1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Egypt unable to build Farms until Biology?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rhye's and Fall of Civilization' started by Gorhaax, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Gorhaax

Gorhaax Warlord

Not sure if this is a bug but, why is Egypt not able to build Farms until Biology is researched? I do believe they had to grow food somehow.

2. Soda

Soda Chieftain

In RFC, nobody can build farms on flood plains until Biology.

3. Gorhaax

Gorhaax Warlord

Interesting choice. Guess i'll try again tonight. I've also noticed that my warriors can't pass through parts of jungle to the south of me. Why is that?

4. DC123456789

DC123456789 Deity

Most units can't pass through jungle. Use scouts in the early game.

5. Akbarthegreat

Akbarthegreat Angel of Junil

Spoiler :
    • New timeline: 500 turns, from 3000 BC to 2020 AD, with more emphasis on the Ancient and Classical
    Eras. There is only one game speed (scripted events have to be related to certain turns.)
    • Tech costs are tuned to flow in constant match with the timeline. During late game, civs that are behind
    in the tech race get some discounts depending on how much the technology is widespread.
    • Game year is hidden until the discovery of Calendar - earlier only the era is shown (Stone Age, Bronze
    Age, Iron Age, Medieval Era, Renaissance).
    • City founding is not allowed in tundra, ice or desert if far from water. This is for realism and speed.
    • Jungles don't grow, don’t allow cities and can't be removed until the discovery of Biology (unless on a
    resource that requires an improvement available earlier).
    • Jungles and Marshes are impassable to all land units except for animals, settlers, workers, scouts,
    explorers, spies, missionaries, jaguars, quechua, conquistadors, marines and navy seals
    • Flood plains can’t be farmed until the late game
    • Oasis tiles now produce 2/0/1 instead of 3/0/2 in order to balance civs like Egypt and Arabia with
    starting locations that would let them grow too much
    • There’s a new resource: cotton (Warlords/BTS versions only)
    • Tundra offers 0 food. No more rich cities way, way up north.
    • There are only 3 difficulty levels, but they are customized for each civ. This was necessary as starting
    locations are unequal.
    • Movement through ocean tiles costs ½ a movement point (similar as it was in Rhye’s of Civilization); in
    addition to this, naval units movement is increased to better fit the large map size. Now it’s really
    possible to cross an ocean in one or two turns. On the other hand, Work Boats cannot explore
    territories distant more than one plot from any civ’s borders
    • AI parameters of distance in city founding has been reduced in order to fit at least 4 cities in regions like
    Iberia and Britain.
    • Domination victory conditions have been tuned according to the map size and to the number of players
    (that dynamically changes)
    • Sid’s Tips are disabled
    • Several Unique Units stats have been changed for both gameplay and accuracy. Check the pedia.
    • Tweaked AI weights for training units and building wonders. Now Spain is more likely to build
    Caravels, while Egypt is more likely to build Pyramids, and so on.
    • Tweaked AI weights for research will lead to a very realistic religion distribution: you’ll see Hinduism
    founded in India, Confucianism in China and so on, without using any scripts. The only scripted thing
    is that Judaism and Christianity if not founded by a civilization early enough, will be automatically
    founded in Jerusalem or in a city nearby. Eventually, religions will spread in a very realistic way
    thanks to different spread rates from civ to civ, from religion to religion.
    • Open borders refusal threshold raised in order to make it realistically more difficult to move military
    units and especially settlers through enemy territory.
    • AI workers no longer build roads in useless (empty) plots, only where necessary
    • AI are more likely to trade cities in diplomacy screen
    • Max number of National Wonders per city is 3
    • Max income from a shrine is 20 gold
    • Nukes do much more damage. They are now a deadly weapon, as they should be.
    • Not every lake produces 2 food. Some are salt lakes, and thus produce 1 food, like coast.
    • A few wonders and buildings have been replaced or changed. See ingame Civilopedia for details
    • National wonders now have generic names. For instance, Wall Street is renamed Stock exchange (and
    for this reason, English Stock exchange is renamed Royal exchange).
    • Babylonian UB is the Ziggurat (Edubba in Warlords)
    • (Warlords/BTS only): Vassal stases are enabled on discovery of monarchy instead of feudalism
    • No tech brokering is enabled by default, and ends with the discovery of Mass Media
    • Sevopedia mod component is included
    • Mercenaries mod is included. Inner settings have been tweaked for a less time-consuming computing.
    Mercenaries are enabled until the discovery of Nationalism.

Contains all the small changes

6. Bigger66

Bigger66 Chieftain

there are lots of annoying changes you don't notice until you need them hehe. Since most people build cottages on flood plains, that one tend to gets overlooked.

The flux of domination victory (based on number of civs) got me. in an rfc rand game, I was right on the edge of it for many many years (fighting instability the whole time) - really annoying when you calculate you need one more city, then when you capture that city - surprise, the domination threshhold has changed (due to some distance civ sprouting up or being eliminated).

there are some more you missed Akbhar. For instance:

Golden ages changed
    - golden doesn't prevent anarchy from civ changes
    - first golden age requires 2 great people, not 1 (the national wonder w/ nationalism that triggers a golden age kind of offsets this, its a taj mahal that everybody gets to build)

And of course the plagues, which are pretty radical <g>

7. Akbarthegreat

Basically the changes BtS made to GA's were reverted. That stuff I just copied from the RFC Readme PDF.

8. Bigger66

Bigger66 Chieftain

I'm always finding small things that are different - like the scouts only have 1 movement instead of 2 (which I don't get - they are next to worthless in Vanilla civ anyway, why nerf them? they only really have a purpose in RFC-Rand games where you have to explore past a patch of jungle & marsh, now).

Also, worker actions seem to take a lot longer to complete (more turns).. I have to build so freakin' many of them in RFC, heh

9. morff

morff Warlord

If you are playing later start (600) you need 2 GP for first GA. However if you start from 3000 BC first GA consume only 1 GP. (Correct me if i'm wrong.)

10. Jusos2108

Jusos2108 Deity

You are wrong.

11. Power_of_Beer

Power_of_Beer Prince

and impis. These $%!() impis!! :mad:

12. morff

morff Warlord

I would swear i could start first GA with only one GP in 3000BC game as China, i'll try it again later...

13. blizzrd

blizzrd Micromanager

Khmer units can move through jungles too with their Unique Ability.

14. Akbarthegreat

I presume your last game was with MAli:D

15. DC123456789

DC123456789 Deity

Impis are very annoying as Ethiopia too.

16. morff

morff Warlord

Imps are bastards i agree, they are responsible for countless number of scouts killed during (but not only) age of exploration :)

17. Mowque

Mowque Hypermodernist

Heck, they are a pain when playing as Rome and grabbing North Africa.

18. Ataxerxes

Ataxerxes Deity

I find Impi's far worse for Ethiopia than any other Civ. Mali doesn't have too much jungle to deal with and Egypt has virtually no jungle unless it takes over Ethiopia. But the Impi are why I won't play Ethiopia-it drives me crazy having to protect nearly every tile on the border.