Hey, Perf, what's the matter with you today? You usually are more composed. :)
I'm composed, just skeptical.
Leha said:
I never told "check feedbacks from their website". I posted "check feedbacks"
Try for starters EBay or Amazon, see feedbacks of people who bought this book.
Then there are all kinds of forums where you can find independent feedbacks.
Online reviews are pretty easy to forge. ;)

Perfection said:
I'm composed, just skeptical.
Online reviews are pretty easy to forge. ;)

Oh, come on, you should pay every internet book-store to remove negative feedbacks in that case. Get serious.

Leha said:
Oh, come on, you should pay every internet book-store to remove negative feedbacks in that case. Get serious.
I am serious, I've worked in the online advertising business quite a bit. Such underhanded tactics of creating fake accounts to give bogus reviews is a common practice for unscrupulous sorts.

Perfection said:
I am serious, I've worked in the online advertising business quite a bit. Such underhanded tactics of creating fake accounts to give bogus reviews is a common practice for unscrupulous sorts.

OK, if person isn't impressed by feedbacks over internet (though it is strange, because I'm sure some "nicorette" providers are not less "powerfull" than Allen Carr, and they don't get such feedbacks), all that's left, is give it a try. From my personal experience, it is worth trying. BTW 7 mln copies selled is ALOT, taking into account many people read this book for free on the internet sites. :)

Top Bottom