1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Egypt's UP

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rhye's and Fall of Civilization' started by Bob III, Oct 26, 2007.

?

Power of Pharaoh or Power of the Desert?

1. Power of Pharaoh (Current)

21 vote(s)
    80.8%
  2. Power of the Desert (New)

5 vote(s)
    19.2%
  1. Bob III

Bob III Lazy Roamer

Ok... we all know that Egypt's UP is useful in the beginning, but worthless later in the game. So I have come up with a new one, also representing a powerful aspect of Egypt. It is the "Power of the Desert" which is this: Enemy units recieve __damage per turn while in the desert within your cultural borders. This is in likeness to the fact that it was difficult to attack Egypt, due to the loss of soldiers in the desert. I would say the power would become obsolete in the Industrial/Modern era (when the enemy enters it, not you)

So... thoughts? And Rhye, how difficult would this be to implement?

2. Rex rgis of Ter

Rex rgis of Ter Me I'm a Creator

Interesting. I do always have problems with Impi and Arabia because of such a weak military. It is too much like the Russian Up though.

3. sennomulo

sennomulo Friendly

Well frankly, the Egyptians, like the Babylonians, aren't meant to survive into the late game. Plus, the AI has enough problems getting the Arabians to expand into northern Africa like they should. This UP would make it nearly impossible for them if Egypt hasn't collapsed yet. I like things the way they are.

4. onedreamer

onedreamer Dragon

I agree with sennomulo, plus I would add that a UP of military nature wouldn't really suit Egypt, and that the current one is just about perfect for their UHV (one of the easiest I achieved thanks to the UP). Impis are absolutely not a problem with the copper, all you need is to build 2-3 axemen. This said, I think it's ok because I wouldn't imagine an Egyptian victory if not in the pre-medieval age.

5. Zhuge_Liang

Zhuge_Liang The greatest strategist

Agree with sennomulo. You won't see their war chariots in the medieval age or the renaissance and besides, if the AI egyptians go for the UHV, they'll have many culture because of the great library and others.

6. Lokolus

Lokolus Retired...

How about "power of the Nile"?
    Rivers in Egypt's borders get +1 gold. the Nile was the most important trade route and transpotation in Egypt.

7. Rex rgis of Ter

Rex rgis of Ter Me I'm a Creator

8. Úmarth

Úmarth Megalomaniac

Was it difficult to invade Egypt though? Sure it's hard to fight in desert, but hardly anybody lives there anyway. So you generally just need to claim you own huge areas of desert and have nobody disagree rather than actually do much might fighting. And imo strongly suggests Egypt as being a bit of a "wimp", following the Persian conquest it came under the successive ownership of the Greek, Roman, Arab, Ottoman and British empires - never gaining independence for a significant amount of time until the last century. The new unique power I think would not reflect that.

9. SilverKnight

SilverKnight Prince

Now there's a good one. :) More original, other than an "Egyptian Winter," lol.

SilverKnight

10. tariqari

tariqari Warlord

That's a great idea! Actually before I got into Rhyes for CIV 4 (was still in CIV 3 for awhile..), I had thought since all the civs get UPs, Egypt would have something to do with the Nile.

11. tariqari

tariqari Warlord

Good point

12. onedreamer

onedreamer Dragon

the Nile bonus wouldn't help their UHV and it's quite unoriginal (not unique). I think that converting a couple of river deserts into flood plains would help more than this power ^^
    Did you know the word desert comes from egyptian btw ?

13. Virdrago

Virdrago Wandering

Egypt was conquered by Assyrians, Persians, Greeks, Arabs, etc. coming south from the Nile delta by following the river. The Nubians took Egypt by going north up the Nile. None of them bothered going through the desert. The Egyptians all lived around the river, so controlling the Nile meant you controlled Egypt. So, I'd say the power of the desert would be moot.