1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Economy Mod

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Modpacks' started by Valkrionn, Sep 29, 2010.

1. notque

notque Artificially Intelligent

Whenever I run the Economy mod, after I settle my first city the control section for a unit on the bottom left hand side disappears and never returns.

I then can't heal, fortify, automate, or anything else. I have to use keyboard controls. Is this intentional? Is anyone else experiencing this?

I get it with only Economy mod activated.

EDIT: Found the answer

"A few people have that issue; Can be fixed by A) Changing the resolution of the game, or B) Deleting UnitPanel.lua and UnitPanel_small.xml from My Games/Civ5/Mods/Economy Mod/UI/InGame/WorldView."

2. Thalassicus

Thalassicus Bytes and Nibblers

Right, that too! I'd forgotten since that one's in the earlier-changes spoiler. :)

You know, do you remember back at Civ IV's release when there were a lot of mods out changing research speed? I even remember a GUI tool someone made to allow easy alteration to each era's tech progress. Then the devs eventually slowed research somewhat in the core game, I think in Warlords... it's interesting there seems to be similar feelings this time around too.

I think having buildings for various resources adds a lot of flavor to the game, they're very well thought-out and I look forward to seeing what direction the art design goes in. Art is something I love but I'm not very good at digital tools, mostly working in charcoal or graphite media.

I agree the method you settled on of having these resource buildings globally available to a nation is better than requiring those resources to be within city limits. It provides for more decision-making opportunities of where to build them, and increasing player choice is the same goal I've been working towards as well. If too many buildings have the local requirement, it can get stifling... and there's already quite a few local buildings in midgame. Great work! :)

3. Archwizard

Archwizard Chieftain

Thanks for the clarification. Since the monastery is not the only building with ambiguous/misleading wording, I can't say I'm too surprised.

Oh and re: a later post (I forgot to multi-quote), I totally agree that the civ-wide use of limited bonus resources to build buildings is superior to limiting it to within city-radius. I enjoy the added flexibility of focusing the cities how I want through those buildings.

4. Valkrionn

Valkrionn The Hamster King

Yeah. Unfortunately, I am unable to run the game at that resolution (I'm on a laptop, here, and 1366x768 is the best I can run), and haven't had time to try to find someone I can work with to test fixes. There was some work done testing it by Lord_Alderaan, and it IS isolated to those two files; So it's some kind of resolution error occuring with the new XP display.

I actually can't speak for that. :lol: When I bought Civ4, BtS was already out. And I bought BtS specifically for Fall from Heaven, which has also been the full extent of my modding activity until now. :p

And once we get DLL access... Well, Eden will command the bulk of my time, rather than vanilla Civ5. Even if I am enjoying it far more than vanilla Civ4. ;)

Glad to hear you like them. ;) Yeah, I'm going to try and get some icons in soonish, but it's not something I'm great at either. Will probably just recycle Civ4 icons, frankly. I used to have some skills, with sketching and sculpting... But I haven't really done much there since I was... 13-14? At least 8 years ago. :lol:

And that's pretty much my reasoning for not having them all require resources nearby (Weaver does, but it has 4 possibilities, at least). You can use the resource in the city actually harvesting it... Or you can culturebomb a tile and use it to build in your core cities. More choice, more strategy in what you do.

The issue with text is one of my largest complaints about Civ5, though it's not one you see voiced often. I absolutely, positively despise the lack of a decent textparser. In Civ4, you have the vast majority of tags automatically place descriptive text in the pedia/on the building/etc. You do not have to worry about it being accurate (aside from when you add a new tag, of course, or change functionality... But at that level, it's extremely easy to do :p), you do not have to remember to make the text, it's all done for you. In Civ5... There isn't a text parser, not really. The majority of tags do not output any display whatsoever, meaning everything (EVERYTHING) must be displayed via help text. Which is beneficial sometimes (You can really simply things; An example would be Opera's Venice civ. Their trait grants a culture boost to all resources, doing that via a parser would display all the resources. With help text, you can put in a short phrase that carries all necessary content for you), but is far more often problematic. An example would be when something is changed, and someone forgets to update the text... Suddenly it says one thing, and does another. NOT a good thing.

5. azzedar

azzedar Warlord

first, great job, wonderful additions, playing with it activated all the time ;)

dunno whether this has been asked before (actually have been playing civ5 since the release now, with trying several mids via the browser not looking here for some time...) but... :

1:are there any plans to add something similiar to the leatherworker for later eras? for gunpowder units or even tanks? (sth. like reactive armor for example?), which leads us to question 2...

2:are there any plans to add new resources?

6. Valkrionn

To both, I can answer simply: Not yet.

If I do anything like armor for later units, I'd probably make use of Iron, so you have a lategame use for it.

New resources won't come unless I have art for them, honestly.

7. notque

notque Artificially Intelligent

I can test on higher resolutions. I use the highest. I'll try to see if I can merge the two together, and see the changes, and find if something makes sense to attempt to fix.

Removing those two files did correct the issue.

8. Spendoza

Spendoza Chieftain

so i macguyvered together the mods and the new buildings are the shiz
    can't wait till there's some proper artwork..
    is it difficult? my wife is an amazing artist, i bet her and i could put something together...

9. Valkrionn

Which mods were you combining?

And no, not really hard. Just takes some artistic skill which I pretty much lack. :lol:

There are even templates in the SDK download.

10. Spendoza

Spendoza Chieftain

oh i've got a super mega custom UI/economy mod (almost every UI component has at least 1 tweak on it :lol:) its very frankenstien
    i got the resource display and the buildings from yours as well as a few sections of code that helped with my tweaks
    i'm trying to improve my high school IT coding skills which are almost 10 years out of date :lol:

the sdk download frightens and confuses me. is the nexus section the one i want? which button is for building icons? or better yet, is there a tut?

edit: i know it's been brought up before, but is it possible to make the buildings hidden completely until you have the associated resource? or is that the kind of thing that has to wait until more code is released...?

11. Thunderhit

Thunderhit Chieftain

I installed the mod and made a new game. I see the new buildings in the list of the city, but if I hover the mouse over a tile with a resource, it doesn't show the tile information like "Without forest: xxx" does it show this only when you select a worker?

12. aguds

aguds Warlord

Good job, keep it up :) I like this mod, I can actually produce an army before it's obsolete now.
    But workshops maybe can be buffed? It's still more viable to put trade posts in most situations instead of a workshop.

13. Spendoza

Spendoza Chieftain

@Thunderhit - You have to be able to make said improvement. You probably hadn't researched Mining yet, correct?

14. housea

housea Chieftain

firstly, congrats on this most cool mod.:)

however, it doesnt seem to work with the auto-strategic view changer when ending turns mod. would be great if this could be incorporated. the latter mod saves waiting for truns immensely, esp near end game.

Thanks a mill :)

15. WarKirby

WarKirby Arty person

Valkrionn <3

Great to see you modding Civ V.

And big thanks for making this available as a seperate download. I can't seem to get the mod browser working since I'm running on linux. I can't use most mods because of this.

16. WarKirby

WarKirby Arty person

Oy, what is this Eden thing? o.o
    Working on a TC mod? I'd be interested!

17. Valkrionn

IIRC you must be able to actually complete the build order. Research mining.

Workshop may end up removed, actually... We'll see. ;)

I don't even know that mod exists, so I'll look at it. :p

Glad to see you again. :goodjob:

Well, we aren't working on it yet; No DLL access. A few weeks/months at least.

:mischief: Make some icons for me and I'll tell you about it. :mischief:

:lol:

18. Afforess

Afforess The White Wizard

5 Guesses as to who would be the modder to create a super-useful, minimod, and not mention it.

Okay I lied. You only get 1 guess. ;)

19. Valkrionn

20. Afforess

Afforess The White Wizard