Egypt - Cleopatra Thread

flash poll: now that we know basically everything about Egypt, should a mod change the name of the thread??

How about we just get the video added to the OP?

Seriously. The fact that people need to trudge through a 20 page thread to discover that a video was released this week is just silly. Some people literally just check the civfanatics forum to find out the new info.

Seeing this mammoth of a thread still lumbering around - I wouldn't click on it. I didn't in fact. It wasn't until my youtube account notified me that a new video was released that I realized there was actually a new and relevant conversation taking place in this three month old thread.

Even so, that button doesn't render it obvious that the pickup in discussion results from a brand new video.

Having been a volunteer moderator for the principal fansite discussion forum of another AAA video game, I get that it's a difficult and thankless job. That said, this decision strikes me as tending to obscure information without any prospective moderation benefits. If the new video were prominently shown on the front page with a link to the designated discussion thread, I could see taking this approach. As things stand, I can't.
Chill, guys. I've updated the OP, per many's requests :goodjob:

Nope you didn't. I believe only mods can do that.

Nope he did.

What us normal folk can't do however is change the name of threads.

Edit: oops. :Goodjob:

Editedit: also, nunor, the problem a few of us have is the fact that all discussion of the Egypt video is ferried away into this thread where things are bound to get buried.

For instance, I'm not sure if anyone but be has addressed the fact that the video documents Oil Wells as provided +2 production. This isn't pertinent to Egypt, but it's a fact taken from the Egypt video.

1. Is there a possibility of unique promotions for unique units?
Civ V had unique promotions for some unique units, so I think you'd have to say it's a possibility.

2. Is there a possibility of units not being able to upgrade in this itinerary?
I think this is unlikely. It would make promotions due to XP from combat almost that much less relevant.

Nope he did.

What us normal folk can't do however is change the name of threads.

Edit: oops. :Goodjob:

Editedit: also, nunor, the problem a few of us have is the fact that all discussion of the Egypt video is ferried away into this thread where things are bound to get buried.

For instance, I'm not sure if anyone but be has addressed the fact that the video documents Oil Wells as provided +2 production. This isn't pertinent to Egypt, but it's a fact taken from the Egypt video.

You can post it in the features thread or PM it to Arioch if you wish to see it documented.

Civ V had unique promotions for some unique units, so I think you'd have to say it's a possibility.

If the War Chariot is unique in that it is one of the few ranged mounted units in the game, I would assume it would have to have some pretty unique promotions. Of course, I am probably putting too much weight into the idea of unique promotions and it will end up just having similar promotions as any other ranged unit.

I think this is unlikely. It would make promotions due to XP from combat almost that much less relevant.

I agree its unlikely. I am still curious how they will deal with possible crossed upgrade paths between melee and ranged units.

Sure, but while the mods decide what to do, I just figured I would help to the extent of my possibilities :D

You can post it in the features thread or PM it to Arioch if you wish to see it documented.

Thus aborting any discussion before it can even be had. Do you really wanna live in a world where people can't say to one another "Uh, I dunno Oil Well should be +1 production" or "What, no, it should be +3 production?" Is that not a miserable prospect? This is America, goldarnit!

wait...

Thus aborting any discussion before it can even be had. Do you really wanna live in a world where people can't say to one another "Uh, I dunno Oil Well should be +1 production" or "What, no, it should be +3 production?" Is that not a miserable prospect? This is America, goldarnit!

wait...

Well, if you have a strong opinion on the production value of oil, you could make a new thread specifically on that topic.

I posted that and a few other things I found both in the Sreenshot thread and the Features thread this morning, so I think we're good.

Insulae economic policy: +1 housing in all cities with at least two districts (as well as five other effects)

Oh snap what? I've spent way too long trying to glean as much info as I could from here & the video itself and reddit & youtube comments and somehow went 9 hours without seeing this. Thx Seek.

Edit: also Desert has a movement cost of 1. Someone theorized that maybe units had a movement penalty traversing it. Guess not. Not Egypt at least.

I agree its unlikely. I am still curious how they will deal with possible crossed upgrade paths between melee and ranged units.
This was a fairly common circumstance in Civ V (Chariot Archer and Horse Archer upgrade to Knight, Camel Archer and Keshik upgrade to Cavalry); the way they dealt with it was just to have units with useless promotions.

This was a fairly common circumstance in Civ V (Chariot Archer and Horse Archer upgrade to Knight, Camel Archer and Keshik upgrade to Cavalry); the way they dealt with it was just to have units with useless promotions.

Well I'm pretty sure they announced that each unit will have their own set of promotions. Personally I took it to mean that a Warrior with 3 promotions will lose all 3 promotions once upgraded.

I hope this isn't the case this time around. Why repeat bad game design?

This is seriously amazing.

When I look at that, all my mixed feelings regarding 2d backgrounds, cartoonish art style and historical choice of Cleopatra... fade away

I have also fallen to a new low in my life: a willingness to date with sid meier's civilization character, for **** sake :p

They really ought to change this this time around... Imo, the best solution is to grant back the xp from the now-useless promotions, allowing the player to reassign useful promotions to that unit. Ofc the stats of the units involved would have to be balanced with this in mind... What that balance would entail would have to be judged differently in each individual case. Ideally there would be few units which would need this treatment; Mongol Horse Archers come immediately to mind, as well as perhaps generic War Chariots.

@Krajzen: Take yer grabby paws off my Cleo, you scalawag! :lol: I can already envision befriending her in every game... Befriend, yes, that is the word, ahem. :p

This is seriously amazing.

When I look at that, all my mixed feelings regarding 2d backgrounds, cartoonish art style and historical choice of Cleopatra... fade away

I have also fallen to a new low in my life: a willingness to date with sid meier's civilization character, for **** sake :p

I just want Shaka :mischief:

Well I'm pretty sure they announced that each unit will have their own set of promotions. Personally I took it to mean that a Warrior with 3 promotions will lose all 3 promotions once upgraded.

This begs the question, why upgrade? Certainly there will be instances where the number of promotions a unit has makes it equal to, if not stronger, than the non-promoted upgraded unit. Tough decisions make better game play I guess?

Top Bottom