1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Egypt - Cleopatra Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by nunor, May 25, 2016.

1. m15a

m15a Emperor

Not sure if you know, but the leader screen for Teddy Roosevelt was already revealed (in video, not just the still). I would think that would be a much stronger indication of the art direction than Civ Online. Highly stylized: I'd say yes, but it does not really resemble that Civ Online cover art. (Although I'll admit that I'd never seen any images from Civ Online until I saw that picture posted here a few days ago. And also forgot the game existed.)

2. poom3619

poom3619 Ping Pang Poom!

I have a theory that Firaxis will never go that far to help the modder and "supporting mod" is a better word for marketing instead of indication of final product. As is tradition for Civ.

3. Stilgar08

Stilgar08 Emperor

If I compare this to TR from the gameplay-sequence provided there's a lot of difference! And this is good IMO. Stylized yes, but very differently from Civ Online.

Also: The mini-portrait of Qin Shi Huang looked totally different compared to this one. That said, I have no problems with short dressed female leaders of the world but I would like Cleo to look a bit more "grown up/sophisticated" in the "real Civ-Branch" which is coming out in its 6th iteration now. Civ rev, civ online and all "the little civish games" are just product extensions, trying to make the extra dollar out of it and to me don't stand the comparison (although I know some here desperately try to make the link that civ6 is going to be a tablet,mobile, boardgame :rolleyes: )...

4. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Wasn't Civ Online a Firaxis-licensed product from 2K China rather than Firaxis? I doubt Firaxis exerted a great deal of design control on it.

5. CoolLizy

CoolLizy King

For the record, Civilization Online is a project of Korean studio XL Games and is still in beta. 2K China is dead at this point; CivRev mobile & CivRev 2 was their thing, not CivOnline.

That said, yes, Firaxis likely has little input into CivOnline, although Sid did do some promo videos for it and Christopher Tin (of Baba Yetu fame) did the CivOnline theme song.

6. otaman1

otaman1 Prince

Cleopatra wasn't truly Egyptian. If Firaxis wanted a woman leader for Egypt, they could've chosen Hatshepsut. Also, I still don't get why they keep making Gandhi the leader of India :undecide:

7. Stilgar08

Stilgar08 Emperor

this has already been discussed to death on the last 8 pages of this thread... anything new to this part of the discussion?

8. Civciv5

Civciv5 Grand Emperor

Gandhi as the leader of India is getting really annoying. Would rather have an actual ruler as India's leader

9. nunor

nunor King

Well, he's not yet confirmed in Civ6 (his appearance in the trailer might be a red herring), and the guy from BAStartGaming said it would be very plausible to expect that Firaxis won't reuse any of Civ5 leaders.

He gave me hope that Gandhi, Alexander, Isabella, Napoleon and Catherine may finally be taking a well-deserved rest.

10. Eagle Pursuit

I noted that as well and have my fingers crossedo that we see more new faces than returning ones.

11. GenyaArikado

GenyaArikado Judge of Love

12. GenyaArikado

GenyaArikado Judge of Love

Hell no.

I kinda hope they make Marie Antoniette France's leader just to laugh at pissed off people

13. Dark_Jedi06

Dark_Jedi06 "Deus ex Machina."

Here's to hoping this is true! I loved having leaders like Pericles and Asoka in Civ IV. There's many good leader choices for the "mainstay" civilizations, so I hope they go outside the box a little bit like they did with Teddy Roosevelt.

14. Art Grin

Art Grin Emperor

That would be quite a pleasant surprise.
    But wasn't Monty mentioned in some article?

15. UkrNixon

UkrNixon Warlord

Don't forget that Monty in Civ5 is Monty the First, while all previous civ games used Monty the Second. So Firaxis can just use Monty II again, and technically it won't be the same leader as in Civ5.

16. Art Grin

Art Grin Emperor

All hail the Eternal Monty! :bowdown::bowdown:

But if they're actually trying to not use a single leader from Civ5 then it's going to be quite interesting to see whom they pick.
    Some civilizations like Spain might for the first time ever get a new leader.

17. CoolLizy

CoolLizy King

Based on what evidence?

18. Eagle Pursuit

He's interviewed Ed Beach.

19. CoolLizy

CoolLizy King

No, I mean like, what exactly did Ed Beach say that led him to this conclusion?

20. Iapetus303

Iapetus303 Warlord

But the Queen is Indian.

Edited to add more meaningful discussion:

Do we know if there is going to be a hard-coded limit of one leader per civ, or if there is an option (whether in vanilla, or modable) to have a choice of leaders for a civ?

That would solve most of the problems people are having - the Egyptian civilization could be given the unique units, buildings, etc that best represent its history. And then we can have alternative leaders with different personalities and agendas that affect how the AI plays (and possibly other traits that would also affect the human player).