1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Edit out or tone down Global Warming

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Scoottr, Feb 27, 2010.

1. Scoottr

Scoottr Prince

Ok, willing to give this another try. Last go around I screwed up my Civ IV so bad It took 2 weeks to get things all working again.

I know there is the Globalxx.xml file (that is not its real name).

But when opened the file last time, with notepad cause the instructions didn't specify anything else, and made the change from 20 to 2 and saved the file again as Notepad I the XML failure of death.

So...anyone got a step by step with screen shots way of doing this? I mean really step by step..I don't venture into XML and even installing mods can be a challenge for me!

If anyone is up to the task I'd really appreciate it!

2. davelisowski

davelisowski Spartan

back up your files before making any changes.

Copy it and save it somewhere else. You can even change the name to something else to remind you that it is a backup of the original file.
    e.g.
    Globalxx.xml

copied to a new folder-> Globalxx.xml.bak
    or Globalxx-original.xml

that way if something goes wrong, you just have to move that file back to replace the messed up one. Obviously, you'll have to change the name back to Globalxx.xml

As for the specifics of what you want to accomplish, I have no idea. But I have enough sense to save copies of files before modding them.

3. mechaerik

mechaerik Tuturuu!

Or better yet, NEVER EDIT THE ORIGINAL FILES. Make a mod.

4. naterator

naterator Bravely running away

1.Copy the globaldefines from the "Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Assets\XML" folder into the "My Games\Beyond the Sword\CustomAssets\xml" folder.

2.Edit the new copy you just made, open in notepad and search for GLOBAL_WARMING_PROB

3.Change this:

Code:
    	<Define>
    		<DefineName>GLOBAL_WARMING_PROB</DefineName>
    		<iDefineIntVal>20</iDefineIntVal>
    	</Define>
    to this:

Code:
    	<Define>
    		<DefineName>GLOBAL_WARMING_PROB</DefineName>
    		<iDefineIntVal>0</iDefineIntVal>
    	</Define>
    Step 1 and 2 prevent you from having to reinstall if something goes wrong. Everything in the customAssets folder overrides the original, so if it screws the game up, just delete the custom assets copy and start over.

5. davelisowski

davelisowski Spartan

^much better said than i^

but yeah, never change the originals... always make a backup first.

6. Scoottr

Scoottr Prince

My Games\Beyond the Sword\CustomAssets\xml is a folder that only contains other folders...do you just drop this file there or should it be going inside one of these folders?

I assume it is re-saved as a Wordpad document too.

7. zyphyr

zyphyr Prince

The directory structure in Custom Assets is the same as in the main Assets. The files should go in the corresponding folders.

If the original file was in Assets\xml\Units, then the altered copy should be in CustomAssets\xml\Units, etc.

8. Scoottr

Scoottr Prince

K, but in the Friaxis folder side of things there is a bunch of free floating .xml files, when I look at the same folder on the Customer Assest side of things there is not .xml files outside of the folders.

9. zyphyr

zyphyr Prince

Everything under Custom Assets goes in the same spot as it would have been under Assets, so the files directly inside Assets go directly inside Custom Assets.