1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Egypt never collapsing in warlords

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rhye's and Fall of Civilization' started by Mercenary82, Dec 18, 2006.

1. Mercenary82

Mercenary82 King

As the title above says, my problem is that the Egyptian civ is never collapsing in warlords, although they usually did by the time European civs spawned in the vanilla version. This is getting pretty annoying since they tend to be a bit overpowered and unrealistically ruin my colonization efforts in Africa.

Now I don't mind them surviving occasionally, but I think the way it was in vanilla with them collapsing more often than not, is much more realistic, and leaves more room for new civs to expand (the Egyptians will be back later anyway).

One of the problems is Egypt settling Ethiopia before Axum spawns, giving them extra production and allowing them hilled cities to help hold the impis off.
    Also the camel archers don't seem to hit them as much as in vanilla, due to less of them spawning and Carthage absorbing them.

Anyway possible fixes I suggest would be increasing the camel archer spawn closer to Egypt, and causing its city in Ethiopia to flip to the independents (or some other way of not letting them have Ethiopia without conquering it
    would be fine if possible)

Any ideas or comments?

2. ohcrapitsnico

ohcrapitsnico Deity

I agree Egypt if anything should be the first civ to collapse(ie- the hyksos) not china or carthage. Those 2 civs have never failed to collapse in any game I've played.

3. Surtur

Surtur Warlord

I wrote this in another thread:

4. REDY

REDY Duty Caller

Imade collapse of Egypt by my active role:D I played as Arabs.

5. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

right. I'll take care of that :D

6. SkippyT

SkippyT Who?

yes, I agree. The Egyptian empire becomes too huge, always - and never collapses..:confused:

7. Stacmon

Stacmon Explorer

Has it been considered to add a minor Zulu (like Celts)/generic African civ with a sizable number of cities in southern Africa?

What I often find is that Egypt faces no impediments to southward expansion and ends up huge amounts of territory.

More Independent/Native-African/Zulu cities in the Southern half of Africa would give more of that "colonization and displacement" feel.

8. Mercenary82

Mercenary82 King

yeah but unfortunatly sometimes Egypt is too strong for the Arabs to take out, and usually they have their hands full with Babylon.

9. REDY

REDY Duty Caller

Maybe will help if Egypt will be in Roman, Arabic and English interest?

10. ohcrapitsnico

ohcrapitsnico Deity

Hey Rhye, any chance of weakening barbarians spawns in china?

11. Mercenary82

Mercenary82 King

Has it been considered to add a minor Zulu (like Celts)/generic African civ with a sizable number of cities in southern Africa?
    A couple Idependent cities spawn in Africa, Mbzanga Kongo, and Aksum.
    The problem is Egypt always settles Ethiopia before Aksum spawns.

12. Phallus

Phallus Freudian Slip

In the rare occasion that Aksum spawns, it always razed by the nearest AI. We could probably solve this problem if the Natives weren't permanently at war with everyone.

13. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

barbarian adjustments have been made in latest patch

14. Mercenary82

Mercenary82 King

Thanks Rhye!

15. Marmoteo

Marmoteo Chieftain

I played two games with the latest patch, and I'm still seeing the egyptians as a major power by the beginning of the Middle Ages, even after the Arab comes in. Same with Babylonia, they always end up surviving (shouldn't they usually get crushed by the Persians/Greeks?)

16. REDY

REDY Duty Caller

To be fair, I never saw Babylonia survive...its civilization which collapsed every day. But I havent played last version...

17. Mercenary82

Mercenary82 King

Yeah I just tried 2 games as the Turks myself and checked on Egypt using worldbuilder. They were still around with like 5 or 6 cities and a pretty large army. Carthage was dead both times, but Babylon was still around with a fairly strong army also. I think the problem is Egypt just always is able to spam way too many units for the barbs and Arabia to deal with.

18. Riker

Riker True Metal of Steel

I played as Egypt with the new patch. I've only seen few impis and when I already had the required culture to win the UHV.

Regarding the UHV, it's way too easy. I had two cities for most of the game (the capital and one west of the nile on the coast), later joined by Sin, Jerusalem and the barbarian city in Ethiopia. The wonders are yours, no one seems to oppose. I grabbed Artemis, the Tower of Pisa and Stonehenge too. Babylon declared war but without sending troops for many turns. And then declared peace in exchange of polytheism... Persia tried too but victory was too close. And the artist from music is like an instant win

19. Prestidigitator

Prestidigitator Prince

Egypt already gets bombarded by hordes of Impis from southern Africa. I'm not sure though if they came from cities or they were generated.

Egypt is usually moderately easy to take when playing as Babylonia, I enjoy that as it somehow simulates the Assyrian conquest on Egypt. Other than that, Egypt turns to stay.

20. Mercenary82

Mercenary82 King

I just Played a game as Egypt on Monarch and have to say that by far they are the easiest civ to play now. I managed to take out Babylon, Persia, Carthage, and India with war chariot rushes, and even managed to raze a Chinese holy city (causing china's eventual collapse to barbs) with the last couple war chariots I had left.
    By the time Arabia spawned I also had most of the good wonders, Parthenon, Pyramids, Stonehenge, temple of Artemis,
    Great Lighthouse, Great Library, and the Oracle. Barbs were not a problem at all still, the Impi's come in 3 stacks, and are no threat if you have 3 Axes waiting, and even with Carthage taken out, it didn't seem like I got hit by many Camel Archers either.