Effectiveness of memsaver?

Appers

Chieftain
Okay, so I've always used memsaver in Civ IV. For those who don't know, it's an option in the .ini to lower memory usage but disables "device loss"- minimising civ. Together with a few other memory saving attempts, did the trick of making the game play flawlessly for me. Of course, since I used it along with the other memory saving attempts, I still have no clue how useful it was alone. I suspect it had quite an effect on the game, however, and so I've kept it 'til now.

Call it a few too many accidental windows-key-pushings. :twitch:

So, a few questions. Firstly, does memsaver still count device loss for minimising in windowed mode? I imagine that kinda defies its point if it does.

But more importantly, how effective to the actual, unmodded, vanilla, 1.61 game is it? Is it a negligible thing, one that can surely be done without, or the unmissable memory saver of the game?

Cheers.

Memsaver is and will remain unstable, and yes it will crash if you push the Windows key. However, the memory saving is quite noticeable - IIRC, it's at least three quarters of your video memory amount that's saved, from RAM.

It will crash, still, if you alt-tab out of it. Or at best, it will result in total graphic corruption.

Solver said:
It will crash, still, if you alt-tab out of it. Or at best, it will result in total graphic corruption.

Hmm -- not for me, and God knows I have enough performance problems w/ this game...in fact, it even worked fine on my older machine.

This sounds like it could reduce the horrendous waiting times I'm burdened with. Could you perhaps post some exact instructions relating to this "memsaver" (sounds like it could be a miracle cure for my ailing pc)?

Top Bottom