1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Economy Mod

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Modpacks' started by Valkrionn, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Valkrionn

Valkrionn The Hamster King

I'll have to check it out. It uses the same setup as the Monastery does for Dye; I was under the impression that it was per tile as well.

2. darkedone02

darkedone02 The Suggestor

hey, once you got finished with the Idle Process, can you release it as a mod component? That what I tried to do once it got finished but I ran into problems and asked you for help.

3. Spendoza

Spendoza Chieftain

can anybody link me to ArgentumStudio's Resource Display? i'm having trouble isolating just that component of this mod
    thanks

4. kaltorak

kaltorak Emperor

I'm back from a trip and happy to see we got v2 of this mod, which I was using and likeing a lot.

Everything looks great. But I'm a bit worried about the resource changes. I like to stay close to the real version, not really looking for a complete rework of the game. But the game has several flaws that make it boring, and this mod was improving them. I hated worthless resources, and was happy about the improved yield. But turning them into limited resources to use for different things may be a bit too much of a change.

Also, I like to do great cities in nice positions when I find resources for it. But with this change, the resources won't make that city good, they will be an overal benefit, for any city. If I understood correctly how they work.

Haven't tried it yet because I'm at work tho.

5. faithkills

faithkills Chieftain

Yeah I wasn't waiting long enough. But it doesn't take this long in the vanilla version. I am guessing he has raised the wait time for the mouseover?

6. ArgentumStudios

ArgentumStudios Warlord

7. Spendoza

Spendoza Chieftain

thanks, friend.. i don't know why i had such trouble locating it but ah well

back to work! :)

edit: "This file is in the moderation queue"... Que?
    i got it off the mod browser i still cant believe i couldn't find it earlier, i might be ********

8. Valkrionn

The yield boosts were simply too strong for me, as well as uninteresting. I may end up changing it so you have to have the bonus near the city (and remove the stacking), but for now I like the method used.

9. Spendoza

Spendoza Chieftain

ok here's another one:
    what is the best method for merging mod files?
    atm i'm putting the original and the new one side by side and searching for differences and then editing the original to include the changes.
    rather tedious and im sure it'll get my laughed at but something tells me there is a better way

10. Valkrionn

use a program called WinMerge, it allows you to load two files and picks out all the differences for you.

Granted, some files that causes problems with (due to spacing changes; Usually, changing all groups of 4 spaces to a tab using replace all will remove that issue), but for the most part... FAR simpler than doing it by eye. ;)

11. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

I am still not getting the building queue when I use this mod. I even removed all other mods and cleared the cache still no queues. Yes using the latest version ie v2. Is there a way I can use the mod without the UI changes? I.e. if I delete all the UI lua files will I still be able to play with this mod?

12. Valkrionn

What exactly do you mean when you say you aren't getting the queue?

13. Spendoza

Spendoza Chieftain

thanks valk! what you lack in knowledge (if there is anything lol) you more than make up for in helpfulness

14. isthmus

isthmus Warlord

Think you're referring to the change in the way the queue works in v2.

That said, I think there's a small problem with it at the mo. It doesn't seem to be active when you try and change production by clicking the production circle on the city bars, nor is it active when you're prompted to build something from the city..If that makes sense. :p

It's only active when you go into the city screen, and then "change production". Is this intended? It's a bit long-winded, and the latter two are the main ways I alter production in my cities.

v2 is great btw, valk! :goodjob: I'm really enjoying the resource changes, as it stands I'm actually in favour of keeping it at 1 resource supplied per bonus, it makes you think more about where the buildings go and puts higher value on enemy lands which contain bonus resources.

15. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

You are right, I have been so sick the last few days that I forgot this change, when I went back in.

Now if I could only figure out why units wont cross the 180 degree longitude unless I force them!

16. Valkrionn

That's what I thought he meant, but wanted to make sure. :lol:

And no, it's not active in the popups. Intended; When I removed that, it was to make it close correctly without needing you to hit the close button. I may revisit it, but I promise nothing. :lol:

Glad you're liking it. ;)

I've never seen that issue.

17. Archwizard

Archwizard Chieftain

I have a question on the "Next Great Person" display in the info bar.
    In the bar it says: Progress towards next Great Merchant 419/1200 (+3) (261 Turn(s)) (Corinth)

However, in Athens (My Capital) my Great Merchant progress is 184/1200 (+22) which is 46.2 turns away. Obviously, it's choosing to display the GM with the most accumulated GPP, not the one that'll actually pop next. Is it possible to get that "fixed" so that it displays which GP in that category will actually be next?

18. Valkrionn

I hadn't actually looked at it, assumed it was pulling the one that would come next, not just the one with the highest points. I'll look into fixing it.

19. Thalassicus

Thalassicus Bytes and Nibblers

The Monastery tooltip was very confusingly worded, especially since it works differently from yield boosting buildings! If you have the Unofficial Patch (v6 or higher) installed or a mod that includes it like this excellent Economy Mod, the tooltip is clarified:

For each type of resource it gets a bonus, not for each instance of any type. This is probably because culture is scarcer and more powerful in some ways than normal yields. Hopefully this helps reduce ambiguity. :)

Like Valkrionn said, if you enjoy the Economy Mod's superbly-done approach to resources, use it instead of Balance - Terrain Improvements. These overlap and are simply different ways of approaching a mutual feeling about the game, that resources and improvements could use a little spicing up. I believe the other balance mods are compatible with Economy Mod. :)

(Just make sure you're not using any outdated versions, the old ones stuck due to ModBuddy's crash bug preventing access to them. :()

20. Valkrionn

Hmm. Should have read your text changes more carefully then. :lol: That's a little disappointing about the culture. :p

And most of your changes may work, but I would avoid the Gradual Research mod; It would stack with what is already in the Economy Mod. ;)