1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Ed hinting at more South American civs

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by JtW, May 28, 2016.

1. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

Gurkhas and Sherpas would be a lot of fun. I'd love to see a Nepalese Civ. :D

Anyway, nice touch as it would be, it will never happen because it would destroy the art budget.

2. Westwall

Westwall Emperor

Civ is their flagship title, next to XCOM.

If there was ever anything they should be sparing no expense on, it's this series.

3. Thormodr

Well, I share your sentiment about that. :D

Hopefully the game will justify the price tag. :)

4. Westwall

Westwall Emperor

Well returning to the thread topic, I'm starting to suspect the addition of more South American civs will probably mean fewer Asian civs. I'm not expecting to see Siam, Indonesia and Korea in the vanilla product for example.

5. JtW

JtW Prince

You're probably right. Given that Civ6 starts with more systems from Civ5, the expansions will be a little less important this time around and I suspect they will be selling more civ DLC.

6. Luckystrike77

Luckystrike77 Prince

I agree, I don't like playing barbarians that never came out of the stoneage in Civ. Not proper to call them Civilisations.

Olmecs, Incas, Maya and Aztecs are OK, but please no rainforest stoneage tribes.

7. Ikael

Ikael King

I also loved Civilization 3 leaders / backgrounds evolving trought time. It made for some really cool "alternate history" scenarios, such as Babylon's hanging gardens skycrappers or Native Americans passing the test of time. As for the accusations of wearing suit and tie of being "western-centric", our modern world is, indeed, western centric. As some people have suggested, making leaders wear your civ's clothes due to cultural assimilation / victory would make for some truthly awesome flavour.

8. GenyaArikado

GenyaArikado Judge of Love

From a rl standpoint it would be western centric. From an in-universe explanation it would just mean that the main civilization invented suits and ties

9. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

Who says being a CS excludes a Civ?

Perhaps they make a nice long list of notable cities, and exclude any of them that are significant parts of any civs in that game.

It would be fun to have CS allies New York, Athens, and Madrid.. while fighting off the massive Hebrew and Italian empires

After all, a CS only has to have a Name and type

10. ldvhl

ldvhl ніщо

Except that allows you to metagame. If you encounter New York (to use your example) as a CS, then you know you won't be coming up against America as an opponent.

11. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

Just like if the Huns found some cities you can know your neighbors.

I think that is a problem, but not too much of one depending on
    1. how many CS possibilities there are (the more there are the less chance of you getting any particular one)

2. how many civs there are (the more there are the less important it is to know

#1 in particular is increased by this possibility (what if ALL cities from all city lists of Civs not in the game were possible CSs)
    And that would be a possible toggle (nonpresent Civ cities as random CS)

12. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

In Civ V and its expansions we were able to successfully deduce which potential civs were not included by observing the new city-states.
    Ideally, we should be able to make similar deductions with Civ VI, but they could have changed things up on us by using the major cities of non-present civs as city-states.

We can't say for sure yet, but the presence of La Venta as a religious city-state tends to indicate that we can use the same deductive reasoning as before.

13. ldvhl

ldvhl ніщо

Agreed. I think we can confirm that the Olmec are out unless we hear something otherwise.

14. Thormodr

Hopefully the city graphics for La Venta will have some Olmec colossal heads. That would be a nice touch. :)

15. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

I agree its likely, but if they really want to keep a civ secret (particularly expansion civs which can be noted for the CSs they removed) they could implement that mechanic

16. Karmah

Karmah Emperor Supporter

colombia with pablo escobar as a leader !

17. Westwall

Westwall Emperor

They still have to be "civilizations" and I don't think hunter-gatherer tribes really qualify.

We have those in the game already and they're called barbarians.

18. poom3619

poom3619 Ping Pang Poom!

While I do think Firaxis won't do that. It would be really nice touch. It could make City-state actually unique, at least graphically.

19. TrailblazingScot

TrailblazingScot I was kittenOFchaos

If cities on other continents could break away or be given independence (giving "mother country" bonuses and reducing unhappiness) then there would be a mechanism for new civilizations e.g. Canada / Australia / Brazil / Argentina to arise.

I am uncomfortable with civilizations such as Brazil starting in 4000 B.C. Brazil arose from Portuguese colonization, African slavery and mixing with the indigenous population.

20. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

Eh. EVERY civilization came from a previous one, yaknow?