Ebola - Red Alert in Nigeria

And we're vastly less prepared than we'd like to be. Research in Ebola has been glacial, because it was an unimportant poor African disease. Nothing like Erectile Dysfunction, y'know.

Must admit, my first impression of this headline wasn't optimistic.

Ebola-stricken U.S. aid worker walks into Atlanta hospital for treatment

Holy bait-click Batman!

These two post do not make sense together. Would we not want the ability to study this in a controlled environment?

Monrovia: The bodies of two men previously showing symptoms of Ebola lay in the streets of Monrovia for four days before being collected by health workers on Sunday, residents told Reuters.

"They both gave up and dropped dead on the ground on the street of Clara Town," said resident Nema Red, referring to a district of the Liberian capital.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/world/ebola-v...the-ground-20140804-1002ht.html#ixzz39PM97gJF

Is 4 day old corpses lying on the street normal in Africa ?
Or already to late to contain the out break in Nigera.

Getting rid of the corpse if not done properly, can spread the disease. 4 days may not be long enough. The only way to stop the spread is to quarantine all the affected even the dead bodies. In this case leaving them lie, is probably better than transporting them around where they can spread the disease even more.

These two post do not make sense together. Would we not want the ability to study this in a controlled environment?

Of course we would. That has nothing to do with 'click-baiting'.

"Ebola stricken US aid worker walks into Atlanta hospital for treatment" very intentionally gives the impression that some aid worker came back from Africa and has been wandering around Atlanta for however long infecting God only knows how many people before finally heading on down to the hospital to see why they can't shake this whatever it is. The truth is about as far from the impression given by the headline as it could possibly be while still allowing some lame editor to defensively say 'well it is true, she is an aid worker and she did walk in for treatment'...from an ambulance, wearing a biohazard suit...but that isn't near as exciting.

That struck me as the hospital being to cheap to allow him the use of a stretcher.

"Ebola stricken US aid worker walks into Atlanta hospital for treatment" very intentionally gives the impression that some aid worker came back from Africa and has been wandering around Atlanta for however long infecting God only knows how many people before finally heading on down to the hospital to see why they can't shake this whatever it is. The truth is about as far from the impression given by the headline as it could possibly be while still allowing some lame editor to defensively say 'well it is true, she is an aid worker and she did walk in for treatment'...from an ambulance, wearing a biohazard suit...but that isn't near as exciting.

That's possible. Though for someone who had been following the story, the detail that he walked in seemed to serve more as an indication of his health (he was healthy and strong enough to physically walk) which is click bait in it another, but less baity, way. I'm not certain the headline was meant to give the impression you describe.

I'd say sustained human-to-human epidemic is dangerous, because it gives the virus more time and opportunity to adapt to humans better (it's still primarily an animal virus, of unknown source). If it evolved the ability to spread by droplets through air (as it did at least once in the past, although that particular strain was a monkey virus, not dangerous to humans), then we'd have a serious problem.

Then you'd see an explosive spread from Africa to the rest of the world.

Eh, when diseases adapts to new organisms, they decrease their mortality. Being something with up to 90% mortality rate is just maladaptive.

That's possible. Though for someone who had been following the story, the detail that he walked in seemed to serve more as an indication of his health (he was healthy and strong enough to physically walk) which is click bait in it another, but less baity, way. I'm not certain the headline was meant to give the impression you describe.

You have a higher opinion of editors in general and internet news editors in particular than I do. The headline isn't meant for people who are following the story, they are going to look at it anyway. It's meant to scare half of greater Atlanta into feeding the click count.

Meanwhile, having been only following the 'pandemic' story peripherally since I think calling it a pandemic is gross sensationalism, I mistakenly thought the story was about the other US victim and said 'she'...my apologies.

EVD, real name, no gimmicks *scratch*

Two biologists go round the outside
Guess who's back, back again
Ebola, tell a friend
Guess who's back, guess who's back

We've created a monster, cause nobody wants to die from chol'ra no more
They want 'Bola, hemorrhagic
Well if you want 'Bola, this is what I'll give ya
A little bit of pain mixed with some vomiting
Some nausea that'll get you emitting
Then a trip when I get trapped at the hospital
By the doctor when I'm in hypotension
When he's hooking up the IV it gives me tension (hey!)
You waited this long, now pay attention
Cause it's true, you got 'Bola and apprehension
I know that you got a job, Tom Frieden
But your patient's throat problem's proceedin'
So the CDC won't let him be
Or let him be he, so let me see
They try to shut it down in east Guinea
But they're not sick without me
So, let's stay in bed, help stop the spread
F*** that, much faster spread, and some near your head
And get ready, cause this s***'s about to go trauma
I'm now coming for the US; thanks, Obama!

Now this looks like a bad disease
So everybody, just start to weeze
Cause we need a few more, Senegalese
Cause it's just so deadly, if you sneeze
I said this looks like a bad disease
So everybody, just start to weeze
Cause we need a few more, Senegalese
Cause it's just so deadly, if you sneeze.

We could all move to Toledo and drink the tap water.

Humans are not the only problem in nature. They just seem to be the worse at trying to control it.

Eh, when diseases adapts to new organisms, they decrease their mortality. Being something with up to 90% mortality rate is just maladaptive.

Close, evolving to be more benign in a host organism is adaptive. Evolving to infect a species is pure win, even with giant mortality rates. There will always be a push to become more benign, but infectivity is a strong factor.

Mount Sinai Hospital in New York City Tests Patient for Ebola

A man who recently returned from West Africa with symptoms consistent with the Ebola virus is being tested for the disease in New York City, where he was admitted to a hospital early on Monday morning, officials said.

A blood sample was being sent Monday to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta, where it will take 24 to 48 hours to determine if he has the disease, officials said.

The man presented at Mount Sinai Hospital with a high fever and gastrointestinal problems, officials said. Authorities wouldn't identify the man or the country he had been to and the reasons for his visit.

Officials said the man was isolated from the rest of the hospital within seven minutes after he entered.

A hospital spokeswoman said: "All necessary steps are being taken to ensure the safety of all patients, visitors and staff."

Ebola is spread through close contact with bodily fluids, not casual contacts, officials said.

Good thing I'm leaving the east coast.

But aren't there a lot of hemorrhagic fevers found in that part of the world? I mean, it make sense to take the precautions regardless, and I get there is an (is it at epidemic levels there yet) epidemic over there, but probably shouldn't assume Ebola right off the bat.

But aren't there a lot of hemorrhagic fevers found in that part of the world? I mean, it make sense to take the precautions regardless, and I get there is an (is it at epidemic levels there yet) epidemic over there, but probably shouldn't assume Ebola right off the bat.

Yes. And for the most part, they are only distinguishable from one another in the lab.

Top Bottom