Egypt's a Wonder's wonder

gunnergoz

Cat Herder
If you are fond of grabbing wonders before anyone else, try the Egyptians. With their native 20% UA bonus for Wonder building, add the 15% boost from Tradition and then snap up the new religion founding belief bonus of 15% for wonders and you have a real powerhouse that can crank out wonders for half the normal cost.

This only lasts to the Middle Ages after which it falls back to a 35% boost, but is still a strong ability for players who like to turtle and build Wonders.

Rather look for marble and the 25% which last all game, then waste what will be 1 era belief. No way I can find a religion before 2nd era, I turn off the ruins. That was just a belief that I found very weak sauce.

But still, Marble + Egypt UA + the Tradition abillity is what... +50% wonders? +65% if you pick the faith? Good lord!

If you go though that route and get beat by the AIs in building wonders, no doubt you'll have to restart because you've invested all your resources into...what? Wonders that aren't giving you effects.

Rather look for marble and the 25% which last all game, then waste what will be 1 era belief. No way I can find a religion before 2nd era, I turn off the ruins. That was just a belief that I found very weak sauce.

Still, the wonder benefits (obviously) last the whole game, and could in the end be better than other religious abilities. I haven't chosen it and probably won't any time soon, but I wonder if someone out there won't find a strategy that shows us we're wrong.

Still, the wonder benefits (obviously) last the whole game, and could in the end be better than other religious abilities. I haven't chosen it and probably won't any time soon, but I wonder if someone out there won't find a strategy that shows us we're wrong.

Another benefit of grabbing all the wonders is "Denial". You keep them out of your enemies' hands. No Temple of Zeus for you, Attila!

The bonus is for 2 eras only, yes it last the whole game, but it is only effective really for one ERA. Unless you use Ruins, no one is finding a religion in the 1st ERA. And you would have to be real damn lucky on ruins to get one before 2nd era at any rate. But you are right, as we say it is not worth the cost, someone will make some nifty formula to tell us we are full of Bajahama. :goodjob:

I agree the best reason for any wonder is denial!! :)

The bonus is for 2 eras only, yes it last the whole game, but it is only effective really for one ERA. Unless you use Ruins, no one is finding a religion in the 1st ERA. And you would have to be real damn lucky on ruins to get one before 2nd era at any rate. But you are right, as we say it is not worth the cost, someone will make some nifty formula to tell us we are full of Bajahama. :goodjob:

I agree the best reason for any wonder is denial!! :)

Is it for wonders while your current tech level is in those eras, or for wonders FROM those tech levels? Yeah, most of them go fast anyhow, but once in a while you'll find that nobody has built one of them.

Current game playing Prince on TS Giant World map as Egypt I have built so many wonders that my score is over 400 at Medieval Era, more than twice that of any other nation. Also have more cities than most and 2nd largest Army. No warmongering and no one threatening me. No marble BTW and no faith from huts but considerable from Mosques and tombs in each city, 56 faith per turn and rising. Money's tight but have ample reserves due to many luxuries on tap and 20 happiness so can continue expanding cities to new luxury areas. Am about to found city on Atlantic W. African shore with an eye on New World next era. So it may not work for you but it is a lot of fun on this end!

Next to try this on king.

Is it for wonders while your current tech level is in those eras, or for wonders FROM those tech levels? Yeah, most of them go fast anyhow, but once in a while you'll find that nobody has built one of them.

Only good for Ancient and Classical Era's period. And the only wonder from those 2 eras I try to build is the pyramids, 2 free workes and 25% worker speed. As far as I can tell it never expires? The rest meh, rather get my science up so I can take over building the good wonders later!! :)

That was just a belief that I found very weak sauce.

Agreed. They should add an era to it or something.

It's only useful if you found the religion early, but if you found it early, you'll probably want to take a powerful faith that civs compete for.

Edit: I stand by this even though it makes Egypt's UA powerful.

I almost exclusively play the Egyptians for exactly this reason. But I can say that you still won't grab every wonder, especially in the first two eras. Every time I get beat to one I just hope its the AI using a GE.

For me its been about 3-4 I'll be able to finish before the AI some how does. I always do tradition first to get that wonder bonus too.

I almost exclusively play the Egyptians for exactly this reason. But I can say that you still won't grab every wonder, especially in the first two eras. Every time I get beat to one I just hope its the AI using a GE.

For me its been about 3-4 I'll be able to finish before the AI some how does. I always do tradition first to get that wonder bonus too.

Well there is that also, you can only lose the GL or Oracle so many times before you say f it!! My last 2 games England has been a wonder hog, not bad thing either the other AI's seem to like to gang up on the wonder hogs.

No way I can find a religion before 2nd era, I turn off the ruins.

It's only on Prince level, but I just did as Sweden without popping any faith ruins. Used city state finder's fees + barbarian camps to save up & buy a shrine in my capitol w/o having to break production of scouts/worker, then built Stonehenge, then grabbed the Desert pantheon just as I was founding city #2 in the desert and next thing you know I'd founded Pastafarianism when only 3-4 other civs even had pantheons. Marathon game on a huge Earth map fwiw.

Of course, I could only do that so easily because I didn't take that 15% wonder pantheon, but playing as Egypt & bumping into a Faith CS early it wouldn't be too difficult to found that pantheon + get to the policy to give yourself +50% wonder production, and then use that to power out Stonehenge and the GL or something...especially if you're lucky enough to have marble & it becomes +75%.

Egypt won't win on standard Deity, Egypt is considered low tier. You need units to win, and you can't have both wonders and units. War chariot is the worst UU in the game

Egypt can be a wonder's wonder only if their research is so good they get to the tech AND complete the wonder before any other civ actually got the tech. Otherwise you will never beat higher level AI on wonders no matter the production bonus.

overkill.

It's like playing boudicca and spamming shrine/temple, +faith pantheon/religion benefits. Is it cool? sure. Will it "make you win the game"? no.

I don't find Egypt's UA to be very useful. If any one civ starts with marble and you don't you have instantly lost your ability to out wonder everyone.

For this reason I find marble a bit OP, I liked it better in Civ 4 where marble would help with some wonders and stone and copper for others etc.

Top Bottom