1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Egypt - Cleopatra Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by nunor, May 25, 2016.

1. Westwall

Westwall Emperor

One that doesn't involve calling Cleopatra a whore.

That's pretty goddamn sexist.

Moderator Action: Please report posts that you have issues with instead of engaging the poster.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

2. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

I didn't want Cleopatra either, but I'll be the last to deny that she was a brilliant woman who got dealt a very bad hand and made the best of it. I would have preferred an actual Egyptian pharaoh, but I admit I'll take Cleopatra over Tutankhamun, whose only accomplishment was the fact that, by mere chance, his tomb was not completely plundered.

3. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Not many of us, not even me, like the choice of Cleopatra, but I think we can all admit that her agenda is well picked and her character animation is amazing.

4. Felis Renidens

Felis Renidens Prince

Yup. I may need to send her to hug the asps from time to time (if she builds a wonder too many) but at the very least she will turn out as a leader that I love to hate.

5. cakes

cakes Prince

i fail to see the problem then

6. Denkt

Denkt Left permamently

The Ptolemaic era did see the construction of both the great library and the great lighthouse which are two world wonders that have been in most civilization games.

I have not heard anything really terrible about Cleopatras VII rule for the common people and politicaly she was very successful as she ended up ruling Egypt which had been far from certain.

She could speek Egyptian language which was rare for her dynasty.

7. StrideColossus

StrideColossus Warlord

We are getting 'big personality' leaders - how about Nero?

8. moysturfurmer

moysturfurmer Emperor

We also probably wouldn't call her a slut. Then again the rest of us are grown-ups with grown-up brains and grown-up tongues.

9. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

Well besides that, even if you prefer a different choice you probably wouldn't get really fixated and adamant about it.

10. Nick31

Nick31 Prince

I strongly, strongly object to the language on this thread and I urge the Mods to step in and delete the misogyny. "Slut" is an incredibly sexist and vicious term in general, and all the more so here given that all the male leaders from the ancient world had concubines and mistresses galore.

I feel the mods have dropped the ball here and it does a disservice to all of us. And certainly saps my enthusiasm for the ongoing dialogue.

11. BttLsht

BttLsht King

But he is right albeit he used such a harsh word, it was a means to an end for her, she needed to secure Egypt from the ever growing power of Rome.

12. Denkt

Denkt Left permamently

The unqiue traits for Egypt are now much more creative then just a pure wonder production bonus.

13. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

So I guess we can expect to see a video for China next week?

14. Eagle Pursuit

Several posters think so, but only Firaxis knows for sure.

15. Sansa_Stark

Sansa_Stark Prince

I assume you fanatics already know it, but is it clear already what all 12 builder action icons represent? I am curious esp. about that beach chair/umbrella in 2nd row, and flower in 3rd. Its @1.23 in video.

As far as I can tell (using CiV terminology, Quarry and Mine may be other way around, I don't remember CiV icons):
    1st row: Offshore platform, Camp, Fishing Boats, Farm
    2nd row: ?, Lumber Mill, Pasture, Mine
    3rd row: Sphinx, Oil Well, ?, Quarry

Any ideas? That beach stuff might be something related to tourism, the other one I have no clue.

I also hope that lumber mill will be somewhat useful this time around, I can hardly remember if I used it in CiV, I always though that farm > lumber mill in almost any situation.

Attached Files:

16. Eagle Pursuit

We've been discussing it in the Screenshot Analysis thread. We are also speculating that it is some sort of resort.

17. Sansa_Stark

Sansa_Stark Prince

Thanks, my bad. Somehow I neglect that thread, I need to do something with that :)

18. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

And we suspect the "flower" is a plantation.

19. Iapetus303

Iapetus303 Warlord

I think there's still a place for more specific promotion trees.

Consider CIV, with most promotions being universal, but with ranged units getting promotions relating to city and hill defence, and extra free strikes; melee units getting city attack and forest defence; mounted units with withdrawl bonuses; and artillery getting defence redution and collateral damage bonuses (plus the free strikes and city attack bonuses that ranged and melee get).

Ah, but they thrashed the Hittites at Kadash. Totaly. We know that because Ramesses said so, and he was there. You wouldn't call Ramesses a liar, would you?

20. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

One thing that could be worth discussing is what goes in the "Sphinx" spot for other civs. Will it just be empty, if the civ does not have a unique improvement?