1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

EEN News!

Discussion in 'Team Epsilon' started by General_W, Nov 17, 2006.

1. General_W

General_W Councilor & Merlot Noble

EEN News!

So – after all the newspapers in the last MTDG, and now with Aloha beating us to the punch on the first International Newspaper… I decided it was time Epsilon upped the ante on international news!

So – rather than make a newspaper (oldschool) I've decided to try my hand at a tv news broadcast!

Now, this still needs a little work. Mostly, I need some help with the reporter voices.
    Right now, I had to do all the voices myself (except for Upso Hei – My wife did her best "perky reporter" voice for that one) – so it sounds pretty lame.
    I need help from the glorious Epsilon Team! If you've got the ability to record your voice on the PC (I just used the nasty windows sound recorder program that came bundled with my windows XP) – then I need you to audition for the job of one of these reporters!

Specifically, I need someone to voice the role of Fan Cpants, and General Ledger.

But eventually, I'll need someone to voice RunFa Ulife and maybe some other reporters we could introduce. I'm also willing to let someone else do Qin Guy Jin or if one of you guys has a ladyfriend that would like to take a stab at Upso Hei – my wife is mortified by hearing her voice on this thing and would be happy to be replaced.

The scripts are in spoilers here, so please take a moment this weekend to audition by reading the script into your computer, and then e-mailing me the file in *.wav or *.mp3 file format (mail to: joshua.v.tucker AT gmail.com)

Feel free to read for 1 or more characters!

Spoiler Script Spoilers :

Fan: Thanks Qin (pronounced Kin). That's right, new and disturbing questions are being asked of the Great Oracle. It wasn't so very long ago that the Oracle was regarding as all knowing and infallible. But since that time, the Oracle has failed to offer warnings about several brutal barbarian attacks. Leaving some grieving mothers to question WHAT the Oracle knew, and WHEN it was that she did or did know it. Did she know and simply fail to warn us? Is it possible the great Oracle is NOT allknowing? Or is something more sinister afoot? We go indepth in search of answer – tonight at 11.
    Back to you Qin.

Upso: It’s truly beautiful Qin! Whether day or night, the solar and lunar lights project remarkable patterns that locals believe carry both religious and scientific significance. I’ve had the privilege of participating in a number of their… er… ceremonies… and I can tell you… it’s quite the deal. Back to you Qin.

General: Well Kin, the Great Lighthouse of Piffle projects a great beam of light out to sea no matter how dark or stormy it is. While the exact methodology for accomplishing this is unknown, the result, however, is very well known. Trade by sea is increased in dramatic fashion. Like moths drawn inexorably to their flaming death by the light of a candle, so too, are ships and sailors drawn to the light of the Lighthouse. But instead of meeting a fiery end to their brief lives, great piles of gold are made. So all in all, I’d say the sailors get a better deal, albeit less entertaining.
    Back to you Kin.

After I get the other 2 voices I need, I'll update the video, and we can post this in the UN.

Here's the video as it stands now, so you can get into character! ;)
    (please excuse my terrible voice acting, it's just a placeholder)

Hope you enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YC6rvJXz9HQ

2. lost_civantares

lost_civantares [Insert Title]

That's Great General_W, very cool! :goodjob:

3. General_W

Thanks lost_Civ!

So... you volunteering to do a voice? :mischief:

(I'm also taking comments on how to make the videos better / future news story ideas / encouragement to forget the videos and just go back to newspapers )

4. lost_civantares

Unfortunatly what little audio equipment I have isn't working, so that would be a no go. :(

Also I don't know how possible it is but it'd be cool if you could loop the animation of stuff like the Great Lighthouse background from the wonder movie.

5. Memphus

Memphus Deity

Wow I just got watch the video (I read about it at work) but wow that is Fantastic!!!

I say release that as soon as possible

with the disclaimer that although Aloha know about calendar, paper and printing press epsilon team is movie on to Mass media!!

6. General_W

:lol: - thanks Memphus! Glad you enjoyed it.

I'd rather wait to release it till I get some other voices for the reporters. I'm rather embarrassed by my pitiful attempt at voice acting! :blush:

You want to record the voice for someone dear President? ;)

P.S. I do like the Mass Media comment... will have to include that in the grand unveiling!

7. gbno1fan

gbno1fan Emperor

I don't know what everyone else thinks, but my ears could barely tell it was the same voice.

Excellent video, as always, GW.

One issue - do we want to unveil the name of our city to those that don't have it already?

8. General_W

Thanks GB!
    I don't think we have anything to lose by revealing our Capital name. As soon as anyone meets us, they will know the name of our capital anyway - the location is the only thing that is even possible to keep secret.

I'm glad you liked the voices... but think how fun it would be if YOU were the voice behind one of Epsilon Team's world famous reporters! At the end of the game, (or whenever) we can reveal who provided which voice... it's your chance to be involved in MTDG history!!

9. Kylearan

Kylearan compound eye

Hi,

that video is fantastic! :goodjob: And I also think your voice acting is very nice General, no other people needed. ;)

(No, I won't do any voice recording, as my German accent probably sounds horrible... :lol: )

Those who'd like to do some recording might consider using Audacity. It's a free audio recording tool, is very easy to use, and can help you in cleaning up the recording, adding effects, adding or removing pauses, removing noise etc... I use it for my podcast production, and it's a real help. :)

-Kylearan

10. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

That is funny, but your attemps at voices are bad. You attempted to do a British Accent, but it started to go back to American. I would do a voice had I had some recording equipment to do it on. I was watching this and my mum wondered what I was watching. :lol:

11. kojimanard

kojimanard Warlord

Wow, very impressive work. Many nice touches, such as the stock prices, traffic and barbarians, music and introduction. I understand your wife's feelings about her voice, but I think she does a realistic sounding reporter. (I'd be honored to be a part of this project, but, alas, I don't have the necessary audio stuff.) :goodjob:

12. lost_civantares

Kylearan, a German accent might be just the touch! :)

For me it's not the software that's the main problem, but the microphone.

13. peter grimes

peter grimes ...

I think any accent that people have (American, Australian, Dutch Portugese, German, am i forgetting anyone??? - oh yeah! Canadian :lol:) is a bonus.

I will be more than happy to help, once my sweet new laptop shows up! Yes, I finally bought one, but it's on backorder. I'm sure it's got a microphone.

I loved the script, G_W. It really flowed well, and all the stories (articles?) were a good length.

I heard what Classical was saying about the slipping accent, but that didn't bother me in the least. Your wife did a great job (the Hattie's face really fits her voice!!), but seemed like she was in a rush to get it over with :lol:

I don't know what your movie making software can do, but here's something to consider: You know that moving lip thing that Conan O'Brian does? Think that's possible? It would be pretty funny to see Qin's lips moving!

14. General_W

:lol:

Thanks for all the (positive?) feedback!

I agree with Peter & Classical Hero - the more different voices the better. I've got a friend over today, I'm trying to talk him into doing a voice... we'll see!

@ Peter - Unfortunately, the software I'm using, Windows Movie Maker, is pretty limited. I think I'm already pushing it about as far as it will go.
    I could put in full live video – but I can’t blend video with a static image. (ala Conan O’Brian) If anyone has a web cam and wants to record some live video for a future broadcast, that’d be sweet!

Please feel free to offer any ideas for future newscasts etc here. We’ll use this thread as a design thread for shaping international news!
    :salute:

P.S. Thanks again for all those with kind words to say, you guys make the work worthwhile for me!

15. peter grimes

peter grimes ...

You're going to post the News Broadcast, right??

I sure hope you're not going to wait for the rest of us to get off our duffs and contribute :lol:

Seriously, post the broadcast in the UN sooner rather than later, and we'll all work on a better edition for the announcement of the next wonder ;)

16. General_W

I'll post it on Monday.
    I'm still trying to pursade my friend to help with the voices. I won't get time to adjust it till Monday.
    So there's still time if any of you would like to get in on the reporter action! ;)

I don't think there's that big of a hurry - and I'd like the first product to be as good as possible with my limited skills and limited programs :)

17. Kylearan

Kylearan compound eye

Hi,

I agree, better post the thing soon rather than trying to get more voices.

I'm happy to record my voice for the next video if there will be one, although I wouldn't be surprised if you won't use it after hearing my accent. ;)

-Kylearan

18. General_W

Oh man!

OK – I cave! :lol: My friend bailed on recording another voice for me. I really never intended those voices I recorded to be anything more than placeholders :blush: … I’m afraid I’ve added a bit of unintentional humor to the video…

But I bow to team pressure and will post this in the UN right away.

I expect more voices next time!!! ;) :)

19. Memphus

Memphus Deity

Well it looks as if you have a big hit on your hands :goodjob:

20. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

I'd be willing to volunteer my voice for the next installment.