Effective use of air units (fighters/bombers)?

Sethyboy0

Chieftain
I'm wondering about what things should be done to maximise the effectiveness of air units. This seems to be where I'm at so far (beyond the basics):

- Use fighters to air sweep before bombing to ensure safety of bombers
- Grabbing air repair early rather than later on bombers allows for them to not need to have downtime repairing.

I also have a couple questions:

- How exactly does air sweep work? I know it stop an interceptor that can reach the indicated tile but does it treat all interceptors the same?

- How do you better fight back against units that can sometimes evade interception?

- Does the medic promotion on a land unit provide its bonuses to air units? If so, can the land unit be in the city as well or does it have to be one tile out? Also if so, does it stack (I don't use it a lot)?

- 1 air sweep gets rid of 1 interception. An promoted fighter can intercept multiple times.

- you don't. just put more intercepting units or use fighters upgraded with multiple levels of interception. eventually the odds will tilt your way. the air/missile game is the only old school "stacked" game in Civ V. so, stack more.

- edited: yes, apparently medics DO heal air. just tested it in game. didn't know that before.

Going from last to first, Medic does not stack, so only one medic unit is needed to heal units on a given tile. Medic II does stack with medic I, so double promotion is a good thing. Note, however, that the Medic promotion is carefully written -- "All units in adjacent tiles Heal 5 Additional HP per turn." If you want to heal air units in a city, do not put your medic unit inside the city center tile, since the healing effect does not apply to the tile on which the medic unit is placed. Put the medic unit on a tile adjacent to the city center.

Air sweep draws out both interceptors and AA/SAM fire. If you see multiple fighters and AA/SAM units, you may need to do multiple air sweeps before you are clear to send in the bombers.

If medics don't work while in a city, I guess that faith healers don't either? (pantheon bonus)

Top Bottom