1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

editing unit capabilities/adding units

Discussion in 'Civ2 - General Discussions' started by hoonak, Nov 14, 2005.

1. hoonak

hoonak Keeper of Odd Knowledge

I want to add an additional engineering unit to the game, something faster to speed up end-game engineering functions. I have edited rules.txt to add the unit, but the unit does not get the "transform" option. Is there a way to add an extra unit with that function? Secondary question- If I increase the movement rate of engineers, will that increase the speed at which they work on projects like terraforming?

2. ElephantU

ElephantU Deity

The experts with those answers are in the Scenario Creation forum, both here and at Apolyton.net.

3. Catfish

Catfish Emperor

In versions MGE or less, only a unit in slot 2 can possess engineering abilities, so you're stuck with just the one. In ToT, any unit with the settler role can be given engineering abilities. This is done by editing column G of the @UNITS_ADVANCED table in rules.txt.

No.

4. hoonak

hoonak Keeper of Odd Knowledge

Thanks to both-
    ElephantU: point taken.
    Wobbegong: snazzy answer. thanks.

5. Ren

Ren Communist Nazi

I'm pretty sure you can edit the time taken to change terrain on each terrain type (IE for each terrain type, you can change which terrain the "o" function changes it to and how many turns it takes).

6. ElephantU

ElephantU Deity

I think that's one of the first group of variables in RULES.TXT.

7. Catfish

Catfish Emperor

I suppose if he wanted to change the transform rate (under @COSMIC), and rates for irrigation and mining (under @TERRAIN) in the late-game he could swap rules files at some point – a bit ungainly though.

8. Woodswallow

Woodswallow Chieftain

Stacking engineering units will speed up the work rate; by stacking enough of the critters I've been able to turn a mountain into a molehill in the space of one turn. In Civ II Classic I think the engineers are the only ones able to Transform things without tweaking the basic programming. I'm new to this place so I don't know enough about the newer versions of Civ II. Oh yeah, PS I've created a dredge unit for my single player games;
    great for reclaiming land from the ocean.