1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Egyptian Survival Challenge

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rhye's and Fall of Civilization' started by kbk, May 23, 2010.

1. kbk

kbk Chieftain

Edit: Link to the old thread: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=272814
    Much has changed since the old longevity challenge, but I'm still quite proud I made it all the way.

I made it from 3000 BC to 2020 AD with Egypt without collapsing. Churchill won a time victory. Monarch difficulty of course.

Some key factors:
    I founded 2 cities at first Per-Wadjet (capitol) and Niwt-Rst.
    I build about 20 wonders, founded both Christianity (Oracle), and Islam (Research + prophets). The funds from their shrines kept me in mercenaries and purchased techs from foreign nations until the beginning of the 20th century.
    I had 4 golden ages with the Mausoleum of Mausoleus, 2 from great people, Taj Mahal and olympic park I was close to a third great person GA.
    I got to liberalism first, and lead the tech charge until the 1700s.
    I was near collapse several times but managed to get a golden age or a civic change just in time to prevent it in each case. On a couple occasions I had a city declare independence, or granted it myself to keep myself afloat. At the end, Niwt-Rst did declare its independence, but I retook it right away. This somehow pushed my stability from -39 to -12.
    Towards the end of the game I kept afloat with defensive pacts. I had about 7 of them, and it almost cost me the game when I got involved in a nuclear world war. But I did not get nuked, and was able to stay out of the action.

Some key wonders:
    Great Wall to keep the barbarians at bay and keep natives busy with barbs.
    Mausoleum of Mausoleus for +50% golden age time.
    Cristo for no anarchy for civic changes
    Graceland & Wembly for resources to trade other civs so I could survive with my limited city count.

Things I was proud of:
    At the height of my meager Egyptian empire I Boasted 6 cities: Per-Wadjet, Niwst-Rst, Athens, Jerusalem, Abdju (1 E of Axum) and Tripoli.
    Not collapsing!

Things that could be done better:
    Get an actual victory, either time, space race, diplomatic or even culture.
    I didn't get the internet built, which might have let me get a space-race going.
    Not losing any city ever. This seems impossible if you have more than one city, but then again I thought just surviving was impossible.

Screenshots after spoiler
    Spoiler :

The state of the world:

My empire at the end of the game (Down to 3 cities)

I'm stable at the end of the game!

Per-Wadjet

Niwt-Rst

So, Who can do better?

Attached Files:

2. AnotherPacifist

AnotherPacifist Chieftain

Is it me or is it rather obvious that you can't collapse if you only have 1 city?

3. Cetrix

Cetrix Merovingian

Nice game :)
    But now... do it again but with 3/3 UVH ! :D

4. nody

nody Chieftain

Player can't, but early AI Netherlands with one city collapses often.

Nice story, kbk. Giving me hope and inspiration. One question: Is this BTS, Warlords or Vanilla?

5. kbk

kbk Chieftain

Exactly why I always had at least 2, except in the very beginning. No cheating!

BTS.

6. onedreamer

onedreamer Dragon

way to go, this is my favourite challenge and civ, so I know what it means to complete it :D

7. MrBanana

MrBanana Chieftain

Babylon survival is harder. I think I started one time, but I just patched so I don't have any saves. Definitely will try it again. I did manage to make peace with Arabs and keep my ciities in the 800s. Turks will be the hardest opponent.

8. aprogressivist

aprogressivist Chieftain

Is it? I've never had trouble surviving as Babylon...

9. onedreamer

onedreamer Dragon

no, it isn't harder at all. Egyptian survival is by far the hardest.

10. MrBanana

MrBanana Chieftain

Only flip ou might have to deal with is Arabia if you build the wrong citites. Babylon faces Persia, Arab, and Turkish flips. If you dont resist the flips, you end up with one or two citites tops.

11. civver_764

civver_764 Chieftain

When I play as Babylon I never have more than one city.

12. datu_urbiztondo

datu_urbiztondo Banned

Eliminating Persians are easy if you settled in Ashur as Babylonians, only if you don't mind losing UHV victory. Tech Mining and Bronze Working, then tech hunting. After founding Ashur, train workers and next, build barracks, don't be worried about your defenses since Shush will flip to you. Destroy Shush and have its only warrior to defend your only city. As early as possible, try to mine the copper and train 5 spearmen, lead them SW of Parsa, which is where the deer bonus is. Keep your eyes peeled as soon as the Parsi Peoples spawned, declare a war on them and strangely enough, they would only leave about 2 immortals defending the city of Parsa and expect it to be razed. If you have defeated the Parsi Peoples, you may want to settle on Parsa again, but near the coast this time. Now your next bottomline is - Eliminate the Middle Easterns. Note that this strategy won't work against the Bedouin Peoples, Turkish Peoples or any other civ (except Ethiopians)

Now, if you want to win a war against the Arabs and Turks:
    • Raze Sur, Yerushayalim, Hittite, and Gordion for extra money to boost your research, you will desperately be in need of money.
    • Do not settle westward until the arrival of Turkish Peoples
    • Train War Elephants and Catapults and Catapults and Catapults for preparation of war against the Caliphate of Arab (At this point, it's safe to settle on Jerusalem)
    • Trade with Rome, Greece, China, Carthage, Egypt, Ethiopia, Russia, and Germany (You don't want the colonizers to reach the New World before you do, and that's the job of Parsa)
    • Make sure India is weak, you want to have Dilli for extra income and be wary of the news when the Kashi/Mahabhodi was build because you won't be able to produce great prophet if you captured Dilli too quickly.
    • Make sure to have a nice relationship with your neighbor by not having a religious war against them, in other words, you should not have any religion.
    • Defeating Turks will be the hardest thing to do in-game. If you are in viceroy, it's possible to defeat them through teching gunpowder and training musketman.
    • Great Walls is definitely the best wonder you can ever think building, it wards off barbarians coming from Arabia and Turkestan.

13. kbk

kbk Chieftain

Egypt is harder because of stability and much poorer production. Babylon does indeed have more belligerent neighbors, but a little pre-emption and planning makes the babylon game much easier.

14. onedreamer

onedreamer Dragon

flips are highly predictable and easily resisted, plus it's not like with Egypt you can have more than 4 cities, but to compensate a totally worse economic situation, hence...