Egypt - Cleopatra Thread

And?

Victoria as an Indian leader wouldn't make much sense. Neither would Napoleon as leader of the Netherlands or Alexander the Great as leader of Babylon or Persia.

All of these where leaders over the stuff you list at some point. But they are most associated with a specific nation and for Cleopatra that nation is Egypt like France is for Napoleon.

End of the day she is BY FAR the most well known leader of Egypt. She's an instantly recognizable character in modern western culture, and boosts the discussion of the game amongst non-fanatical circles.

She is a good pick for firaxis and it's coffers. :goodjob:

If we're gunna start picking apart the historical accuracy of a game like civilization we're going to have to pick up the pieces of our shattered souls at the end of this thread. I just hope she has as interesting a personality and gameplay style as it sounds like she does.

End of the day she is BY FAR the most well known leader of Egypt. She's an instantly recognizable character in modern western culture, and boosts the discussion of the game amongst non-fanatical circles.

If we're gunna start picking apart the historical accuracy of a game like civilization we're going to have to pick up the pieces of our shattered souls at the end of this thread. I just hope she has as interesting a personality and gameplay style as it sounds like she does.

I think in the matter of picking Egyptian leader, Civ 4 and Civ 5 actually have more accuracy while didn't really lessen the discussion. Whether people know the leader or not, most would discuss about the leader in-game. For example, Ramkhamhaeng is not a recognizable character in western cultures but still spur an discussion due to his quirk in-game.

@King William : and it could be a lot better :/

What was wrong with this? It seemed like a perfectly sensible choice given the circumstances.

But Brythonic is so easily reconstructable, and there are plenty of inscriptions of blessings and curses she could have quoted verbatim. If worst came to worst, she could speak Gaulish and it would still have been closer than Welsh. Personally, Boudicca speaking Welsh is the bizarrest linguistic choice they made out of many bizarre choices, including Ramesses' Egyptian Arabic and Harun al-Rashid's Modern Standard Arabic.

I like the choice of Cleo. She's a well known figure from Egypt's history. And it could be a lot worse, it could've been Tut

Wouldn't have been a worse decision in my estimation: he may not have accomplished much, but neither did Cleopatra and Tutankhamun was at least Egyptian.

If this is a ploy to sell Ramesses or Hatshepsut later on--I would buy that DLC in a heartbeat. There are civs I don't care about--I may think Dido is a questionable choice for Carthage, but I don't care about Carthage--they could make Suleiman the Magnificent great leader of Greece for all I care (and I might actually perversely enjoy the political firestorm that ensued)--but Ancient Near Eastern history is a passion of mine and choosing a non-Egyptian pharaoh out of 4000 years of Egyptian pharaohs is just outrageous to me. On the plus side, it will probably be very simple to mod her name to Hatshepsut; if she's dressed in Egyptian fashion, it will then be very simple to ignore the idiotic choice to go with a Hellenistic ruler.

I wonder if Seleucus is Persia's leader now? ;)

But Brythonic is so easily reconstructable, and there are plenty of inscriptions of blessings and curses she could have quoted verbatim. If worst came to worst, she could speak Gaulish and it would still have been closer than Welsh. Personally, Boudicca speaking Welsh is the bizarrest linguistic choice they made out of many bizarre choices, including Ramesses' Egyptian Arabic and Harun al-Rashid's Modern Standard Arabic.
It's not historically ideal but I don't really find bizarre, it's a modern descendant of the language she spoke which seemed to be running theme of V's choice of languages. Elizabeth basically speaks modern English in an accent, Enrico Dandolo speaks modern Venetian, William didn't even speak Dutch etc. At least Welsh is directly related to Common Brittonic unlike Ramesses' Egyptian Arabic. Then again I'd consider getting Brittonic over a substantially attested* language to be a bonus, not an expectation.

*Old Irish is the earliest Celtic language that is considered "well-attested" AFAIK

It's not historically ideal but I don't really find bizarre, it's a modern descendant of the language she spoke which seemed to be running theme of V's choice of languages. Elizabeth basically speaks modern English in an accent, Enrico Dandolo speaks modern Venetian, William didn't even speak Dutch etc. At least Welsh is directly related to Common Brittonic unlike Ramesses' Egyptian Arabic. Then again I'd consider getting Brittonic over a substantially attested* language to be a bonus, not an expectation.

*Old Irish is the earliest Celtic language that is considered "well-attested" AFAIK

I think it's fair to call Gaulish well-attested. But I have a strong interest in historical linguistics, so I found Civ5's decision to include spoken languages fantastic but some of their choices of language extremely odd. If they can reconstruct Phoenician for Dido (as fragmentary a language as you could care to find), they could have had Ramesses speaking Coptic or Boudicca speaking Brittonic or Gaulish.

I am rather surprised that queen Nefertiti has never made ( to my knowledge, I may be forgetting now ) a appearance as a leader of Egypt. I think she would make a good religious-oriented leader.

But Cleo is a good choice, I think. After all, she is probably the best known queen of ancient Egypt. My guess about how she is going to look like ... probably Elizabeth Taylor as a Disney queen :p

I think it's fair to call Gaulish well-attested. But I have a strong interest in historical linguistics, so I found Civ5's decision to include spoken languages fantastic but some of their choices of language extremely odd. If they can reconstruct Phoenician for Dido (as fragmentary a language as you could care to find), they could have had Ramesses speaking Coptic or Boudicca speaking Brittonic or Gaulish.
It seems to run on a case by case basis, they contract somebody to find the relevant people and seem to get mixed results. The trainwreck that was Attila's Chuvash be the notable example, versus say Gajah Mada speaking Old Javanese. Using Arabic in place of Egyptian was a problem they had in Civ IV as well. Personally I'm glad they're keeping the languages in, I imagine there was a temptation to drop it because of the logistic nightmare it might be.

wrt Gaulish I am only going off what casual bits I've read, it seems many scholars don't consider it be "well-attested", whatever the classification criteria for that is supposed to be. I imagine certain aspects of Gaulish are simply not well-understood or sufficiently documented.

I am rather surprised that queen Nefertiti has never made ( to my knowledge, I may be forgetting now ) a appearance as a leader of Egypt. I think she would make a good religious-oriented leader.

But Cleo is a good choice, I think. After all, she is probably the best known queen of ancient Egypt. My guess about how she is going to look like ... probably Elizabeth Taylor as a Disney queen :p

At least that would be better than the Civ Rev version.

It seems to run on a case by case basis, they contract somebody to find the relevant people and seem to get mixed results. The trainwreck that was Attila's Chuvash be the notable example, versus say Gajah Mada speaking Old Javanese. Using Arabic in place of Egyptian was a problem they had in Civ IV as well. Personally I'm glad they're keeping the languages in, I imagine there was a temptation to drop it because of the logistic nightmare it might be.

wrt Gaulish I am only going off what casual bits I've read, it seems many scholars don't consider it be "well-attested", whatever the classification criteria for that is supposed to be. I imagine certain aspects of Gaulish are simply not well-understood or sufficiently documented.

Is Gaulish well-attested? Certainly not compared to Latin or Akkadian or Egyptian or even Sumerian--but certainly well enough to record a few lines of diplomatic dialogue in. How similar Gaulish and Brittonic are is a matter of scholarly debate, ranging from "dialect continuum" to "related but not closely," but either way Gaulish would sound more like Brittonic than Welsh does. And as I said, there are enough blessings and curses inscribed in Brittonic to cover Bouddica's dialogue...

The Ptolemies deliberately interbred to avoid contaminating themselves with Egyptian blood; she was 100% Greek. If Cleopatra was Egyptian because her ancestors had been in Egypt for a couple hundred years, then by the same logic George Washington was Native American. Again, they had 4000 years of Egyptian pharaohs to choose from; there was no need to resort to a Greek who presided over the civilization's collapse.

By that logic (ie) the USA-born kids of chinese who married other chinese people arent american. Hell Obama himself, does he not count because he is from a minority? Lmao

Well then, I hope Rome's leader will be Augustus Caesar now. So I can "roleplay" him [pissed]

Thats pretty much set in stone, like Elizabeth, Alexander and Genhis Kahn

I think "led to its doom" argument is more of "become part of another empire" instead of "lost a chuck of territory and got someone else installed as a leader... and make everyone back then hate liberal". ;)

Arguably she delayed it. They were pretty much already screwed.

This.

I have no problem with Cleo, although not really traditionally Egyptian, as long as she's hot...

No George Washington for USA?
Teddy's the only one this time around?
Instead of George Washington how about the great George W. Bush?
eh? heheh

So what do you think her UA/UU/UB/UI will be? Do we know the UU is the chariot again? Personally I think it is a quite boring UU in Civ 5, Its super fast, but the chariot already was fast, so I hope for something more interesting.

The UA could maybe be diplomacy related or religious, or maybe sand/river related somehow.

What do you think?

That remind me... Will Civ 6 have some diplomatic text like "Care for some salad? I made it myself." ? :crazyeye:

There are more great Roman Emperors to choose from too.

I suspect Caesar is back, but any of the 5 'good' emperors would do.

And?

Victoria as an Indian leader wouldn't make much sense. Neither would Napoleon as leader of the Netherlands or Alexander the Great as leader of Babylon or Persia.

Don't forget Alexander the Great as a leader of Greece, Qin Shi Huang being the leader of China or Frederick II or - god forbid - Bismarck being leader of Germany.

Bloody Macedonians, Quins and Prussians!

EDIT: And don't forget Catherine the Great, another Prussian, this time on Russian throne.

Top Bottom