Egyptian Leader discussion and Poll

Which famous leader should represent Egypt

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Novu

Warlord
Which famous Egyptian leader should represent Egypt in Civ VI (Civ6)? Also included in the topic of discussion is how they should be presented as historically accurate or updated looks for modern "family friendly" sensibilities.

1. Cleopatra VII - Seducer of Julius Caesar, diplomat, and cunning political strategist. She changed the course of history by turning the ancient world on its head.

Spoiler :

2. Pharaoh Khafra - The great builder of the Pyramid and the Sphinx. Enduring symbols of Egypt that have lasted for five millennia.

Spoiler :

3. Pharaoh Ramses II - Ruled at the height of Egyptian power and known for building temples at Karnak and Abu Simbel.

Spoiler :

4. Queen Hatshepsut - First female Pharaoh and one of the earliest female leaders in history. She is known for building great monuments and trade expeditions.

Spoiler :

5. Queen Nefertari - Senior Queen to Ramses II who was both a scholar and diplomat

Spoiler :

6. Queen Nefertiti - Royal Wife of Akhenaten she helped create a religious revolution and then briefly ruled as regent Neferneferuaten after Akhenaten's death.

Spoiler :

7. Pharaoh Thutmose III - Most known for his military campaigns against the Hittites which culminated in the massive battles of Kadesh and the battle of Megiddo (Armageddon). He conquered both Canaan and Syria.

Spoiler :

8. Some other Queen or Pharaoh (please post below)

BONUS: Egyptian military units:

Spoiler :
Basic warrior training

Archer

Mace Warrior

Chariots

I loathe your Cleopatra description. But i want her

I wrote a longer description but I shortened to be fair to the other leaders in the poll.

Longer description:

Cleopatra VII was literally the most significant women to ever live because she changed the course of world history. What do you do when Julius Caesar shows up with at your door with his legions? Most leaders would just role over and die but not Cleopatra. She completely seduced him. It was the classic Venus disarms Mars story. Not only did she not get conquered; she used Caesar to strengthen her power. She paraded through Rome not as a conquered slave but as Rome's new Queen. Rome was still officially/unofficially a Republic at this time and now they were turning into monarchy because of this woman. Cleopatra was one of the major reasons why Julius Caesar was assassinated by the Senate. She made Rome the mightiest power of the ancient world look like fools because she puppeted and bewitched their leader. Then she did it all over again with Mark Antony only her luck ran out that time.

The whole ancient world changed because of Cleopatra. How much did history did change because her influence? Caesar was dead, Rome was plunged into civil war, Roman Republic ceased to exist. This is all because of one very seductive woman.

Nefertiti- I want more women leaders in the game, and she's sort of interesting, and rather beautiful.

2nd choice- Khafra. Let other mighty wonder builders look upon his works and despair.

Nefertiti- I want more women leaders in the game, and she's sort of interesting, and rather beautiful.

2nd choice- Khafra. Let other mighty wonder builders look upon his works and despair.

"Ozymandius" was written about Ramesses II. :p

But I'd like to see Hatshepsut. Yes, Ramesses was a powerful ruler (at least according to himself), but it would be nice for a change. I'd expect Khufu over Khafra, given that he was the builder of the Great Pyramid, whereas Khafra's pyramid is smaller and it's still disputed as to whether or not he built the Sphinx.

(Also, Hatshepsut was by no means the first nor last female pharaoh--but she was by far the most successful.)

Someone elsewhere suggested "couple" leaders could be interesting in the context of Justinian and Theodora--considering they were coregnant, I think either Akhenaten and Nefertiti or Ramesses II and Nefertary would make great "couple" rulers. Actually, I think just having Akhenaten would be interesting and new; the amount we know about him despite his successors' best efforts to blot out his entire dynasty speaks highly of his accomplishments, even if his reforms failed in the long-term.

I didn't want to choose "other" because I wanted to use my vote to choose from the options in the list, but I might have chosen Akhenaten if he was an option. Mostly, because I like the Opera. :culture:

I wrote a longer description but I shortened to be fair to the other leaders in the poll.

[snip]

Well then, I would say Alexander the Great's mother have more impact to the world history.

Because his son conquer what was left of Ancient Egypt (with history span almost 3,000 years before his birth) and indirectly make way for Greek Ptolamaic line of ruler to hold the title of Pharaoh of Egypt. Cleopatra VII was a last Greek queen of Egypt who made an impressive attempt to stop it's official demise.

I simply prefer the leader of Ancient Egypt to be Ancient Egyptian, and someone that made title of Pharaoh meant something more than foreigner's playground. ;)

Well then, I would say Alexander the Great's mother have more impact to the world history.

Because his son conquer what was left of Ancient Egypt (with history span almost 3,000 years before his birth) and indirectly make way for Greek Ptolamaic line of ruler to hold the title of Pharaoh of Egypt. Cleopatra VII was a last Greek queen of Egypt who made an impressive attempt to stop it's official demise.

I simply prefer the leader of Ancient Egypt to be Ancient Egyptian, and someone that made title of Pharaoh meant something more than foreigner's playground. ;)

Alexander the Great actually liberated Egypt because it was already occupied by the Persians since the 6th century BC. The Ptolemaic Dynasty saw a revival of Egyptian culture and oversaw the construction of two new signature world wonders: The great library of Alexandria and the Pharos Great Lighthouse. It was a golden age that rivaled the time of Ramses II and possibly even exceeded it. By the time of Cleopatra the Ptolemies were more Egyptian then they were Greek as they had been living there for 15 generations. Greece itself had already been conquered by the Romans more than a century prior to Cleopatra yet Egypt remained independent.

"Ozymandius" was written about Ramesses II. :p

But I'd like to see Hatshepsut. Yes, Ramesses was a powerful ruler (at least according to himself), but it would be nice for a change. I'd expect Khufu over Khafra, given that he was the builder of the Great Pyramid, whereas Khafra's pyramid is smaller and it's still disputed as to whether or not he built the Sphinx.

(Also, Hatshepsut was by no means the first nor last female pharaoh--but she was by far the most successful.)

Someone elsewhere suggested "couple" leaders could be interesting in the context of Justinian and Theodora--considering they were coregnant, I think either Akhenaten and Nefertiti or Ramesses II and Nefertary would make great "couple" rulers. Actually, I think just having Akhenaten would be interesting and new; the amount we know about him despite his successors' best efforts to blot out his entire dynasty speaks highly of his accomplishments, even if his reforms failed in the long-term.

Okay, obviously your Egyptology is superior to mine. :egypt: :goodjob:

Co-ruling couples sounds really cool to me. It would be great to have a few in the mix.

Does anybody know if they intend to stick with V style leaders and languages, ( in which case a duo is a lot of work ) ?

Which famous Egyptian leader should represent Egypt in Civ VI (Civ6)? Also included in the topic of discussion is how they should be presented as historically accurate or updated looks for modern "family friendly" sensibilities.

1. Cleopatra VII - Seducer of Julius Caesar, diplomat, and cunning political strategist. She changed the course of history by turning the ancient world on its head.

Baseless and historically wrong description, as has been already pointed out to you in another thread. Please, do not unnecessarily create new threads (while other threads already discuss the topic) just because you feel the need to shove your opinion down other people's throats.

Imagine what this forum would turn into if everyone made a similar poll for every civilization and leader they like or are a fan of.

Also, Hatshepsut all the way.

Hatsheput is my first choice, but if they're doing multiples I'd love to see Narmer, and/or Akhenaten with Nefertiti.

Cast a vote for Khafra just to shake things up a bit. If he build the Sphinx, he could deserve a turn in the game.

Ramesses is probably the most deserving, but I found him a little dull in CiV, so I'd be open to other options. Assuming no Ramesses, this is my order of preference:

1. Hatshepsut
2. Thutmose
3. Cleopatra (like it or not, she's probably more famous than Ramesses, and she was a queen at least. Also she'd make a *fantastic* CiV-style leader screen.)
4. Khafra
5. Akhenaten and Nefertiti (they'd make such an interesting leader screen together, but Akhenaten was a very unpopular Pharaoh so I'm not sure how fitting a choice this would be)

If Firaxis wants to continue to diversify things and balance gender representation (which I think is good), I think they should take advantage of an important and iconic female representation of a civ when one's available.

So... Hatshepsut. If there's enough female representation from other civs, then Ramesses.

Hatshepsut is fine. :)

Alexander the Great actually liberated Egypt because it was already occupied by the Persians since the 6th century BC. The Ptolemaic Dynasty saw a revival of Egyptian culture and oversaw the construction of two new signature world wonders: The great library of Alexandria and the Pharos Great Lighthouse. It was a golden age that rivaled the time of Ramses II and possibly even exceeded it. By the time of Cleopatra the Ptolemies were more Egyptian then they were Greek as they had been living there for 15 generations. Greece itself had already been conquered by the Romans more than a century prior to Cleopatra yet Egypt remained independent.

...Cleopatra VII was the first Ptolemy to even learn the Egyptian language or attempt any understanding of Egyptian culture. With the exception of Cleopatra VII, the Ptolemies were as Greek as any Athenian and proud of it; as for Cleopatra herself, she very deliberately embraced Egyptian culture and styled herself as Isis incarnate to start a populist revolt against her brother. A cunning tactic, but it hardly makes her Egyptian. Especially since it didn't work until she seduced Caesar.

Top Bottom