Economics Modcomp discussion

Okay, well worst case I can make the icons. I just hate making icons. I've got the techs done, minus the icons and quotes, and am working on the Free Trade Agreement diplomacy option, which will only be available if you play with both Advanced Economy and Advanced Diplomacy gameoptions. Then onto Civics.

I suggest you wait a little. Just like you hate making icons, I bet there are people who love it. Vincentz, for instance, makes some great ones. Maybe he can help us...

Insurance

You don't need to pray to God any more when there are storms in the sky, but you do have to be insured. - Bertolt Brecht

Stock Exchange

Every once in a while, the market does something so stupid it takes your breath away. - Jim Cramer

The average man doesn’t wish to be told that it is a bull or a bear market. What he desires is to be told specifically which particular stock to buy or sell. He wants to get something for nothing. He does not wish to work. He doesn’t even wish to have to think. - Jesse Livermore

Stock market bubbles don't grow out of thin air. They have a solid basis in reality, but reality as distorted by a misconception. - George Soros

Derivatives

There are challenges in terms of the measurement of VAR for what are known as nonlinear derivatives, where things like gamma and vega are important dimensions of the risk. - John Hull

Welfare State

“Welfare is hated by those who administer it, mistrusted by those who pay for it and held in contempt by those who receive it.” - Peter C. Goldmark Jr.

Other than easier espionage and allowing trade routes, what else should the Free Trade Agreement do?

Edit, thanks for the quotes, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Other than easier espionage and allowing trade routes, what else should the Free Trade Agreement do?

Faster spread of domestic corporations from either country into the other.

Good Point. I'll add that.

Hmm, I just had another idea. How about instead of a flat faster spread, domestic corporations from either side are subsidize in the other. Also make it so that the AI doesn't sign it as freely as it'll sign Rights of Passage and Open Borders?

And we're on!!! :)

I'm very happy with 1.74 and the Advanced Economy Gameoption, derived from this thread. But I think some people didn't read it and don't know what it is. Afforess, could you please give us a changelog explaining what from the OP you did code, and what you didn't? :goodjob:

And we're on!!! :)

I'm very happy with 1.74 and the Advanced Economy Gameoption, derived from this thread. But I think some people didn't read it and don't know what it is. Afforess, could you please give us a changelog explaining what from the OP you did code, and what you didn't? :goodjob:
I would greatly appreciate a changelog!

Okay, well worst case I can make the icons. I just hate making icons. I've got the techs done, minus the icons and quotes, and am working on the Free Trade Agreement diplomacy option, which will only be available if you play with both Advanced Economy and Advanced Diplomacy gameoptions. Then onto Civics.

BTW, don't you also love making icons? :lol:

Well, since there are no buttons yet, I could begin work on some. Why let vincentz have all the fun?

Finished with making the buttons. I also made some new buttons for RoM content since they had redundant buttons; if you do not want to make an improved art option for AND, just send them Zap's way.

Here is a list of the buttons in the .zip file:
*Techs:
Insurance
Stock Market
Derivatives
*Buildings:
Advanced Quality Control
Cannon Forge
Computer Network
Knight Stable
Deep Space Research Institute
National Courier Service
Space Labratory
Temple of Isis
Temple of Osiris
Temple of Set
Adam Smith Trading Company
Edison's Workshop
Einstein's Labratory
Leonardo's Workshop
Plato's Academy
Silicon Valley
*Projects:
Hubble Space Telescope

Finally, in reference to the Improved Economics option, Insurance does not need the Trade tech since it requires Currency, and Currency requires Trade.

Attachments

• Buttons.zip
    42.3 KB · Views: 147
So wait, what is the English's new UB?

Afforess didn't apply every change suggestion given here, so the Stock Exchange situation remains the same.

Re-reading this topic, I realized I never gave thanks to @generalstaff for his button designs. Thx man!

In the late game I would like to see something like an exchange implemented. Instead of directly trading you could elect to join the global exchange. It would work by selecting which resources and how many of each to place on the "block". Civs could then place a bid to buy the resource for x turns. The prices would naturaly fluctuate with the available amounts of each resource and I could see sub uses for this such as a private weapon exchange amoung a group of friendly civs.

As for inflation, which is purely a self made problem because we no longer base our currencies on hard metals. As for what was mentioned above about the gold brought back from the new world causing inflation, that was more to do with corruption than anything else as the King's could of just stashed the gold away in a duck tails style vault and nothing would of happened.

CivFanCCS said:
As for inflation, which is purely a self made problem because we no longer base our currencies on hard metals. As for what was mentioned above about the gold brought back from the new world causing inflation, that was more to do with corruption than anything else as the King's could of just stashed the gold away in a duck tails style vault and nothing would of happened.

Methinks you need to read up on economics more. Slow inflation (1-2%/year) is ideal. Metal currencies can have rapid boom bust cycles simply because the supply changes from new metal deposits. Inflation encourages people to spend money rather than hoard it, since money loses value over time. Spending money expands the economy, etc etc etc...

Top Bottom