1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Egypt - Cleopatra Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by nunor, May 25, 2016.

1. GenyaArikado

GenyaArikado Judge of Love

Model is beautifully done. The one who wasnt really beautiful was irl Cleopatra :p Also the way her skin looks like makes me think its supposed to be late thirties-early fourties Cleopatra (compare it with 18-25 yo Victoria)

2. Kurtbob

Kurtbob Prince

Neither can I. The wording used by the devs/narrator (I don't remember where the information came from now) was most probably misleading.

3. King Jason

King Jason Fleece-bearer

The easiest solution to solve the promotion issue you guys are talking about it to redo the promotions and make them mostly universal. To give an example of what I'm talking about; take civ5:

Accuracy I: +15% Ranged Combat Strength against Units in OPEN Terrain (NO Hills, Forest, or Jungle)

Shock I: +15% Combat Strength when fighting in OPEN Terrain (NO Hills, Forest, or Jungle)

There is virtually no reason those two promotions can't be the same thing. A simple increase in combat strength to the unit based on the terrain of the target being attacked. The one promotion that functions in such away that it could only be applicable to ranged units is the +1 range promotion; Which should be removed from the game anyway because it's ridiculously broken.

The only difference in promotion trees that need to exist are; Land, Sea, Air. As those 3 unit types are all functionally different. But if you streamline redundancies such as "Accuracy" Vs. "Shock", you end up with virtually the same promotions available to both ranged and melee units. Even "Logistics" (ranged) and "Blitz" (Melee) are the exact same promotion. Though I think those should also be removed because they're far too strong.

4. Seek

Seek Deity Supporter

Didn't Ed say in the dev commentary stream that promotions are much simpler/streamlined?

5. isau

isau Deity

Don't know yet how I feel about this Unique Ability regarding the rivers. Kind of wish it was a bonus based on the military power of her most powerful ally instead of just placement along rivers. Seems very chancy. But maybe the map scripts are more forgiving this time. I hated the "polder" improvement in Civ V because I could never roll the marshes I need to get them.

I do really like the Trade bonus giving other civs food tho. Way better than just the extra gold Morocco got in Civ V. Starting on the same continent as Cleo would make it majorly to your advantage to please her, and of course to do that, you need to build a military too. Great design there. Seeing Cleo nearby on my map might cause me to significantly change strategies.

6. m15a

m15a Emperor

There was some mention of the map scripts being adjusted because Civ VI testers were restarting until there were some mountains nearby. Rivers might also be more common (or more favored by start positions) especially since fresh water is supposed to be even more important now. But even in Civ V, rivers weren't *so* rare - not compared to marshes or even deserts depending on the map. A river starting preference would be better than desert or marsh or tundra anyway. If nothing else, it'd still allow a lot of variety since rivers are found all over.

7. darko82

darko82 Emperor

She has been moved to the right :lol: which is good, of course. She seems to cover more of that black area now.

I am happy Cleo is in. I voted for her in one of the polls over here.

The game does need cool personalities to make the game more fun and interesting, especially agendas, not like that guy from Civ V sitting on a throne like a stone.

8. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

It's totally possible. Yes, historical chariots also require horses, but they don't require horses capable of carrying rider on their back. So if the game representation don't require horses, that's quite ok.

We've also seen it for China only, which means it could be Chinese unique unit. Considering Qin timeline, that's possible.

They could make unique promotions for some of the units. Like Caravels could have some regular ship class, but also have some unique promotions for exploration.

And I really hope this time we'll have some sane game system for transferring promotions between classes and on corps/army join.

9. JtW

JtW Prince

I don't know. Chariots not needing horses bothers me a lot for some reason.

For the record, isn't there a "normal" early unit called "heavy chariot" or something like that? The Maryannu will probably be the Egyptian version of that.

10. Pipa6

Pipa6 Chieftain

Same bother. JtW

11. Ikael

Ikael King

I am seriously impressed with Egypt's uniques design:

- Uniques that synergize with each other (bonus towards wonders which in turn gives bonuses towards your sphinx improvements which in turn...)
    - Bonuses that reinforces the "play with the map" design while giving unique flavour to Egypt, pearl of the Nile
    - Historically accurate bonuses that synergizes with your agenda and that allows for greater roleplaying (trying to befriend Egypt in order to access Cleopatra´s delicious, lush food bonuses towards trade routes)

Seriously, the more I hear about the inner workings of Civ 6's design, the more I am sure that it will surpass Civ 5. This is going to be a legendary civ entry on the same level as Civ 2 or Civ 4, mark my words.

The sacred Band of Thebes. Ideal for the Pride day, too! :p

12. Tagma

Tagma Chieftain

That's the Thebes in Greece, not the Thebes in Egypt sorry!
    The little bits of Egyptian military history I know mostly involve them getting flattened by Assyria or Babylon or Hyksos etc. Not the best foundation to work with for UUs, sadly...
    Anyway, I agree 100% with your analysis of the uniques. Civ 6 is going to be something special and I can't wait for the next First Look video!

13. Felis Renidens

Felis Renidens Prince

Only with young Victoria, sexy Cleopatra and a Japanese leader that's also looks handsome I kinda pity the Americans... At least they will have movie-stars from their film-studios. :p

14. Karmah

Karmah Emperor Supporter

I'm definitely in the gameplay > picky realism side, so Cleopatra as a leader of Egypt works fine for me. She's associated with ancient egypt in my mind anyway. Washington as a leader of Egypt would have been immersion breaking. Cleopatra as a leader of Egypt seems only fair and logical.

Now in terms of gameplay she is interresting. She is the trading partner of the warmongers , that's quite an interresting position. She gives you bonus food when trading with her and loves you for your military. If you ever tried to be a warmonger in civ5 , you 'll know how valuable a cleopatra can be in your game.

And yet she is a wonder /builder oriented civ , which means she might hide behind her champions brutal civs while developing her own builder-oriented agenda with wonders and cool districts.

So yeah a big +1 for a very well designed civilization.
    I'll have fun trying her once for wonder sugar-rush as well as playing with her as an IA in my game I think

And the agenda mecanism combined with the UA makes the strategy obvious and easy to draw even for a (dumb?) AI.

15. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

There should be an Achievement for Rome called "Friends with Benefits" when you have a Declaration of Friendship and a trade route with Egypt.

16. GenyaArikado

GenyaArikado Judge of Love

That depends of whether we get Caesar or Octavius

17. Stringer1313

Stringer1313 Emperor

This is a minor suggestion but I hope the AI also prioritizes trading with Cleopatra in order to get her bonuses.

18. the_jeff

the_jeff Chieftain

I'm kind of hoping for neither, honestly. I've had enough Julio-Claudians. How about a Hadrian or a Constantine?

19. Alex Khan

Alex Khan Chieftain

If we talk about iconic leaders, why they don't put Tutankhamun? He is more iconic for Ancient Egypt than that hellenistic queen.

In my opinion , I prefer Hatshepsut than Cleopatra.
    Hatshepsut was a iconic and great leader ....and aunt of Thutmose III.

20. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

You could review the first 10 pages of this thread for an extensive and far more polite version of this discussion to cover all the points you've brought up, which we had weeks ago.