1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Effects of the War of 1812 on the Military

Discussion in 'World History' started by carmen510, May 1, 2011.

1. carmen510

carmen510 Deity

So I decided to write my term paper on the topic of the War of 1812, in particular its effects on the American military. I currently have an only basic grasp on some of the effects, and would be highly appreciative of any clarifications or source material that any of you can provide. While I already have conducted my own (sometimes unsuccessful) search, any books, films, journals, or websites that could be useful to my research would be welcome.

1. How exactly did the war cause an increase of professionalism in the officer corps, and how did this affect future conflicts? I've heard precious little about this subject, and have found almost no analysis, sources, or in-depth facts related to this issue.

2. What were the effects of the war on American military tactics? I've read that Winfield Scott studied army organization and tactics in Europe due to the war, but I haven't seen what the results of these studies were, or how they influenced future military actions committed by the United States.

3. What was the effect of the war on state militias and volunteers forces? Again, conducted research, but found nothing truly in-depth.

4. What was the war's effect on American policies regarding Indians?

5. While I do know that the war convinced Americans about the need for an expanded and improved navy, I haven't found much information as to how this need was acted upon (ie, how the navy was improved). Any information/sources on this subject would be appreciated, especially regarding information related to naval tactics or how these improvements impacted US naval engagements after the War of 1812.

6. What was the war's effect on military fortifications and engineering projects, such as roads? Again, some preliminary investigations into this topic have provided scant information, but I know there's more in-depth material; I just haven't been able to find it.

2. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

Wait two days and I can dump Weigley and Latimer on you for 1., 2., 3., 5., and potentially 6.

3. ParkCungHee

ParkCungHee Deity

Just read Weigley yourself. He's pretty much necessary for this kind of paper.

4. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

On militias real quick, they pretty much demonstrated conclusively their uselessness. They established the precedent that was firmly used later that militias could not be forced to leave the United States.

For the naval question, that's an interesting thought. During the Adams administration, they started to build actual Ships of the Line, but Jefferson killed the spending. I don't think America ever completed them.

5. Dachs

True. Woudln't have expected a New Yorker to say that, though. :p

6. Communisto

Communisto Condottiere

Dachs I was handed an old book my dad found in his closet the other day. The hilariously titled "Incredible War of 1812" by J. Mackay Hitsman.

Ever heard of him/bash his stuff? Dunno if I should take the time to read this or just pick something better up.

7. ParkCungHee

ParkCungHee Deity

I spent a lot of time working with a professor who spent a lot of time working with Weigley at Temple.

8. Dachs

Hitsman is supposed to be a standard Canadian book about the war, actually. Should be worth your time.
    Ah, sweet.