economical civ

ncwarrior

Ruler of my room
i've been able to achieve domination culture and techonolgy victories but the economy victory almost seems impossible
can you tell me which civ is very usefull if you wish to achieve a economic victory and what kind of strategy should i use?

Hi,
There are a few different Civs that are strong in economy, but one civ that I like to use and that is very fun to try out winning an econimic victory with is the Japanese. Simply put, you should build your city on mainland a stronghold and large city, then build all your other cities on small islands by putting settlers on ships. I typically put the first free settler on a ship and then build one new settler in all the new cities until I have about 5-10 cities depending on how many good locations I find. Switch the majority, if not all, cities to gold production.

The logic is as follows. On small islands you have many sea squares and they produce trade. The Japanese, get food from sea squares even before they have a harbor which make their cities grow even without any land squares. Finally, small islands are easy to defend and rarely attacked so you can focus on growth and gold instead of war/defence.

It is crucial though that you build your capital strong with alot of defence and culture to expand your borders in that area, otherwise you will be flooded by AI enemies. Another crucial part of this strategy is to be very active in diplomacy to buy your techs instead of researching them.

Here is a link to a very interesting thread discussing this topic. I hope you enjoy this playstyle because it is actually lots of fun.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=287242

Hi,
There are a few different Civs that are strong in economy, but one civ that I like to use and that is very fun to try out winning an econimic victory with is the Japanese. Simply put, you should build your city on mainland a stronghold and large city, then build all your other cities on small islands by putting settlers on ships. I typically put the first free settler on a ship and then build one new settler in all the new cities until I have about 5-10 cities depending on how many good locations I find. Switch the majority, if not all, cities to gold production.

The logic is as follows. On small islands you have many sea squares and they produce trade. The Japanese, get food from sea squares even before they have a harbor which make their cities grow even without any land squares. Finally, small islands are easy to defend and rarely attacked so you can focus on growth and gold instead of war/defence.

It is crucial though that you build your capital strong with alot of defence and culture to expand your borders in that area, otherwise you will be flooded by AI enemies. Another crucial part of this strategy is to be very active in diplomacy to buy your techs instead of researching them.

Here is a link to a very interesting thread discussing this topic. I hope you enjoy this playstyle because it is actually lots of fun.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=287242

hmm i'm more a guy who prefers to play on the mainland but i'll try it out sometime
and the link you gave me is a good one and an exciting and fun way to play the game but i think it's not good for an economic victory since you spend a lot of money but thanks anyway for your help

can someone give me some other extra tips please?

I think that the Zulu are the best economic victory winners. +1 warrior movement gives them a nice head start to snatching the barb huts and collected some cash. If you are lucky you could even get currency milestone just from the barb hut bonuses. And then there is rapid city growth wich makes the Zulu very powerful altogether. Settel cities by lots of plains and rush graneries, it pais off with the Zulu. Plain cities blossom by the time of the Medieval age and by then you should have currency and rush some markets in these cities.
You should have your capital be your only science city and the rest should be plain/gold city. All of your plain cities should be up in population and thus have good commerce.
The East Indian Trading Company is the key to an economic victory. It makes the very common sea tiles into the equivalent of a rare ugraded desert tile.
Then they get+50% gold wich obviously is the best economic trait.
Finally, half-cost rifelmen. A little late in the game to get, but powerful because this is a major point in the game were defence is very important. Other civs will begin to surpass you in tech so it is important to have an adequate defence system going. And this helps when the AI's dogpile you for beginning to build the world bank.

I think that the Zulu are the best economic victory winners. +1 warrior movement gives them a nice head start to snatching the barb huts and collected some cash. If you are lucky you could even get currency milestone just from the barb hut bonuses. And then there is rapid city growth wich makes the Zulu very powerful altogether. Settel cities by lots of plains and rush graneries, it pais off with the Zulu. Plain cities blossom by the time of the Medieval age and by then you should have currency and rush some markets in these cities.
You should have your capital be your only science city and the rest should be plain/gold city. All of your plain cities should be up in population and thus have good commerce.
The East Indian Trading Company is the key to an economic victory. It makes the very common sea tiles into the equivalent of a rare ugraded desert tile.
Then they get+50% gold wich obviously is the best economic trait.
Finally, half-cost rifelmen. A little late in the game to get, but powerful because this is a major point in the game were defence is very important. Other civs will begin to surpass you in tech so it is important to have an adequate defence system going. And this helps when the AI's dogpile you for beginning to build the world bank.

yeah I was already thinking of using the Zulu so I'm definetly going to try this strategy
you know what I'm going to play it right now :D

if there are people with more tips and/or ideas just bring 'em in

America is a strong economic civilization.

I also find Russia strong in any type of victory. Use your defense and food bonuses to turtle inside of your cities and produce gold without having to spend.

I would not realy classify america as an economic civilization. Half-cost rushing means taht it is primarly a military civilization. +2% intrest helps you amash the gold to rush huge armies with low production. And with the factories provide times three prodcution you can use both producton and gold to create your armies, but gold would still be better because banks are cheaper 180 with market vs. 200 and provide times four gold which is the equvilent of production for American units but is more versitle. Both production and gold ciites will prosper with military as the Americans. America makes gold the most powerful resource in the game and it would be pointless to gather it for an economic victory instead of using it for its full potential.

If you have the DS or unpatched version, then the fastest econ civs are Romans and Chinese, if you can perfect the megacity strategy. MasterPoker on GameFAQS claims to win by 300 AD; my best is around 900-1100 AD. Aztecs third, but more consistent and less dependent on megacity. I can win by 1100 AD with Aztecs, but no sooner. Other civs are not as quick, somewhere around 1300 AD at best, but probably closer to 1800 AD.

All those bonuses for half price units are redundant. When you're making 2000 - 3000 a turn, paying full price for units is not an issue.

The key to fast econ win are the Wonders, particularly Trade Fair and Colossus. That's why Romans have a huge advantage: they start with Republic to get the settler rush to megacity strategy working immediately, and they get any wonder they need. Other useful wonders are Hanging Gardens and East India.

Aztecs may not seem fast for econ, but autohealing after combat saves you a lot of hammers in the long run. Thus you can concentrate on buildings and wonders that get you the econ victory.

Spanish or Zulu.

Build alot of cities early. Around 10-15. Have atleast 5 cities on islands with whales, fish and dye. Have one primary goldcity with first market-bank-colossus, trade fair in it. settle an explorer here too if you get one. Have a few markets in 4-5 other cities on goldproduction. Get East india company as fast as you can. Try find one city wich gives you alot of hammers early. For example 2 oak forests. Save up hammers in this city and as soon you get 20 000 gold you switch your hammers to world bank and finnish the wonder.

Should be doable in best cases around 500 AD but around 1000-1200 AD more likely.

Tips: Only have your trade on sciense first. Switch to gold in your first goldcity when you research currency. And yes. don't save up 250 gold so you get this tech free. And this because if you instead research it first you get a free market in your goldcity and a caravan (only 80 beakers for currency)

After reaching industrial you get the 50% goldproduction. you should now be in democracy so now you can switch to goldproductin in atleast 3 cities. But you still need alot of sciense so you can get industrialisation and coporation first to get 10 gold/turn in each city bonus.

After coporation you can put a few more cities on goldproduction. Depending on how your game develops the internetwonder is great. But usualy can take some time before you can build it. (need Networking to build it)

*cheers*

Aztecs may not seem fast for econ, but autohealing after combat saves you a lot of hammers in the long run. Thus you can concentrate on buildings and wonders that get you the econ victory.

Yea I agree - You can stick less units in a place to defend somewhere - you then get more time to concentrate on building buildings. Temples for the added Science benifit is cool along with culture. Markets and banks. The 50% gold thing in the later years is great - makes economic win easier.

Everybody is strong for economic victory.

Find a spot with lots of desert and plains and a couple of sea tiles. Don't hit 250 gold, whatever you do! Research currency and you will probably wind up with a free market in that city. Switch to gold. You'll be getting to 250 fast now to get the banking tech. When you can, buy a bank in this city. You'll double your cash each turn. Buy the Fair of Troyes.

When you get a great humanitarian, put it in that city to make it grow even faster. When you get an industrialist, settle him in the city for 50% gold. Build a granary for the plains, a trading post for the extra 2 gold on desert squares (free upgrade if you get to code of laws first) and a harbor. Try to get the East India Company as well for an extra gold on sea squares.

This strategy works great when you go for other victories as well. One super gold city and focus the rest on science.

If you don't get this super gold city, there is another good strategy. If you happen to have a very productive city, you can set it to build caravans as well. Build one and press Y. Look if there is a city which would generate a lot of cash (especially those that can only be reached by boat). If there is, form trains (like caravan armies). Form a lot of trains (about 20), load them all onto a battleship fleet and move the fleet to that city. Unload and you can get to 20000 gold in one single turn.

Top Bottom