1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Economy Mod

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Modpacks' started by Valkrionn, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Valkrionn

Valkrionn The Hamster King

As a way of explaining my relative silence lately... Been involved working on some things.

A small taste (this is finished, but not publicly available):

2. Valkrionn

And yet another new mechanic... :p

I'll be making these available soon, as separate downloads (they contain lua, but are completely modular and do not affect InGame.xml. I'll have to post a separate version of the latest mod for EconomyMod, however, as it modifies TopPanel.lua for display purposes).

What is it this time? Dark Ages. ;)

3. GfxJG

GfxJG Warlord

I find there is one major issue here. When the mod is active, the bar where you pick the actions for your units is gone. So unless I just missed something to make it appear, this is a problem.

EDIT: 'Nother problem. When you click the "Choose Production" button, it doesn't work. Neither does it in the City Screen. I'm kind of assuming that the Research is the same.

EDIT #2: Ok, Research works, but Production doesn't.

4. Lord Alderaan

Lord Alderaan Chieftain

GfxJG, both problems have been handled extensively in the thread.

Production: use ctrl or shift while clicking items to add them to the queue.
    Unit panel: Use latest eco mod and/or reduce resolution.

@Valkrionn: The happiness mod is gonna be a optional/seperate too? I don't think I'd want those changes. Excess resources are supposed to be traded, ok the AI is broked in the last firaxis patch and now doesn't want to do any even remotely fair trade but that isn't an issue I'd solve through this eco mod.

5. Valkrionn

Update to the latest version of Civ5 (either run steam in 'online mode' or tell it to update if you toggled no automatic updates).

The happiness mod is separate as well. However, trading is still very much encouraged, and the AI in the version I'm operating on (built for the test version ;)) will trade resources fairly (net advantage for net advantage).

Keep in mind: The current system, you only want to trade excess if you can get a new resource in return, regardless of my changes, unless you are selling it. And with my changes, you move from a case of +0:) for +5:), to a case of +0.5:) for 3:). Still a net gain, still very much encouraged.

6. Lord Alderaan

Lord Alderaan Chieftain

Great!

The reason is that imho* excess luxery resources should be pretty much** totally useless except for trading against other luxery resources.

I remember that the idea is that resources are a bit regional. So for instance I might have 4 Ivory but no Incense, Wine or Dyes. While another civ has 4 Incense, another 4 Wine, etc.

Perfect situation of a peacefull nation would be me trading my excess 3 Ivory with three different civs and thus getting 3 different resources in return. And this way the other civs get a resource they didn't have yet.

Of course right now it doesn't work that way, but that would be the goal I'd strife for when picking (or creating) mods that adjust luxery resources mechanics.

* ie I think it's more fun
    ** Except for their tile bonus

7. GfxJG

GfxJG Warlord

I really couldn't be bothered to look through 30+ pages. But thanks.

8. Valkrionn

Ah, but you see, that's a large part of why I made the change. Now, before you can trade, you actually have a use for your excess luxuries... But once you are able to trade them, there is NO reason not to.

Going back to your example: That 3 extra Ivory would grant +1.5 :), which rounds down to 1 (not sure why, 1.75 rounds up. 1.5 rounding down is odd to me. :p). But once you can trade them away... Trade one for spice: -0, +3. Net gain of 3. Trade one for silk. -1, +3. Net gain of 2. Trade one for gold. -0, +3. Net gain of 3.

Trading is still very much encouraged, now you just have a use for the extra. ;)

9. guczy

guczy Warlord

Are you planning to change the bazaar in your happy mod? Cause if you don't Arabia could be really OP as every bazaar will be up to 15 happy extra if i understand correctly

10. Valkrionn

Possibly. It gives extra copies of resources near the city, though, not just of resources you have, so it may not really need a change

11. Aussie_Lurker

Aussie_Lurker Deity

Just a thought as to how to improve resources (not just luxuries). What if multiple copies of the same resource gave you a slight boost to your yields & commerces? So, for example, each unit of Marble you have gives a +0.5 boost (per city) to production & a +0.25 (per city) boost to culture. Each unit of gold you have might give you a +0.5 boost to gold (obviously) & +0.25 boost to culture. There would obviously have to be some cut off (like +3 or something), to encourage some trade in surpluses, but this-along with the ideas you're suggesting Valk, would definitely increase the importance of having multiple copies of the same resource within their boundaries-as well as increasing the importance of obtaining multiple copies of the same resource via trade or war.

Aussie.

12. Valkrionn

Possible consideration for a mod, yeah. The important thing to remember here though: These two mods, and Dale's ICS Killer mod, are not simply mods. They are more or less ideas that the testers have all agreed should be implemented, done as mods so we can test them and attempt to get the devs to implement in the core game.

There's one more mod coming from me that will consist of emigration/revolution, and then I will release all three to the public.

13. sirroman

sirroman Chieftain

So we shouldn't wait any update until you are finished with all three mods? Damn! that's quite sad. =/

Actually I have a suggestion/idea for a mod: what about implementing some peacetime use for strategic resources? Right now you just trade 5 horses to an IA that has another 30 horses for some pieces of gold. Specially if you have a few city-states by your side.

I imagine maybe a very local increase of commerce/production and it would reflect the civilian use of those strategic resources.

Maybe make it something that you have to activate so that we can throw in some drawbacks? Like, if you buy some unit then you would be "confiscating" the resource, so you would get some unhappiness or a decrease of trading or have to pay more...

Just throwing some wild cards, maybe you can make some good out of it. lol

14. XplorR

XplorR Chieftain

Another suggestion is using 3 or 4 horse resources for a Race Track improvement that either adds gold or happiness, maybe both, for the city it's built in.

15. Baleur

Baleur Prince

:eek::eek: Imagine, Uranium -1 happiness...

16. sirroman

sirroman Chieftain

But it's not like we (the people) know how much uranium our country have.

It makes more sense to add a -1 happiness to nuclear plants after a meltdown.

By the way, I REALLY want some random events in this game... =/

17. DonMarty

DonMarty Chieftain

Dark Ages v1

You should stay in the dark age until your empire is happy.
    Stop the dark age when the golden age meter reach -499.

18. Valkrionn

That would make them essentially eternal.

A Dark Age is a period of anarchy, which means you generate NO gold, NO science, NO production. You also cannot spend culture on policies (though you still earn it). Not sure if you can buy things or not.... But even if you can, you cannot generate gold, so if you don't already have the gold for happy buildings (in which case you should not be in a Dark Age), you'll be absolutely hosed.

In short: That would be a very bad implementation given the penalty. And I cannot use a different penalty, as we're pretty limited with what effects we can have.

19. gruven

gruven Chieftain

Random events v7

20. DonMarty

DonMarty Chieftain

Dark age should generate food, gold and production but no science and no culture.

i was hoping that it was possible to do in lua.