Economic Superpower Strategy

European

Warlord
This Strategy in order to be useful must or should be applied as a "Commercial" civilization preferably with a "Industrious" trait as well.

The Best for this would be:
*Romans
*French

Performed on Emperor Level,

START:

Plant a City, hestitate from bulding early granaries,
Max out your scientific output and shot for "Literature"

Your capital depending on your starting location (you decide whereas is best.) should be able to pull off a fair amount of 1-3 settlers, then leave it as it is with the worker doing ~3 irigations around the city in favorable places (Grasslands, Floodplains, etc.) leave Bonus Grasslands unirigated unless you have ONLY bonus grasslands around your capital,

Hence, change your capital to build somewhat costy thing (The Best you aquired.)

START the appeasement strategy, unfortunately you will have to give the AI everything he asks, let him pass your teritory, also it would be best if you'd make a right of passage agreement, or give him a loan, to be sure of peace.

Meanwhile your second city should start massing workers, send a few to your capital and mine the rest of the free tiles around it.

DO NOT Trade any of your Research! Althou the AI may offer very interesting goods for your research, dont, just dont!

When you finally get "Literature", change the production of your capital to the great library, thanks to the early mines, you will be most certain you will be able to get it first.

Now the same turn you get Literature slide your Research to 0% and your hapiness to 20%, now you will start earning heavy gold, and in addon your hapiness will work for production.

If the computer already researched it, switch to Republic!

After the Great Library is built, you will receive all improvements up to "Education", Education will render Great Library Obsolete, by the time this happens you should have Marketplace in basicly every city you control, dont fall for the trick that some city dont spawn enough commerce, thanks to the marketplace you will receive a hapiness bonus flowing from your luxuries.

When "Education" comes your Economy should be the best among the other players, you can start arming and drop the appeasement strategy, but a few turns you should have a handful of troops.

Go for early cavalry,
DO NOT SLIDE YOUR RESEARCH UP!

Your enormous economy should be able to hold the issue of research, buy and steal technologies from other players.

That may hold you a bit backwards if you havent placed the time to rise your economy enough, however you will be able to build a massive army.

As soon as you hit Democracy, revolt and change the Goverment,

Also try and buy banking from the computer as soon as possible, and install the bank in 30%-80% of the towns that prosper best, most often it means they re the closest to the capital.

The % depends upon the map size and your country size

Continue playing as programmed, now everything is up to you!
Thats just a basic strategy.

This should be used Regent-Emperor
Every higher level may result in your loss of Great Library and fall of the plan, and lower building economy.

Also at Warlord and Chieftain, Science is by far more interesting the economy, since you easily attain advances.

That would be all, as soon as il have the time i'l upload some screens from the actual use of this strategy on Emperor Level.

Cheers!

I don't know about this strategy. It does work, but I wonder if it is worth sacrificing one's early expansion. After all, the capital is rendered useless during the whole time it is building the Great Library. Additionally, since the second city was forced to maintain the first by building all those workers, few if any towns are left to help expand your empire.

Exactly! How do you become an economic superpower with only a handful of towns? Those towns may earn a lot individually, but four times the towns earning a third each nets you far more.

Yesterday i earned an Emperor Level victory using this strategy on a Huge Map 30 players, 80% landmass.

I was earning 620 gpt

Your thinking is logic however incorrect, your expansion isnt limited, the rest of your towns will do the expansion, and 2nd town massing workers, capital build great library, you can get a large empire this way if you think it of properly, and get to rush settlers with the rest of your towns.

And as far as research goes, at industrial age i was 2nd in Science, having Motorized Transportation up to Rocketry, while the computer player was lurking around with spearmans (EMPEROR LEVEL), after the appleasement strategy i used "ScrewYourself" tactic:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=266015
, and in about 10 turns i were able to conquer whole Germany, Persia, Scandinavia, which had more then 10 towns each, and i at this point had Knights, and were in republic.

European, I am sure the strategy works, but have you compared it to a game where you do NOT use your strategy? What if NOT using the strategy nets better results, i.e. an earlier win date or higher score?

Using scientific achievements i was able to play max "Monarch", obviously this strategy allowed me to do an easy hop to "Emperor", and i already have a few "Demi-God" victories.

I doubt i would do it without my strategies.

I am wondering why you do not trade your early techs? I am just not sure how that affects the final result.

I am not questioning your strategy's effectiveness; just curious about how this part plays into it overall.

I think I may just give this one a try. I usually beeline for Republic and this would only be one quick jaunt to the side... :hmm:

one more thing... I don't understand why appeasement is necessary to this working.

I am wondering why you do not trade your early techs? I am just not sure how that affects the final result.

I am not questioning your strategy's effectiveness; just curious about how this part plays into it overall.

I think I may just give this one a try. I usually beeline for Republic and this would only be one quick jaunt to the side... :hmm:

one more thing... I don't understand why appeasement is necessary to this working.

1st Question answer:

Your going to Alphabet-->Writing-->Literature, why would u give those to the computer, you want to see him building the great library first?

Why would you give any advantage to the computer early on, for giving him other tech, you would rush him getting tech's, and this way making your "Economic Golden Age" last shorter.

And why would u buy any techs from him if your going to receive them anyway from the great library?

2nd Question answer:
In Republic 1 additional unit over the limit costs 2 gpt, and the limit is SHORT.
So you shouldnt buy units early just not loose any gold which you can later use to buy techs and invest in economic building?

Why appeasement?
C'mon you dont want your ass getting wipped by the AI in the first turns..

Expansion is only limited a bit by about 2-3 towns tops, because you wont be able to pop up settlers from ur capital but the rest is fine.

Also you can afford units, even much more then in monarchy or despotism, but i for example would rather mass the money and build up economic infrastructure before doing at.

Perhaps I wasn't clear. Whenever I build up a surplus of cash, the AI always seems to show up demanding it. Thus, I tend to use excess gold to finance either deficit research or more troops. Stockpiling gold seems to be an important part of this strategy and would seem to be at odds with the OP's statement that you should give the AI whatever it wants. If it demands all your gold, which path do you take? Appeasement or refusal?

That all depends on who is demanding the gold. If they are weaker then me or if they are a not so aggressive civ, such as India, I will refuse their demands. OTOH if they are stronger or more aggressive, such as the Mongols, I will be much more apt to give in to the demands. It all depends on the civ and their position.

On emperor, if I sop expanding after 2 or 3 extra cities, I will most definitely be weaker than anyone else!

Except for the "stockpiling gold" part, this looks like a basic non-violent 5CC exercise. But certainly not a generally viable strategy that it appears to pretend to be.

You're better off just researching at 0% and capturing the great library IMO. It won't hinder your expansion and you won't have to waste the 300 sheilds on building it. 300 sheild equals 10 Swordsman. More then enough to take down just about any capital on Emporer or lower.

Such GL strategies basically work. The AI, provided you have RoPs generally doesn't demand much gold. If you beeline for literature, on at least some sized maps, you can build the GL on *any* level. Drakan wrote a Deity-builder strategy which used something like this. SirPleb's epic Iroquois game (something like #5 or #4 in the HoF) used the GL like this on Sid level, except he beelined for philosophy and then took literature as his free tech. Then he gave the GL away right before he got Education, then captured it later so he could get even more easy tech.

Top Bottom