Economic Victory - something to think about it

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by fcpureza, Oct 13, 2016.

1. fcpureza

fcpureza Chieftain

Hello, guys!

Since CIV 6 is changing a lot in terms of diplomacy and amenities, one thing that occurred to me is that maybe it could be developed a new type of victory. The ECONOMIC VICTORY.

The idea is quite simple. To achieve this victory, a civilization should monopolize at least 5 different luxury resources in the game. It's not about having gold or lending money to your rivals. It's about the control of a specific commodity, therefore creating tensions all over the planet.

In late game, you'll soon see you and your rivals competing for resources. But that's only to have some military strenght. It's not crucial if you're aiming for a cultural victory, or a religious one for that matter.

However, if you or the rivals are looking for this ECONOMIC VICTORY, racing for resources could change everything. Settling cities, trade agreements, wars...they could all make the difference in late game, specially after you discover caravels and navigation.

Monopolizing a resource, however, shouldn't be understood as a complete control. It could be something like 'control of 75% of a luxury resource around the world'. And every time you have a monopoly, you get some bonus amenities - while, to make things interesting, it would create a negative bonus in rival civilizations. Therefore, it would be possible to try this monopolies in mid-game, but players would engage in wars and diplomatic affairs to avoid them. The only thing that I worry here is about balance, since a monopoly could create a lot of heat for a player.

Anyway, that's just a suggestion and that it could spice things up in late game. Hope this will be considered in a probable expansion of Civ 6.

2. Sonereal

Sonereal ♫We got the guillotine♫ Supporter

I can't remember exactly, but I believe there was a mod that added monopoly mechanics to the game which gave you empire-wide bonuses if you controlled a majority of a resource.

I'm not really in love with economic victories in 4x games like Civilization or Endless Legend. An economic victory as you're proposing is basically a modified conquest victory, while an economic victory in EL is just accrue as much dust as possible.

I think economic domination should be the springboard to a victory, like domination or space, not a victory in and of itself. That's just my two cents, and I am probably a minority here.

3. fickle

fickle Chieftain

SMAC had a economic victory, it was a little extreme, and gold based (basically the spy mechanic let you "buy" a city, and for this victory you had to have enough gold to buy EVERY city) and it was enjoyable once in a while.

Bringing it back, or creating a new type of economic victory such as what your suggesting would certainly be interesting but it does bring into play some questions that arise from more recent games, such as in CIV 5 many people can somewhat easily get a strong enough economy in a game to buy literally everything. All the city states, buildings, units, ect. Perhaps not on deity, but it can be done.

Of course civ 6 has already shown a few areas where it could be even more interesting. Perhaps a economic victory that used things from each tree to make it viable-maybe even require the spread to win this way-(sci/culture/faith/mil) A few key techs like banking, a culture boost to increase revenue, religious tithes, and a plunder happy military could all combine into a pretty penny.

4. fcpureza

fcpureza Chieftain

Nice ideas! I hope that these could be developed!

Sonereal: Yes, I suppose that a conquering victory is similar to what I purpose. But more than military expansion, the main focus for players around navigation age would be searching for resources and settling new cities (which would act like colonies, installed mainly for monopoly purposes). So, to get monopolies would be so important that players would have to effort themselves to get they for a economic victory or at least be aware to stop your enemies to get it.

ficlke: I loved your idea that economic victory would be linked to some techs. For example, there should be a tech that would allow the players to create "trade companies", something connected to techs like banking, for instance. Or, in other hand, that pirate ships could 'disturb' enemies monopoly, decreasing its bonus (something that spies could also do). And religion could play a part on it (for instance, if you get monopoly on incense, it would boost religious building bonus). In late game, for instance, you could also use "Imperialism casus belli" against a enemy which has a resource that you lack to achieve monopoly.

The 'trade company' idea would also be a plus here. It would be something close to "religion", where after being created (needing a monopoly to do so), you would develop a policy for it. For exemple, my "French Tea Company" would get a policy called "bullionism", where I'd get a money bonus on all tiles where I produce tea. Or maybe my "British Tobacco Company" could get a policy called "fisiocracy", where farm districts around tobacco plantations would get a production bonus. And so on. :)