Effects of Hanging Gardens

Arjen42

Chieftain
I have a question about the Hanging Gardens. I know there are two effects of the Hanging Gardens (plus GPP and culture)

1. Extra health in each city. This is pretty clear.

2. One extra population in each city.

How does the extra population work? Is this a one time only growth when the wonder is built or does it work in another way? What if you found cities after you have built the wonder? What if you capture the wonder from another civ?

Thanks in advance!

One time only growth when the wonder is build. Any cities build after is not affected. And your cities are not affected either, if you capture it.

READ THE DOCUMENTATION!

What is it with these people...?

(I mean the Firaxis writers)

Thanks for clearing that up. I think now this wonder is pretty weak, unless you already have more than 10 cities. (10 cities * 1 pop = 10 * 30 :hammers: = 300 :hammers:) Although :health: is not abundant in the classical age, unless you have a lot of food plains or jungle cities.

In which cases is it a good thing thing to build the Hanging Gardens?

When you have stone or are Ind...

benefits:
-extra pop is not to be neglected!
-extra GPP... especially Engineer which is hard to come by
-1:health: per city is good later on

The gardens is often worth 300:hammers: If we say you have 4 cities when you build this thing that alone counts for 120:hammers: Then we have +1:health: in all cities, is that worth 200:hammers:? Usually Just look at the other buildings that provide health. And on top of that we get GE points, nice :)

The problem with the gardens is;
a)It requires masonry
b)It requires an aquaduct
c)The AI loves masonry and mathematics.

If I already have masonry and/or I need 1(or more) aquaducts pretty soon anyway then it's very attractive. Stone makes this wonder a bargain.

This wonder does more to impact your score than any other wonder. Early in the game an extra population point in every city bumps you up real high. If you are setup to handle such a pop increase in your big cities, it can be a turning point in the game for you.

Except for the final turn of a time victory, score doesn't do anything to help you win the game. In fact, it can hurt -- I believe the other civs treat you better if you have a low score.

It's actually one of my favorite wonders. Extra population point in every city? I'm usually over 10 cities by the time it comes (I play on huge maps, or larger with the map generator size over-ride). Plus my GP farms always grow rapidly and end up being sickly so I like the health. PLUS GP engineer points? So it helps you get other wonders down the road...I love it

It's most useful to end a period of frantic expansion where you have multiple cities that need to whip the basics to become profitable - a great way to shuffle production from an established city to the outskirts of your empire, especially if you have stone.

I like it on Immortal, but not on Deity (I can rarely have enough cities to make it worth it and still snag it).

Except for the final turn of a time victory, score doesn't do anything to help you win the game. In fact, it can hurt -- I believe the other civs treat you better if you have a low score.

That varies. Some leaders look favourably towards opponents with lower scores and dislike opponents with higher scores, but others are vice versa.

a great way to shuffle production from an established city to the outskirts of your empire, especially if you have stone.

So true. Sure, it costs 300 hammers for the city that builds it, but you'll build it in a city that can easily get lots of hammers anyway. It increases population in all cities, including ones which haven't really got running properly yet, and that extra population can be whipped, so it's effectively free hammers. Sure, you might not get 300 hammers worth of extra population out of it, but the point is, those hammers are very valuable in the cities where they end up, and relatively cheap in the city that builds it.

Top Bottom