Ed Beach PC Gamer Interview

Looking forward to the late game stuff. As is, there's not nearly enough to do in the late game. That said, I still enjoy the late game, and sometimes I disable victory options like cultural because me or the AI tends to get them too early. I want to experience the full game. Even science comes too early sometimes. Like my last game had a pretty cool epic Naval war. I definitely want to see more of that in the future with perhaps more naval units.

Dang! :)
PC GAMER rated the game at 4.8 stars out of 5!

PC GAMER has always had a tradition of scoring all of the Civilization games fairly higher than most PC titles.

I remember when Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri came out, wasn't really into it at the time but did notice PC GAMER magazine rated it 99%!
No other PC title was ever rated that high. If you peeked the screen shots, the game looks underwhelming but if you play, it's a completely different experience.

You'll find yourself at a quarter to three in the morning wanting to complete just... one... more... turn...!:lol:

I wonder what that "all-new" territory is supposed to be though. :p

They always talk about how each game is 30% old stuff, 30% redesigned stuff, and 30% new stuff. I presume that would fall into the last category. A whole heck of a lot of Civ VI vanilla falls into the second category.

Maybe civ6 could extend the game more into the future like Call to Power did? Of course, the game would need to make it interesting but I think it would be cool to play around with future tech ideas instead of just having "future tech" at the end.

Ed Beach gives a PC Gamer Interview teasing what Year 2 of Civ VI will bring.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/sid-meiers...ongress-diplomacy-alternate-leaders-expansion

I guess this isn't the full interview. The full interview will debut next week.

But he does talk about overhauling the late game and diplomacy and alt-leaders.
Oh god, I did not recognize you with that new pic !

As you said, probably world congress return, new leaders and a late game focus (plus that new territory thing).

Interesting in that he makes it sound like a lot of the design is still up in the air. Though that could just him being non-commital for the interview. And the interview could've also happened a few months ago for that matter.

Interesting in that he makes it sound like a lot of the design is still up in the air. Though that could just him being non-commital for the interview. And the interview could've also happened a few months ago for that matter.

There should be more out next week. But I don't expect him to layout any grand designs for the expansion in detail or anything. I just want to see if he confirms my suspicion that there won't be anymore DLC between now and the expansion (which seems to be all but confirmed, based on this article).

Features could still change so Ed is probably just being cautious not to over promise.

Check back with PCGamesN next week for a full write-up of our interview with Ed Beach, in which we go into more depth on the above, and touch on modding, multiplayer, and expanding Civ VI into all-new territory for the series.

Hopefully they'll do their job and ask him about the continuing presense of easily-fixable bugs, the glaring omission of basic QOL features, and the appalling state of the AI.

Hopefully they'll do their job and ask him about the continuing presense of easily-fixable bugs, the glaring omission of basic QOL features, and the appalling state of the AI.

The last patch didn't load for you?

Maybe civ6 could extend the game more into the future like Call to Power did? Of course, the game would need to make it interesting but I think it would be cool to play around with future tech ideas instead of just having "future tech" at the end.

I can dream. I didn't care for CTP, but future stuff could be cool if done right. Though they'd have to make it either a separate option or separate type of game since the normal victory conditions come so early. I'd be interested in seeing this as long as it's not Giant Death Robot again or Xcom squad, I hated those units.

Check back with PCGamesN next week for a full write-up of our interview with Ed Beach, in which we go into more depth on the above, and touch on modding, multiplayer, and expanding Civ VI into all-new territory for the series.

How's that their job?

Interesting that he confirms that multiple leaders are mostly a thing that is meant as an opportunity for the modding community, don't think I've officially read that before. It does make a lot of sense though.

How's that their job?
Asking some tough questions is what makes such interviews interesting. If it's just an outlet for free promotion, then they could just copy-paste a press release.

Interesting that he confirms that multiple leaders are mostly a thing that is meant as an opportunity for the modding community, don't think I've officially read that before. It does make a lot of sense though.

They talked about the UA/LUA split as being beneficial for modders during E3 last year, which implied that alt-leaders were possible for modding. It wasn't until Gorgo was officially announced close to release that it was confirmed that Firaxis would produce any official alt-leaders.

There should be more out next week. But I don't expect him to layout any grand designs for the expansion in detail or anything. I just want to see if he confirms my suspicion that there won't be anymore DLC between now and the expansion (which seems to be all but confirmed, based on this article).

Yeah something about the phrase "like we put out this year" doesn't seem promising from a DLC perspective.

They talked about the UA/LUA split as being beneficial for modders during E3 last year, which implied that alt-leaders were possible for modding. It wasn't until Gorgo was officially announced close to release that it was confirmed that Firaxis would produce any official alt-leaders.

I feel it's more like they're not going to release a DLC with just an alt-leader, since it's about the same work for them to do that as to release a new civ, yet most people would complain that they're only getting "half a civ" in it. However, I do expect in each expansion, they'll add a few official alt-leaders, since there you're buying the whole, not just a single civ and they can still market it as "9 new civs and leaders" without specifying that it's actually 6 new civs + 3 alt leaders, or whatever the ration turns out to be.

Otherwise, agreed that the late game needs a boost. Heck, even just a tier-4 building that's a modern/atomic/info era building for each district would go a long way to giving you stuff to do late in the game.

Ed Beach said:
But those types of global interactions between leaders, and leaders getting together and anlaysing: 'oh my goodness, something needs to be done', or 'oh, we need to come to an agreement'

The way he words it makes it sound like any potential World Congress won't be a regular occurrence. Rather, it sounds like a potential World Congress feature will involve a mechanic by which a majority (or significant minority) of Civs will have to call for a World Congress, perhaps set on a specific issue. Speculating even further, this could mean that there could be more localized world congresses, that involve and bind to the decision only the participating Civs. Of course, this could all be wildly wrong. However, it is a massive general theory based off of one sentence posted in a CivFanatics thread - when has that ever lead us astray?

Top Bottom