1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Egypt - Cleopatra Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by nunor, May 25, 2016.

1. GermanSettler

GermanSettler Warlord

Personal preferences and historical accuracies are one thing... but I agree with others here that as a leader-choice for a CIV-game, Cleopatra can hardly be disputed to be a reasonable choice.

Same goes, for example, for Barbarossa for Germany.

2. Sansa_Stark

Sansa_Stark Prince

Hey mods, I love that you unified civs/leaders threads, but somehow you forgot on Cleopatra :)

3. bite

bite Unofficial Civilization Cartographer Moderator

Thank-you missed one Title changed

4. Abraxis

Abraxis Emperor

Is this thread really 30 pages of people complaining about cleopatra, or did I miss a page with discussion on its mechanics?

5. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Most of it is complaining. Only maybe the last 10 pages might be mechanics because this thread was started before we got Egypt's First Look.

6. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

I noticed that they used the Native Egyptian names for the cities now. Ra-Kedet for the capital, (Alexandria in Greek), and Iwnw (Heliopolis in Greek). That's a nice touch.

I hope they do that for the Mayan cities (instead of having the Spanish name Palenque, for example)

7. Atlas627

Atlas627 Deity

I would prefer if they didn't do that, but I agree that it is a nice attention to detail.

8. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

Yes, I appreciated that as well; also noticed diacritics on the city names now instead of plain type. :D

9. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

Sorry for bringing this thread up again but I just have to say:

YAY for egyptian city names. I hated the greek and modern city names in CiV, and now I've spotted, that in Civ VI they finally seem to use egyptian names!

Moderator Action: Please help us keep the forums family friendly by using appropriate language. Word removed.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

10. Atlas627

Atlas627 Deity

I took some time today to look up the corresponding Egyptian names for many of the Greek names. If it were not so drastically different, I would have really enjoyed the Egyptian names.

It will take me some time to get used to associating the Egyptian names with the locations they represent, but I think I will like this change once I get used to it.

Edit: If anyone readily knows the associated names, making a chart would probably help a lot of people. Knowing how to pronounce the Egyptian names in English might help, too.

11. VermelhoRed

VermelhoRed Prince

Great!

Greater!

Btw guys, it's written São Paulo, with a tilde, so it sounds more like sun-POW-loo than sow-POW-loo, just a pronounciation tip.

12. NagaPrince

NagaPrince Chieftain

It annoys me not that they chose Cleopatra, which is becoming cliche at this point but I am indifferent of her, its the fact they keep representing Bronze Age Egypt. Becoming boring.

What annoys me is how come they can't represent Classical Antiquity Aegyptus, with an elite Greek phalanx or bodyguard unit as their UU instead of the typical chariot. They could choose Cleopatra or Soter too. They could essentially replace the Pyramid centrism with it focused upon the Great Library or the Lighthouse.

This is what I commented on the Steam post:

"I'm confused. This isn't necessarily "Ancient Egypt". Ancient Egypt I know is the Classical Antiquity era ruled by the Ptolemaioi aka Cleopatra. Firaxis can't be this blind and not know that, must be because most people don't know. But these chariot archers are Bronze Age contemporaries, if they truly wanted to give an Egyptian unit that represented Cleopatra's Antiquity era, they'd put in their elite Greek units that settled Egypt, like the Pezhetairoi or Klerouchikon Agema elite phalanx, or the Basilikon Agema Royal Guards to replace Pikemen. Or how about the Hetairoi, the elite heavy cavalry known also as Companions developed by Alexandros and Philloppos that were used by all the Greek Successor States (Diadochoi).

Adding these Bronze-Age Eygytian's under Cleopatra is so... wrong and backwards. Might as well replace Cleopatra with an Egyptian Pharaoh from a thousand years or two back."

Know what would be cool? An advanced Egypt with Gamal Abdel Nasser leading it. More Culturally and Civically inclined Egypt that respects territorial integrity and Cultural civilizations, but is equally ferocious perhaps against those antagonizing him border-wise.

13. Magil

Magil Monarch

Civilization is under no obligation to line up unique units to the specific time period or even era of the rulers, and it has not done so in the past. Pretty sure Pedro II died before the first Minas Geraes-class battleship was ever produced, the Sea Dogs predated Victoria by a fair amount of time, and the P-51 Mustang is well past Teddy Roosevelt's time.

14. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

correct pronunciation is still a thing of research and will never be sure. But sadly it's far away from the transcriptions - for example Nefertiti is probably pronounced Nafteta as far as current estimations go.

I could make a list once I see more than the three names I've seen until now. (since I consider the names from the first look videos (Giza, Thebes) more unlikely to be in the game now.)

15. Loaf Warden

Loaf Warden (no party affiliation)

I love the idea that they've gone with the native Egyptian names instead of the Greek names this time. If only they'd paired that with a native Egyptian ruler instead of a member of the conquering Greek dynasty. But then, what would history be without ironies?

I still hold out hope that there will be multiple leaders coming eventually, and that we'll get a proper pharaoh as an option for Egypt. Of course, Alexandria would then not be the correct choice for a capital whatever they called it. But for all we know, different leaders could trigger different cities to get founded first, and thereby have different capitals, which would be very cool.

16. NagaPrince

NagaPrince Chieftain

I never said they were under any obligation, I'm just sharing my personal opinion as you are.

I don't think I'm necessarily "wrong" in sharing it either; they just keep up with the same one or several things. In Civ3, Civ4, and Civ5, Germany has the "Panzer". They have plenty of other technological choices available. But I am not professing any guilt with the Cleopatra rant. I think Ptolemaic Egypt is actually pretty cool. They could theoretically give the Egyptians the Galatian's as a Melee UU.